Two Minor Wayland problems

Two minor Wayland problems (although I was delighted to discover today that Wayland has finally become usable on my rigs with Plasma 5.27.4, both with and without the nvidia driver):

1. The system hangs on shutdown, with the message:
Broadcast message from root@localhost on pts/1
The system will reboot now!

… forcing me to use the Magic SysRq key, or wait a full two minutes for SDDM to continue to shutdown.

1. SDDM doesn’t remember on reboot that I want to return to Wayland.

I can live with these issues, but if anyone can suggest a fix, I’ll be grateful.

An update: I fixed problem 2 by changing the last line of /etc/sddm.conf.d to:

RememberLastSession=true

Problem 1 persists, and sounds related to https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=445449 . If from the terminal I issue:

/lib64/qt5/bin/qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 0 2

the system goes promptly to the logout screen, and allows a normal, speedy reboot. If on, the other hand, I change the command to:

/lib64/qt5/bin/qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 1 2

to instead invoke reboot, it gives me the ‘System will reboot now’ message, and delays ninety seconds before reboot. (Not two minutes. This time I clocked it.)

I’m now on sddm 0.19.0-11.1, brought in with the 20230425 snapshot.

Possibly waiting on a process to terminate… I see this occasionally…

When I see the delay, I press ESC to see the console, and I see it’s waiting on a process and it shows a timer running. After about 60-90 seconds , it proceeds to shutdown. (It is rare though , maybe one day I’ll track down which process is hanging)

Thanks for the feedback, myswtest. I’m going to leave well enough alone. I have Wayland, at last, and only need to take one quick extra step for reboot/shutdown. Not a big deal.

A suggestion to test: Create a new user, and check whether the desktop shutdown issue remains in that situation.

Hi, deano_ferrari: This I did, but I’m afraid the behavior with the test user account was the same. (Thanks for the suggestion, though.)

I’m going to leave well enough alone. Reboot/shutdown now requires one extra step and an extra five seconds, but I’ve got Wayland, and can wait until the issue is resolved in a future update.

Yes, it does read like it is related to the bug report you linked to.

I post with a late correction to my second entry, above:

“I fixed problem 2 by changing the last line of /etc/sddm.conf.d to:”

should read:

“I fixed problem 2 by changing the last line of /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf to:”

Sorry, all! It’s too late to correct the original message.

Issue 1 is a known bug, when using a Plasma-wayland session. It will be fixed in the next sddm release.

For now, choose “logout”, and then when you’re back to sddm, choose reboot or shutdown from there.

2 Likes