Tumbleweed Install ISO having incorrect SHA?

Did anybody successfully create a bootable USB with "openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20240105-Media.iso’?

I am pretty blank with Linux and follow the instructions as documented on the OpenSuse Installation page.
All such worked fine for Leap 15.5 using RUFUS on Windows 11.

Now i try to upgrade to Tumbleweed. I downloaded the ISO via Opera on W11. Etcher failed as always before, but RUFUS again saved the day and created a USB as DD image. But booting from such fails with a validation error for ‘shim SBAT data’.

So i tried the same on Leap 15.5, downloaded the ISO again this time via Firefox. I used ‘Image Burn’ for creation of a ISO USB. interestingly ‘Image Burn’ shows on top an SHA256 number, which is different from the string posted in the OpenSuse Installation page.

The resulting ISO USB failed to boot with same error message as experienced before with those USBs created via W11.

Is the provided ISO semi-optimal - or are all my USB sticks broken? If my USB sticks are broken, why does ‘Image Burn’ display a different SHA256 before writing?

Or would you all recommend staying with Leap coz it works? (I am into gaming, but my Hardware is a few years old.)

That’s a different issue. It is not related to the checksum.

To deal with this, you will need to disable secure-boot in your BIOS. After that, you should be able to boot the USB. This is due to an incompatibility between Leap and Tumbleweed. See bug 1209985 for more details.

1 Like

Oooh! My Leap Installation is using Secure Boot. Does such still work even if Secure Boot is off in UEFI? Can i re-activate Secure Boot later again after Tumbleweed upgrade (I saw tick box options in the Setting of Leap - i love YaST.)

Btw: This Forum is pretty awesome. I found meanwhile how to check sha256sum myself and got via terminal, that the downloaded ISO is okay. Such indicates, that your suggestion really makes sense - i shall follow your hint.

Thanks, mate.

Yes, Leap will still boot if secure-boot is disabled in your BIOS (or UEFI firmware). Toward the end of that bug report – mostly comment 52 – there is a guide as to how you can reset the SBAT level. I do not know how long we will have to wait for Tumbleweed to update shim to the latest level.

You can leave the secure-boot settings in the boot loader. It is the BIOS settings that matter here.

Thanks for the tip.

As I am a GUI driven gamer, those terminal based mystery lines are beyond me

Having done the upgrade to Tumbleweed without Secure Boot, the System still has Dual Boot and I can launch W11.
But Tumbleweed launches a Gnome like black screen, frozen without reaction to mouse nor keyboard. Reboots clarified, that the launch works on with Secure Boot off, but always ends with a black screen.

Lesson learned: Gamers should keep their hands off from Tumbleweed.

I will try to rebuild a Leap 15.5 Flashdisk again, the original has not been recognised, and will try to “upgrade” back to Leap 15.5 if possible. Otherwise two month work on Linux been lost … .

In the meantime it is also in the wiki

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:UEFI#Reset_SBAT_string_for_booting_to_old_shim_in_old_Leap_image

Thanks ‘nrickert’ and ‘arvidjaar’. Appreciated. This forum is great.

Meanwhile i have my Leap 15.5 back running with Secure Boot and TPM2.0. I tried first a rollback to the snapshot taken before the failed upgrade to Tumbleweed, did run into a “Welcome to GRUB!”, burned a Leap 15.5 Installation USB, upgraded from there, finally noticed that i had to change in the Boot-priorities of my UEFI the OpenSuse - SATA to OpenSuse SecureBoot - reinstalled the Gnome Extensions for my default user (non-root) - and Steam and games run fine.

Indeed lesson learned: Tumbleweed is a no-go for GUI driven gamers! How was the packaging not even been tested if it can be booted after an upgrade at all? If even that does not work, then hands off from a rolling Distro.

I love Leap, getting Mesa upgrades there. And will wait with a new Graphic Card until second half of next year, when Leap 15.6 will have had provided a more up to date kernel - and Cards will hopefully have become more affordable.

