Suse 10.3 repos

Hey there,
I have a short question: I’m running Suse 10.3 and do not want to upgrade to 11 at the moment. However the Yast tool is unable to access the “http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/oss/” directory since these are not available anymore. Does anyone know if there is somewhere another mirror that I could configure in Yast? Or is the only possibility to install new software now to upgrade to Suse 11? Or can I just configure my 10.3 to use the 11 repos?

Would be nice if someone could help me.

Thanks,
David

The best thing is to upgrade to 11.0 or higher.
There are no alternative repositories for that version because it is not supported anymore. Your idea to use the update and patch repositorie from 11.0 für 10.3 is a bad idea. It wont work. Its like putting Diesel in a Benzin Car.

These still work though unlikely to receive updates. The latest oss and packman updates are a couple of weeks old.

ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/linux/opensuse/distribution/10.3/repo/oss/

ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/linux/opensuse/distribution/10.3/repo/non-oss/

packman.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.3/

ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/linux/opensuse/update/10.3/

More options available here, although you will need to explore the mirrors to find 10.3 repo versions:
openSUSE Download Mirrors - Overview

Perform a clean 11.2 install. I tried upgrading through the repos on a 10.3 server, it’s not giving half the performance of it’s sister, that got a clean install. It’s getting it’s clean install tonight.
Mind: backup /home, /etc, MySQL databases etc.

I faced the same problem after October 31, 2009
when the Main repos were closed down.
Global Moderator on this forum directed me to
Server: http://ftp5.gwdg.de
Directory: pub/opensuse/discontinued/distribution/10.3/repo/oss non-oss debug

After adding those repos there is no more problem foor me.
P.Rudra.

Does anyone have the email of the Novell manager to whom one ought to ***** about this?

Shutting down cold the repos for the immediately previous major release is unfriendly, verging on malicious.

SuSE’s bad about this, and it’s bitten me more than once. Guess what, folks? Lots of people still use older distros. In business. And don’t have auto update turned on on purpose; this has bitten me more than once.

And in other news, where, exactly, did you modify the repo list on 10.3?

Hi
They are still there, in fact back to 7.3?
http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Discontinued_Releases

No, there is plenty of notice prior to the removal of
unsupported OSes as well as the release roadmap.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.39-0.3-default
up 3 days 21:32, 4 users, load average: 0.12, 0.10, 0.06
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Hi
You have been bitten more than once as you stated in your previous
post, yet you don’t know how to modify the repository URL interesting?

I suggest a look in YaST… :slight_smile:

up 3 days 21:37, 4 users, load average: 0.16, 0.14, 0.08

As Malcolm said, there was plenty of notice. See these links.
[opensuse-announce] Advance notice of discontinuation of openSUSE 10.3](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2009-08/msg00008.html)
and
SUSE Linux Lifetime - openSUSE

It even made it here.
Advance notice of discontinuation of openSUSE 10.3
BSD/Linux Tutorial Zone: openSUSE 10.3 will be discontinued soon…
Advance notice of discontinuation of openSUSE 10.3 [LWN.net]

Shall I keep going?

And yet, they’ve gratuitously moved the directories so that an installed and working system can no longer find them. And there’s no documentation that I can find as to how to fix that, if indeed it can be fixed at all…

Note that discontinuing updates is a completely separate topic from moving the repo so your distribution can’t find it; that is still gratuitous and wrong, whether documented or not.

And in fact, I’ve looked in yast, and I see no interactive way to modify the lost of community repositories; they appear to be baked into the program.

The time I got bit by this on an EOL 9.3, I spent literally 2 days trying to find a way to get that system to update to the final set of packages…

and I’ve been running Linux since 0.99pl12f and Unix since SCO 2.2.1, I am by no means a newbie…

and I was geting paid to do it. And I still could not get Yast to cooperate.

I am not fond of gratuitous changes to support infrastructure.

They didn’t gratuitously do anything.

First they had to delete the 10.3 repos, because they need to recover the space used to hold 11.2, 11.1 and 11.0. A month Later they removed the Update repos.

This was announced, always known at the time of installing 10.3 if you read the info. I ran 10.3 myself until the week 11.2 was released, it is possible to delete & disable repo’s there in YaST, for “disconnected” operation. But there were couple significant vulnerabilities announced since, after 10.3 updates was removed, so not good idea to use machine any where connected to Internet. If 11.2 had not been as solid I would have upgraded to 11.1, and waited for 11.2 to stabilise.

As you were hit by this before, simply join the opensuse-announce Email list, and get reminders about security issues, and project end of life. The current 11.2 is planned to be good for about 18 months (2 releases more + 2 months).

If you want longer term support, subcribe to SLED/SLES release.

Hi
Community repositories? You mean like packman and the OBS? Unless you
have made a backup or a mirror has decided to keep them, they get
dropped…

up 4 days 4:09, 3 users, load average: 0.14, 0.12, 0.05

I mean the base repos for 10.3. In the 10.3 yast…
no I see that they are in fact editable.

They’ve just buried the Yast option in which that is possible at the the bottom of the menu, and I didn’t read that far.

… ]

Reportedly, they have not actually been removed from Novell servers, merely had their URL’s changed.

And, no, “we need the space” is not a valid reply in a world with $85 1TB HDDs. :slight_smile:

Is there an archive anywhere for /repositories/server:/monitoring/openSUSE_10.3 ?

Hi
I doubt it, but you should just be able to download the src rpms and
build from those as most still include rpm spec files that may/maynot
have been updated.

up 4 days 6:45, 3 users, load average: 0.19, 0.11, 0.10

Reading does help sometimes.

Reportedly, they have not actually been removed from Novell servers, merely had their URL’s changed.

And, no, “we need the space” is not a valid reply in a world with $85 1TB HDDs.

You were posted a link to a Uni mirror archive, who might well have the space and find value in keeping the release around for their own use, that is not something Novell/SuSE is likely to be consulted on.

The mirrored area for openSUSE is of a generally pre-estimated size. Remember mirrors sign up to cover certain amount of data and releases, so losing 10.3 was part of distributing 11.2.

Another reason for not keeping an unsupported release on Novell/SuSE servers might be to avoid some support liability.

As disk space is so cheap, I suggest you follow your own advice, and in future mirror the repo & updates of the releases you use rather than get surprised for a 3rd time, and rant again, when announcments and published policies are followed through on.

Hi
Just for you info on the mailing list today;

“[opensuse-project] Packman: deleting 10.3 packages”
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2009-12/msg00056.html

up 4:23, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.12, 0.07

Because I totally dislike all the flash and glitz of Kde4 on 11.4, I reinstalled 10.3. The old repositories are no where to be found.
Index of /pub/opensuse/discontinued/distribution/10.3/repo/oss non-oss debug
ends up in at a wiki page that states they have redone the wikis, and the page does not know where things went.

So, either they have totally eliminated the old repositories, or haven’t yet stabilized the location for them.

I would at least like to get that recent install (June 29, 2011) up to where they were in 2009 when new updates were terminate.