Spotify does not start after update through Flatpak

This never happened to me before, but Spotify Desktop no longer starts after I did flatpak update. Launching through command line gives this:

$ flatpak run com.spotify.Client 
/app/extra/bin/spotify: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /app/extra/bin/spotify)
[spotifywm] attached to spotify
/app/extra/share/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /app/extra/share/spotify/spotify)
/app/extra/share/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /app/extra/share/spotify/spotify)

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4 does not exist on my machine, but since flatpaks are containerised, this might not be the actual problem. Any idea what went wrong? I am on the latest snapshot in Tumbleweed.

Coincidentally, I installed it 10 minutes ago and it works normally for me. However I use flatpak-user, here is the wiki. Flatpak - openSUSE Wiki
But I don’t know if this is your problem… however I prefer to install them as a user, but it depends on your needs.

I don’t know much difference between user or systemwide types of Flatpak installation, but I always install flatpaks without sudo but it then asks me for sudo password.

I can not solve your issue, but after problem with Spotify earlier, I just start using their web player instead. I do not see any restrictions or lack of functionality, it just works and is always updated, so at least there is an alternative to the app.

If it asks you for the password to install flatpak packages, it means it is installed system-wide, however as mentioned before I have no idea if this is actually related to the problem.
However you could try you can have both… you have to add the repository with the --user flag, then to install apps you have to select the user repository from Discover or Software or if you do it from the terminal the --user flag is sufficient. It’s all explained in the wiki.

The problem was not the update, but stale cache files as already reported on their github. This describes a solution: Doesn't launch · Issue #277 · flathub/com.spotify.Client · GitHub after which Spotify is working again for me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.