Unable to Capture Audio from Mic

I recently installed openSUSE 11.4-64bit on my Gateway desktop, and I can’t seem to get my mic work at all. The mic is built into my Microsoft LifeCam Cinema webcam and works fine when I boot into Windows. The mic will not record sound in krecord or lame and doesn’t work during Skype sessions.

According to the literature for the device driver my the mic should be supported, and that is evidenced by the fact that the mic shows up as a capture device in in kmix. I have made this mic the master channel under capture devices and I have given it highest preference amongst my capture devices in both the Communications and Accessibility categories of kmix’s Settings/Audio Setup.

There was a very similar case solved in January:

How I got my Sound Input working (Thanks to Oldcpu)!

I’ve done my best to implement these fixes, but half of it looks like gibberish to me. All I was really able to do was update my alsa software and generate this comprehensive alsa.conf (its long, so I’ll wait to post it until asked).

This is the first problem I’ve had since updating to 11.4, and I gotta say: I’ve been really impressed so far. Any help here would be much appreciated.

I recommend when testing for basic mic functionality that one does NOT use krecord nor lame nor Skype, but instead use ‘arecord’. A simple ‘arecord’ command is:

arecord -vv -f cd test.wav

and dependent on the EXACT mic one tends to use there are more complex implementations of the command.

Gibberish ? Gibberish? Have you been seeing my wife and are just restating her views ? You MUST have been spending time with my wife !! … lol … … On a more serious note, could you explain where this turns to gibberish ?

My 2nd advice (after recommending you use ‘arecord’ for testing) is never never never never, in openSUSE, edit your PC’s alsa.conf. Please RESTORE it back to its original default settings. I likely can NOT help if your alsa.conf is anything but nominal.

Having typed the above, I really need more information from you (and alsa.conf is NOT what I need - it MUST go back to default). Our multimedia stickie has a quote that provides EXACTLY what I need: Welcome to multimedia sub-area and I’ll quote the salient section from that stickie for you :

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL/website-address that gives. Just the URL/website-address. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
Note if for some reason that gives you no website/url/address then run it with the no-upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

and post the file /etc/alsa-info.txt it creates to Pastebin.comand press SUBMIT on that site and again post here the URL/website-address it provides.

… some clarification on running the script “alsa-info.sh” … when you run:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

you should get something like this (if it asks for an update, select NO):
http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/9280/a5973e92794041.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (select the SHARE/UPLOAD option):
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/9280/5e84f992794044.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (its quickest if you simply select ‘NO’ to seeing the output - you will see it on the web page) :
http://thumbnails32.imagebam.com/9280/214da092794048.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (where in RED is the URL).
http://thumbnails23.imagebam.com/9280/d9858092794051.jpg](ImageBam)

Just post the URL you get (similar to the RED URL in my example, but yours will be different).

Again, if you can not get that, then run this with the no upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload
which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt. Copy that file and paste it on [Pastebin.com](http://pastebin.com) and press submit. That will give you a URL address. Please post that URL here.

Also provide the following:

• in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or newer, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

I should add that many of us find in openSUSE-11.4 that installing the application ‘pavucontrol’ and then running ‘pavucontrol’ when trying to record, gives us excellent control over our record devices and their interfacing to different record applications. For example in this thread http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/460207-looking-maybe-audio-mixer-use-pulse-audio.html (see post#4 and #5) I tried something a bit more complex than what you are attempting to do. Still, I think the illustration of the ‘pavucontrol’ tabs might be enlightening.

I recommend when testing for basic mic functionality that one does NOT use krecord nor lame nor Skype, but instead use ‘arecord’.

So, tried arecord and experienced more of the same–if only it’d had been that easy :frowning:

Gibberish ? Gibberish? Have you been seeing my wife and are just restating her views ?..On a more serious note, could you explain where this turns to gibberish ?

