System freeze at "Starting udev"

Good morning,
I hope you can help me. I will preface this by saying that on my PCs I have always used opensuse Thumbleweed because it is my absolute favorite distro.
I recently purchased a laptop “HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 Laptop 16-aa0002nl”. I was not able in any way to install the operating system.
This is my configuration:
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 155H
GRAPHICS: Intel® Arc™ Graphics (Meteor Lake).
I believe the problem lies in the failure to load the video driver.
Can you help me, please?
https://www.mediafire.com/view/e8cj8gxra7zfhu2/Screenshot.jpg/file

Release date of Ultra 7 155H was 4 months and 1 day ago. That breaks the general rule that to use Linux if you are not a kernel or driver developer your hardware should not be too new. Barely 4 months since launch announcement seems to fit that description. I have no idea whether Meteor Lake support has reached the kernel yet, or if it did, in what version.

Did you try booting the installation media by adding the nomodeset kernel cmdline parameter? If not, you should. You might get install to work that way. Afterwards if necessary you could try a newer kernel to get (more) competent graphics results.

Kernel Support for Meteor Lake was available in 6.7 kernel so should be good, Intel Arc should be fine (I have an Discrete Intel A380 running on Tumbleweed).

Might be other hardware on that device that’s impeding boot…

@vExpertSystems Your using Ventoy to install (I see vtoy reference in screenshot)?

1 Like

Good catch :100:
OP probably needs to update Ventoy on their drive.

@vExpertSystems Ventoy is not recommended on this forum and the wiki due to issues with its past versions, personally I’ve not had any issues with the recent Ventoy versions. You might want to update the Ventoy version on the drive or use another Image Writer tool: Create installation USB stick - openSUSE Wiki

Good morning and thank you for your reply.
I tried several solutions including modeset, but it didn’t work.
I created the iso with different utilities but the problem persists.
I ran a test with a different distro and got the following error message:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/etztamz41usncin/screenshot21.jpg/file
Good morning and thank you for your reply.
I tried several solutions including modeset, but it didn’t work.
I created the iso with different utilities but the problem persists.
I ran a test with a different distro and got the following error message:

Thanks anyway for the help.

@vExpertSystems What ever you booted in that image is an old kernel and no firmware, guc/huc support are there (no kernel taint) and your device 7D55 is in the current Tumbleweed kernel, could be a red herring so to speak.

I see;

Apr 16 07:13:21 oscar kernel: i915 0000:03:00.0: [drm] GT0: GuC firmware i915/dg2_guc_70.bin version 70.20.0
Apr 16 07:13:21 oscar kernel: i915 0000:03:00.0: [drm] GT0: HuC firmware i915/dg2_huc_gsc.bin version 7.10.3
Apr 16 07:13:21 oscar kernel: i915 0000:03:00.0: [drm] GT0: GUC: submission enabled
Apr 16 07:13:21 oscar kernel: i915 0000:03:00.0: [drm] GT0: GUC: SLPC enabled
Apr 16 07:13:21 oscar kernel: i915 0000:03:00.0: [drm] GT0: GUC: RC enabled
Apr 16 07:13:21 oscar kernel: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20230929 for 0000:03:00.0 on minor 1

So what utilities did you use to create the openSUSE Tumbleweed install media? Did you check the download sha256 sums?

You could try add to the GRUB boot options i915.enable_hangcheck=0 to see if that helps.

Hi,
I used ventoy, rufus and universal usb installer. The sha256 sums is ok.
I will try the described modification and let you know.
Thanks.

All those programs potentially modify the ISO image which will break openSUSE. Some may have a plain pure binary unmodified copy option. be sure to use that. What that option is called depends on the program. Consult the programs documentation.

@vExpertSystems what @gogalthorp says, I think Rufus has a dd mode, you need to use that.

Unfortunately, I have tried them all (or almost all).
There is no way to install it in my notebbok.
Anyway thank you for your interest.