Anyway, may thanks to the Suse team for the great and free OpenSuse Leap - i really love that one.

It was a user error by you. Tumblewed has the same QA procedures as Leap.
If you want to upgrade from Leap to Tumbleweed it is recommended to do afresh install to have a clean setup (unless you are more than a GUI driven gamer and are able to use a command line to navigate around minor issues…).

BTW what is a “GUI driven gamer”? Purely text based games without graphics dissapeared decades ago :thinking:

Tumbleweed and games are a good combination. No issues with Steam and wine and proprietary Nvidia drivers here…

Tried again, not giving up easily. This time I did the online installation for upgrading Leap to Tumbleweed as advised in the Suse Wiki.
That installation did finish nicely. Neofetch told me, that I am running Tumbleweed.

But: On reboot with Secure Boot active, it stopped again due to validation error and the PC turned off.
I turned Secure Boot off, launched again and got this time a MOK Management screen. Skipped that, got the boot menu, selected Tumbleweed, got again that Blank Gnome screen with frozen mouse and not reaction to keyboard. That screen turned itself off after a minute or two. Now I have a blank screen with an underscore blinking in the top left corner … same 10 min later … .

@BierPizzaChips why skip the Mok Management? What graphics driver are you running?

Bit off topic, but I’d recommend ventoy for ISO installations. You set it up once and you just copy any number of ISOs to the USB Stick as normal. Booting from that ventoy USB stick then presents you with a list of ISOs to choose from. Hasn’t failed for me yet and comes with a key file to import if you get secure boot warnings.

@xm3t4l There are issues with that as it leaves ventoy remnants in the grub options which need to be removed… See the note about it in the Wiki as ventoy is not recommended.https://en.opensuse.org/Create_installation_USB_stick

This is going to continue to happen if you turn secure-boot on.

There are several ways to avoid this.

• You can reset the SBAT level, as described in the Wiki or in that bug report.

• You can try booting with the Leap boot menu. But this may cause other problems if you have not first enrolled the needed MOK certificate. Also, you would need to update your grub menu in Leap whenever there is a kernel update in Tumbleweed.

• You can wait for Tumbleweed to update “shim” to a new sbat level. But this might mean a wait of several months (or longer).

It will be easier to just leave secure-boot disabled for now.

Thank you, malcomlewis and nrickert.

As mentioned above, my terminal knowledge is not sufficient to run advanced commands ( I learned years ago, that such is a brilliant way to ruin an installation since the web is full of terminal command suggestions with unknown side effects, requirements or preconditions).

I skipped MOK Management because I had never heard about it before it popped up. A quick google did indicate that it may come from UEFI and wants to ‘seal’ the kernel. Since the MOK menu asked me for a key but I had no key defined in UEFI, proceeding with Key=0 did not seem to be logical to me. That’s why I used the ‘Continue’ option, which assumable skipped the key story.

Secure Boot Off is NOT an option since such does allow reaching the EFI menu, but booting Tumbleweed leads to the broken / frozen Gnome screen as mentioned above, shortly followed by the top left blink of death.

I shall now go straight back once more to Leap via USB ‘upgrade’. And I am very positively impressed that such a return to Leap is possible at all after having experienced a messy upgrade scenario.

Not to bad. I love the idea of a slowroll and just hope, that at the time of all users running an upgrade of Leap 15.5 to Leap 15.6 such may be properly tested and functional.

Just by curiousity: Will Leap 15.6 turn itself automatically into a Slowroll or will such need another Upgrade?

Again, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions here. Seriously appreciated.

@BierPizzaChips You might want to post inxi -Fxxz hardware details for your system with respect to GNOME issues.

My hardware:

RAM: 32 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT (navi14, LLVM 16.0.6, DRM 3.49, 5.14.21-150500.55.36-default)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core

(Sorry, just quick via mobile since PC ain’t back yet. Pasted from my entries in ProtonDB.)

