OpenSuse Tumbleweed on Dell Inspiron 14 Plus or Acer Swift 14 Go

Hello everyone,

Currently I’m running openSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE) on a Lenovo Yoga 720.
Now I like to buy a new laptop and install “again” openSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE) on it.
The 2 laptops I have in mind are:

Dell Inspiron 14 Plus (7440) with Intel Core Ultra 7 155H
Acer Swift Go 14 (SFG14-72-792F) also with Intel Core Ultra 7 155H

Now I would like to now if there are forum members who have experience with such a setup?
Will everything run fine with Tumbleweed, or are there issues to expect.
Which of the 2 should I buy?
Your advice is more then welcome.

Thanks for your reactions and support

@janjans640 Hi and welcome to the Forum :smile:
You likely need to create your install image from openSUSE Imagewriter, have a read here for a recent experience with the Ultra CPU https://forums.opensuse.org/t/system-freeze-at-starting-udev/174214

Thank you for your fast response.
Do you have a recommendation which brand (Dell or Acer) to use?
I heard Dell is very Linux friendly.
Is that correct?

Thanks Again.

@janjans640 I’ve had a few Dell machines that have run linux fine, I currently have a Dell VPro Tablet running Aeon (MicroOS/GNOME DE) and it runs fine with only 4GB of RAM for light tasks.

I think there are other Forum users with Dell equipment, maybe they will respond. You might want to ask in that other thread if the user got there system up and running or not.

1 Like

Thank you.

Dell Latitude (though not new) - works great. Had TW on it for a couple years, but recently installed Leap 15.6 Beta - works fine also.

1 Like

Thanks for your response.

B.T.W what was the reason for switching from Tumbleweed to Leap?

ILL AMD Ryzen 7 7840U is much better:

I would go for a Dell, as in my experience their EFI settings work better with Opensuse.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.