I can’t say we’ve met, but she sounds like an insightful lady ;). As for the exact point that I stop understanding whats really going on, its when he starts manipulating .conf files – I really have no clue what goes on in those files (see the line where he says "I was asked to post the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf " and everything below it).

never never never never, in openSUSE, edit your PC’s alsa.conf

Worry not–I didn’t edit it; I just opened it using /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh and then closed it…very carefully.

As for all of the information asked in the sticky, here it goes:

-The result of my foray into /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9cb4f7717d81ccdd5dbefc9fd32e9e794f5869ac

-rpm -qa ‘alsa’:

drucifer@Iggy:~/Desktop> rpm -qa '*alsa*'
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.24-39.2.x86_64
alsa-plugins-1.0.24-39.2.x86_64
alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.24-39.2.x86_64
alsa-oss-1.0.17-59.1.x86_64
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-59.1.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-37.1.x86_64
alsa-driver-kmp-desktop-1.0.24.20110604_k2.6.37.6_0.5-1.1.x86_64
alsa-1.0.24.1-90.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-39.2.x86_64

-rpm -qa ‘pulse’:

drucifer@Iggy:~/Desktop> rpm -qa '*pulse*'
pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.24-39.2.x86_64
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libpulse0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libxine1-pulse-1.1.19-4.4.x86_64
libpulse0-32bit-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libpulse-browse0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-39.2.x86_64

-rpm -q libasound2:

drucifer@Iggy:~/Desktop> rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.24.1-90.1.x86_64

-uname -a:uname -a

drucifer@Iggy:~/Desktop> uname -a
Linux Iggy 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-04-25 21:48:33 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

-cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf:

drucifer@Iggy:~/Desktop> cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
# 5Dex.k0B2MK7tdx7:SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
# l4dC.5wGb4atkBr4:RS780 Azalia controller
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel

I also went and installed pavucontrol. I’m looking through that right now.

Quick update: in pavucontrol, under the Input Devices tab, the microphone responds to sounds in the room (e.g. me snapping my fingers), so it looks like somewhere in the computer the mic is feeding in sound.

Ok , thanks.

I note a 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 with the 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop kernel running on your Gateway DX4300 (P01-A1) which has an ALC1200 hardware audio codec. I see you have updated your alsa driver version to the latest version on the openSUSE multimedia site (packaged by the SuSE-GmbH sound packager, who is also an alsa sound driver developer).

I note this from your script:

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 2: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
card 2: CinemaTM [Microsoft® LifeCam Cinema(TM)], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

which shows two mic controls: Card-0 on your motherboard: (hw:0,0) and one (card-2) appears to be a Microsoft webcam (hw:2,0).

Your webcam mic appears setup to record:

**Card hw:2 'CinemaTM'/'Microsoft Microsoft® LifeCam Cinema(TM) at usb-0000:00:12.2-3, high speed'**
  Mixer name    : 'USB Mixer'
**Simple mixer control 'Mic',0**
  Mono: Capture 49 **[88%]** **[on]**

Your Front Mic main capture however is muted such there can be no recording (capture OFF at 0% capture with 0% boost). You have source 0 (capture 0) assigned to that muted Front mic.

Source-1 (capture-1) is assigned to Rear Mic and it is also muted.

**!!Amixer output**
!!-------------

**!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [SB]**

Card hw:0 'SB'/'HDA ATI SB at 0xfe7f4000 irq 16'
  Mixer name    : 'Realtek ALC1200'
**Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0**
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -34.50dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -34.50dB] **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0**
  Front Left: 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB]
  Front Right: 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB]
**Simple mixer control 'Capture',0**
  Front Left: Capture 17 [55%] [9.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 17 [55%] [9.00dB] [on]
**Simple mixer control 'Capture',1**
  Front Left: Capture 0 **[0%]** -16.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 0 **[0%]** -16.50dB] [on]
**Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0**
  Items: 'Rear Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: **'Front Mic'**
**Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1**
  Items: 'Rear Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: **'Rear Mic'**
**Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic',0**
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -34.50dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -34.50dB] **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic Boost',0**
  Front Left: 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB]
  Front Right: 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB]