System:
Kernel: 5.14.21-150500.55.39-default arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.5.0 Desktop: GNOME v: 41.9 tk: GTK v: 3.24.34 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM
Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.5
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: B450M MORTAR TITANIUM (MS-7B89) v: 2.0
serial: UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: A.I1
date: 05/16/2023
CPU:
Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2
rev: 0 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 3 MiB L3: 32 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 2181 high: 2309 min/max: 2200/4208 boost: enabled cores:
1: 2016 2: 2196 3: 2201 4: 2183 5: 2080 6: 2309 7: 2195 8: 2199 9: 2199
10: 2199 11: 2200 12: 2200 bogomips: 86399
Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Navi 14 [Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M] vendor: Sapphire
driver: amdgpu v: kernel arch: RDNA-1 pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 ports:
active: DP-1,HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-2,HDMI-A-2 bus-ID: 28:00.0
chip-ID: 1002:7340
Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.5
compositor: gnome-shell driver: gpu: amdgpu display-ID: 0
Monitor-1: DP-1 model: AOC 27G2G4 res: 1920x1080 dpi: 82 diag: 686mm (27")
Monitor-2: HDMI-A-1 model: PRI TV res: 1920x1080 dpi: 60 diag: 939mm (37")
API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.5 renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT (navi14
LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.49 5.14.21-150500.55.39-default) direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: AMD Navi 10 HDMI Audio vendor: Sapphire driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus-ID: 3-3:5 chip-ID: b58e:0005 pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16
bus-ID: 28:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:ab38
Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16
bus-ID: 2a:00.4 chip-ID: 1022:1487
Device-3: Blue Microphones Yeti Nano type: USB
driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
Sound API: ALSA v: k5.14.21-150500.55.39-default running: yes
Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.64 running: yes
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s
lanes: 1 port: f000 bus-ID: 22:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 8.19 TiB used: 991.59 GiB (11.8%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM009-2G4100 size: 1.82 TiB
speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial:
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: BUP Slim size: 1.82 TiB
serial: N/A
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DL003-9VT166 size: 1.82 TiB
ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Western Digital model: WDS200T2B0B-00YS70
size: 1.82 TiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial:
ID-5: /dev/sde vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 50 GiB used: 36.12 GiB (72.2%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdc1
ID-2: /boot/efi size: 96 MiB used: 31.3 MiB (32.6%) fs: vfat
dev: /dev/sda3
ID-3: /home size: 1.75 TiB used: 839.17 GiB (46.8%) fs: xfs dev: /dev/sdc3
ID-4: /opt size: 50 GiB used: 36.12 GiB (72.2%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdc1
ID-5: /tmp size: 50 GiB used: 36.12 GiB (72.2%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdc1
ID-6: /var size: 50 GiB used: 36.12 GiB (72.2%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdc1
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 20 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2
dev: /dev/sdc2
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 29.1 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 37.0 C
mem: 0.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 0
Info:
Processes: 360 Uptime: 0h 22m Memory: 31.25 GiB used: 2.33 GiB (7.5%)
Init: systemd v: 249 target: graphical (5) default: graphical Compilers:
gcc: N/A Packages: 52 pm: rpm pkgs: N/A note: see --rpm pm: flatpak pkgs: 49
pm: snap pkgs: 3 Shell: Bash v: 4.4.23 running-in: gnome-terminal
inxi: 3.3.23

@BierPizzaChips Ahh so your back on Leap 15.5 now…

Yes. That’s the positive lesson from this mess: Rollback to old distro version works well. But needs indeed two steps: Rollback Snapshot and afterwards upgrade from USB to get Secure Boot sorted.

I am just a bit concerned how full meanwhile my root partition has become. What would the best way for cleaning that up?

Sorted. I found in File Manager on Trash in Setting the option for deleting all temporary files. That brought my root disc down from 75% to 35% filled. All cool. :sunglasses: Happy to keep going with Leap. :heart_eyes: