Update Error related to ffmpeg-6-mini-libs-6.0.1-2.1.x86_64

Conflict text —> openSUSE Paste

I see the same issue in German here. Ffmpeg-6-mini-libs - Nichts stellt 'this-is-only-for-build-envs' bereit

Also found this for ffmpeg-5m but I don’t have anything i586. Update Error related to ffmpeg-5-mini-libs-5.1.2-10

It’s happening on multiple computers running Tumbleweed. Just for S&Gs, I’ll check my one running Leap 15.6
Any ideas?

Information for package ffmpeg-5:

Repository : Packman Repository
Name : ffmpeg-5
Version : 5.1.4-1699.9.pm.3
Arch : x86_64
Vendor : http://packman.links2linux.de
Installed Size : 2.4 MiB
Installed : No
Source package : ffmpeg-5-5.1.4-1699.9.pm.3.src
Upstream URL : https://ffmpeg.org/
Summary : Set of libraries for working with various multimedia formats
Description :
FFmpeg is a multimedia framework, able to decode, encode,
transcode, mux, demux, stream, filter and play several formats
that humans and machines have created.

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20240114
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.113.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.6.11-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-9850H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Memory: 125.1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630
Manufacturer: HP
Product Name: HP ZBook 17 G6

Yep. Searching the forum…

And reading Factory ML…

You may switch vendor back to openSUSE to be able to do a zypper dup

1 Like

They are working on fixing Packman repo - It grabbed the SLES version with a bad requirement that did not get out of QA.

It was supposed to reduce the work of Packman to get the SLES compatible versions - That might have been a mistake.

1 Like

Ignoring dependencies and updating now. Will reboot and see if all is well.

One is the result of the other…
If you would have done the vendor switch back to openSUSE, as recommended, also welcome would work. By ignoring dependencies, some packages may not work properly anymore and only half of the required packages got installed/updated.

Ignoring dependencies is often a reciepe for disaster…

Install libavutil58, libavcodec60, libavformat60 from openSUSE and welcome should be able to start again…

1 Like

Working on changing those 3 now…

Welcome is back…
Your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome is back!!!
Welcome is back!!!
Welcome is back!!! :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Why would people force the update and not just cancel it if it’s obviously broken? I’m not targeting a specific person here. I had the issue as well in the afternoon, but no matter what, the outcome would have been a disaster since it probably had wiped out my whole desktop environment. Waiting for a fix now :slight_smile:

Here is why. It’s just 1 out of 4 computers and all is well. Just needed to fix Welcome.

@mendres82 There seems to be a lack of understanding how it works on your side.

There where countless security updates for Tumbleweed pending today. By sitting it out and don’t take proper actions, you have a vulnerable system now.

It seems you did not read any of the linked threads. By doing the vendor switch from packman repo back to openSUSE, there is absolutely no disaster and all pending updates can be installed flawlessly…

AFTER the security fixes are installed, you have time for a fix of the packman repo…

1 Like

Sorry to jump in, I am in the same boat. How do I do the vendor switch?

The graphical way:

• open YaST software
  • View/Show → Repository
  • Mark repo-OSS on the left side
  • Switch System packages to this repo-oss (this sentence appears over the package tab)
  • Apply
1 Like

Well, then I’m probably taking the risk to be vulnerable for a couple of hours or maybe even a few days until the issue gets fixed.

In fact I did read the linked threads. I might be wrong, but doing the vendor switch back to openSUSE’s official packages, I would lose hardware accelerated decoding when using the affected codecs, right? So I would have to vendor-change again later anyway. Since this is only a gaming and multimedia machine, the decision to sit it out seems fair enough.

Only a few ppl actually use or need it. My gaming/multimedia machine did not suffer any problems from switching back to openSUSE repo…

If you don’t care about the integrity and security of your system…
I deem security and integrity of a system more important than any hardware accelerated encoding…

It’s fixed. Just updated another computer and had no issues.

1 Like

I can confirm, just did a zypper dup and no conflicts, kde was not removed, all good.

1 Like

Same here. All is working fine.

Just an FYI…
Had to switch those files back to packman.
Odysee, Rumble, and other video sites stopped working. Only YouTube continued to work.
All is well and Welcome still works.

Those who followed the advice to vendor switch to OSS should definitely switch back to Packman and be more patient next time. Arguing about sitting out a bad update for a few hours is just ridiculous.

Discussing security is never ridiculous. Sitting out a problem is ridiculous.
By sitting out problems, you never develope troubleshooting skills or skills how to solve minor computer problems…