Now if you were only to move up your boost and move up your capture levels and change OFF to ON, you should be able to record from front (or rear) mic with:

arecord -D hw:0,0 -vv -f cd test.wav

or

arecord -D hw:0,1 -vv -f cd test.wav

and with your webcam mic with

arecord -D hw:2,0 -vv -f cd test.wav 

Using pavucontrol while running the more generic arecord command

is a good idea. Ensure in “input device” and also “recording” that you do NOT inappropriate filter the display but SHOW as much information as possible so as to see the sound being captured. The ‘arecord’ should show up as an alsa application.

Excellent. Now just direct the mic stream to the record application with pavucontrol ! :slight_smile:

I have some rather complex examples here: Looking (maybe) for audio mixer for use with Pulse Audio (see posts #4 and #5). Of course I’m adding a bunch of things you don’t need to do.

So, I think at least one of the problems here is that i don’t have a record application under the Recording tab in pavucontrol…

http://i.imgur.com/DhnJv.png

http://i.imgur.com/F1LuR.png

http://i.imgur.com/KScQY.png

From what I can tell, those applications were already sitting there in your examples above.

No that is typical when no recording application is running.

When you run the arecord command, then the stream will show up as an alsa streaming application. Did you try that ?

and if that fails try:

arecord -D hw:0,0 -vv -f cd test.wav

or if that fails try:

arecord -D hw:0,1 -vv -f cd test.wav

or if that fails try with your webcam mic with

Its also possible “analog stereo duplex” (under configuration) is not the correct setting.

Success! I’ve now made the mic stream my default recording stream by recording while adjusting the settings in pavurecord, and everything–recording sound with arecord, lame and krecord as well as my skype audio–seems to be working. Thanks for your patience and your awesome know-how, oldcpu!

Excellent and well done.

The ‘pavucontrol’ application is incredibly powerful in how it allows one to re-direct audio to/from applications and to/from audio devices. BUT it does require a solid degree of familiarity and I note it took me some time to wrap my head around it.

Sometime (perhaps after I kick this E Choli that has me hovering close to the washroom) I should write some sort of ‘pavucontrol’ recording guide for openSUSE. I think I do need, though, to improve my knowledge on this a bit more.

Hi,
I have a problem with microphone, and I found this thread.
After looking what opldcpu posted here about als-info.sh output,
I think that I found where is the issue.
Here are two parts frpm als-info.sh on my sustem:

ARECORD

card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 2: U0x46d0x809 [USB Device 0x46d:0x809], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

!!-------Mixer controls for card 2 [U0x46d0x809]

Card hw:2 ‘U0x46d0x809’/‘USB Device 0x46d:0x809 at usb-0000:00:12.2-3, high speed’
Mixer name : ‘USB Mixer’
Components : ‘USB046d:0809’
Controls : 2
Simple ctrls : 1
Simple mixer control ‘Mic’,0
Capabilities: cvolume cvolume-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum
Capture channels: Mono
Limits: Capture 0 - 17
Mono: Capture 14 [82%] [26.58dB] [off]

I think that it doesn’t record because Capture is off
Now I don’t know how to cahnge this to ON?
Thanks for reading.

If using openSUSE-11.3 with KDE4 or earlier, simply switch it on with kmix (or alsamixer if gnome). If using openSUSE-11.4 install the application pavucontrol and being careful in the configuration tab, output-devices tab (ensure you have SHOW set to all-output-devices) and recording tab (ensure you have SHOW set to all-streams) you can tune that mic.

