USB Grayed out can't add USB devices in Virtualbox

done after uninstallation and after installation, nothing to do still doesn’t work,
ps.As a buffer I can try to learn to use QEMU, hoping it doesn’t cause problems

in cockpit i have this logs

I just now checked VB in my main stationary pc, last time I used USB in a virtual win 10 machine on this PC it worked just fine ~ a week ago, nothing has been done to this afterwards, now it does not work. Same as above, I can add the USB filter, but in win10 they are all greyed out. Then I have two PC have the same. Something must have happened at some update.

(TW, KDE)

/rogerf

If you are on a Windows Host - the problem needs to be reported to Oracle VirtualBox.

The Kernel not installed with the executing ‘/sbin/vboxconfig’ only shows up on my computer host when I am running Oracle’s VirtualBox rpm after I install it.

If you install Oracle’s OpenSUSE rpm - you have to remove it to run OpenSUSE’s.

You can always run Oracle’s VirtualBox rpm’s instead of OpenSUSE’s but you have to disable Secure Boot or sign the Oracle’s rpm yourself and add it to your computer’s signatures.

I am running Opensuse TW as my OS. Have installed Virtualbox from Yast. Have added a win10 machine in the Virtualbox. The USB passthrough worked flawlessly last weekend. I have since done nothing other than run zypper dup. Now the USB passthrough does not work.

Simple as that.

1 Like

Who knows if it works out of the box on micro OS, I wonder if it’s a bug in the distro.
By following the documentation to the letter there should be no unexpected events, then I formatted everything to try again and nothing changed

I have the same problem with QEMU!
Schermata del 2024-02-08 16-47-50
but CD works!

OK. The kernel 6.7.2-1 does not work with USB on guests.

Just rebooted and it fails on my TW now.

2 Likes

Just wait then I suppose.

Can’t downgrade?

It appears to be in the libraries that got upgraded - I have gone back 5 kernels and one version of VirtualBox and USB choices are greyed out on all. So the latest zypper dup broke this.

I would suggest going back to last Thursday’s snapshot if using btrfs.

I will be restoring to last good backup.

Not sure what libraries affect the USB logic.

It also fails on pure Oracle VirtualBox TW host as well.

Unfortunately I have a clean installation of TW :sob:, Can you see if KVM works for you? I’m very curious, that doesn’t work for me

Can this be useful? Install package Virtualization / hyper-v

I you’re sure that is the problem, then we won’t wait so long for a solution because 6.7.4 on Arch works fine with Virtualbox.

Thank you for everything, so if there’s any news, will we let you know? I rolled back to before I made all those strange changes, I’m waiting for news to proceed with the installation

I have confirmed that the Saturday backup (snapshot) works fine for the USB - later ones do not.

Do not zypper dup host after reverting to Saturday backup.

We have filed a Bugzilla about this. Now we wait.

3 Likes

The fix is to execute this as root or sudo

chmod 0660 /dev/vboxusb/*/*

for reasons unknown the script is not doing chmod 0660 but 0640 which prevents the USB from being accessed by members of group vboxsusers.

Thanks to Javier de San Pedro for finding this

3 Likes

Is the bug related to permissions on QEMU too? THX

Forgive my ignorance but what do the asterisks mean?