Or you can type “man amixer” and figure out the exact command to tune the mic. Your post told me your USB mic is hw:2 … So it might be something like:

amixer -D hw:2 scontrols

to learn the controls for the USB mic, which on my PC gives:

Simple mixer control 'Mic',0

from which you can see IF on device ‘hw:2’ the USB mic is called ‘Mic’, then to unmute one would use something like:

amixer -D hw:2  set 'Mic' 100 unmute

BUT YOU NEED to play with this yourself to get the exact settings.

p.s. my handle is ‘oldcpu’, and not ‘opldcpu’ although I concede I can be dyslexic. :slight_smile:

Hi,
thank you for reply.
Sometimes I don’t see my spelling mistakes.
I made some progress after unmuting the 2 card with:

amixer -c 2 set ‘Mic’ 85% unmute cap

I use OpenSuse 11.4:
Linux nova-1a 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-02-21 10:34:10 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here are two fragments from latest alsa-info.sh output:
!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

Pulseaudio:
Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
Running - Yes

ESound Daemon:
Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
Running - No

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfe4f8000 irq 16
1 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
HD-Audio Generic at 0xfe5bc000 irq 51
2 [U0x46d0x809 ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x809
USB Device 0x46d:0x809 at usb-0000:00:12.2-3, high speed

======================

!!-------Mixer controls for card 2 [U0x46d0x809]

Card hw:2 ‘U0x46d0x809’/‘USB Device 0x46d:0x809 at usb-0000:00:12.2-3, high speed’
Mixer name : ‘USB Mixer’
Components : ‘USB046d:0809’
Controls : 2
Simple ctrls : 1
Simple mixer control ‘Mic’,0
Capabilities: cvolume cvolume-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum
Capture channels: Mono
Limits: Capture 0 - 17
Mono: Capture 12 [71%] [23.64dB] [on]

And pavucontrol shows (now) microphone responding to sounds in Input “Devices tab” so this has changed for better.
I tried arecord -vv -f cd this.wav
which created 3MB file but when I played in Amarok – still no sound?
Then after that when I try arecord -vv -f cd test.wav it makes only 44 bytes file?
Then I tried:
it came with error: arecord: main:660: audio open error: Device or resource busy.:|:|

I don’t know what you mean by that. Do you mean with pavucontrol tuned for your USB mic, when talking in to your USB mic you see the USB mic levels in the pavucontrol gui change ?

By default that will record on what ever device your mixer has selected, which may be hw:1 which is NOT your USB mic.

Possibly you also changed some other setting or you did not kill the process properly from the previous occassion ?

Are you stopping the recording with < ctrl > < c ? >

That suggests some other application is using the audio device.

Why not try that command IMMEDIATELY after a fresh reboot when there should be no other device using the mic ? Or if you get that error, then from a terminal list all open files associated with audio devices to see which files are open and from that deduce what application may have the audio device busy.

Thanks again for reply oldcpu !

Yes pavucontrol tuned to mu mic, it bounces when I speak even from half meter away from mic, blue indicator bounces 50-60% in “Input Devuces” tab.
Again arecord -vv -f cd test.wav doesn’t work… I tried after rebooting - it worked only once in few reboots,
but even then I couldn’t hear any sound when I played back via Amarok.
I stop arecord allways with Ctrl-C.
It still reports that hw:2 is busy - and when I did: fuser -m /dev/snd/controlC2
I got:
/dev/snd/controlC2: 2416 2696 2708 2864 2965 3265 4129 4265 4373 4374 4528 4705 4727 4812 4818 4821 11196 11233 11353m 11370
(I assume that is device for mic from what I saw in alsa-info.sh output)
I looked to those processes - but it is beyond my level of Linux/UNIX knowledge, to figure out which of those processes are causing the problem - and yet pavucontrol repots OK, it doesn’t complain
that other proces is using hw:2?
But one good news is thet I installed Skype afterwars - and microphone is working!
It is the first time microphone in Skype works - since I inastalled OpenSuse 11.4 im March. Then
(in March) I deleted all “pulse” libraries - and got it working without pulseaudio - till after first software update I got into
problems with pulseaudio again. So today is the first time microphone in Skype works fine with pulseaudio. And this was all because device hw:2 was off!
It would be nice to get acapture to work - but it is a secondary point.
I will try Audacity later - maybe it will work now as the Skype works.
Thanks for your help! Your previous posts to this thread and now your hint about amixer -D hw:2 set ‘Mic’ 100 unmute solved my main problem - microphone in Skype.lol!

OK, that is clear. The USB mic IS picking up audio. Could it be the problem is Amarok and not the test.wav via arecord? Did you try playing test.wav with another app, such as xine, mplayer, vlc or ffplay ?

There was a time years ago when I was enamoured with fuser to determine what was happening with one’s audio device, but now adays I simply prefer to list open files that are associated with sound devices.

Try:

lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/snd/*

and run that many times until you can understand its output. Run that after a fresh boot. Run that when playing audio with your favourite media player. Run that when capturing audio with Skype. etc … Eventually it will start to make some sence.

Excellent news ! Of course it was arecord that told us the USB was hw:2 :

ARECORD

**card 2:** CinemaTM [Microsoft® LifeCam Cinema(TM)], **device 0:** USB Audio [USB Audio]

ie hw:card#,device# or hw:2,0

and that was confirmed by:

**Card hw:2** 'CinemaTM'/'Microsoft Microsoft® LifeCam Cinema(TM) at usb-0000:00:12.2-3, high speed'
  Mixer name    : 'USB Mixer'
Simple mixer control '**Mic'**,0
  Mono: Capture 49 [88%] [on]

where from ‘man amixer’

OPTIONS
       -c card

Select the card number to control. The device name created from this parameter has syntax 'hw:N' where N is specified card number.

and it appears your command

amixer -c 2 set 'Mic' 85% unmute cap 

did the trick to unmute !!

… I’m not much of an expert with ‘amixer’ and like most users on our forum, I need to read the ‘man amixer’ each time and scratch my head (trying to avoid my bald spot while doing so).

Hi oldcpu,
when I thought all is fine, new issue arrived…
At one reboot I got message “Couldn’t start ksmserver. Check installation.”. I decided to reinstall OpenSuse 11.4 - as I did few times before.
I left atomatic parition setting - it formats only root partition - thats what I did before, and leaves /home partittion unformatted.
But this time it configures only two soundardas!

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfe4f8000 irq 16
1 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
HD-Audio Generic at 0xfe5bc000 irq 52

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5800 Series]

There is no USB - and microphone is using USB device. I have no problem with this device as I am using microphone from WindowsXP.
I don’t know how to proceed, as I installed 11.4 twice - and both times same - USB is not in Alsa list?:
Thanks.

With openSUSE running, remove your USB webcam, wait 20 seconds, and plug it back in. Then send the command:

lsusb

Does your webcam show up there? If this is a laptop with an integrated webcam, then just send that command (as it is impossible to unplug/plug being integrated).

If the webcam shows up in the ‘lsusb’ command, then send the command

arecord -l

(that is a lower-case ‘L’). Does your webcam show up there?

Hi oldcpu.
I found information about lsusb and it was showing Logitech webcam, but
whenever I did install of Opensuse 11.4 (since today - it worked before) OpenSuse installer wasn’t detecting that webcam device.
Then I tried with alsaconf - but iyt only made things worse. Somebodi posted that alsaconf doesn’t detect sound cards on 11.4.
Then maybe hour ago I found post about simil:shame:lar problem with same Logitech pro 9000 on OpenSuse 11.2:
Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 -SUSE 11.2
There somebody suggested to run:
luvcview -l
This program is in OpenSuse repos - so I installed it, ran it ( it starts webcam) and opens a window with frames from webcam, simmilar to video in Skype.
After rebooting - I ran alsa-info.sh and yes, USB-audio was as card 2 again! Also in arecord -l:

card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 2: U0x46d0x809 [USB Device 0x46d:0x809], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

So running ** luvcview -l** added USB Audio to configuration.
Well, strange thing is that I never had to do this before… this is what I don’t understand.
Thank you for your reply!:slight_smile: