New install LEAP 42.1 running very slowly

Hi there,

Just yesterday I installed LEAP 42.1 from a DVD and wrote over my old SUSE 13.1. I kept my old /home partition, as well as my Windows 10 partitions and am running dual boot (which works absolutely fine).

However, it seems like every so often the system “hangs” for a few seconds and then returns to normal, every so often. For example, I’d right click on the desktop to do something, and it’d be fine, if I try that again, it may take 5-10 seconds to show up the right click menu. Even typing this message I was typing away, and then it froze, and took 5-10secs for the text to appear on my screen (even the flashing cursor stayed solid).

Also - what’s the best way to check my system is up to date? I don’t appear to have had a large amount of updates, which I would have expected.

Any thoughts as to why it may be running oddly? I didn’t have any issues on the last system at all.

Many thanks in advance

Ross

After doing some reading online, I managed to disable desktop effects, that didn’t solve my issue. I then added the nvidia repository, went into software management extras and said to install all matching recommended patches etc and it came up with loads of updates.

I installed those, rebooted the system and now all my fonts are absolutely MASSIVE!

Any ideas?

Cheers

The saga continues! I wasn’t sure whether the correct drivers were installed, so I used the 1 click installer to install drivers for 6 series and after (having checked I’m running 620)…and now upon booting up it just says Plasma has closed unexpectedly, so I can’t even get to my desktop.

Stuck now!

What 1-click installer did you use from where?
If you added the repo already, there’s no need for a 1-click installer.

Just install the driver in YaST or zypper, as described here:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

to install drivers for 6 series and after (having checked I’m running 620)…

A 620 card is the 600 series, not 6…
Although the driver for the 6 series (G02) should still support a 620 card as well…
Recommended is a later one though, and you probably have several versions installed now.

and now upon booting up it just says Plasma has closed unexpectedly, so I can’t even get to my desktop.

Stuck now!

Choose IceWM on the login screen to get to a graphical system at least.

Then remove all nvidia packages, and install the driver as described on the page mentioned above. (as you already added the nvidia repo, you can omit this step)

If it still doesn’t work then, please post your repo list and all installed kernel and nvidia packages:

zypper lr -d
rpm -qa | egrep "kernel|nvidia"

Hi wolfi,

Unfortunately I have automatic log in turned on so I can’t get to the login screen. I’m just left with a black screen with a mouse cursor! Right clicking on the screen doesn’t do anything.

So how would I log out, to get to the login screen?

Thanks.

You can abort the currently running X session by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice.

And if it is only Plasma itself that doesn’t work, you should still be able to get krunner via Alt+Space or Alt+F2.

Hi wolfi,
If I try alt+space or alt+f2 nothing happens. If I try ctrl+alt+backspace twice I get a beep on thr 1st press, but on the screen goes completely black (mouse cursor disappears) and I can’t see or do anything. Hmmm.

Thanks again

Ross

I have some how managed to open a terminal window, and I’ve done a search for installed nvidia packages and have

Nvidia-computeG02
Nvidia-gfxG02-default

And I’ve just removed those, so I have no nvidia drivers installed now.

So where to go from here? Many thanks once again

Don’t ask how, but I managed to get a terminal window up, searched which nvidia drivers I had and removed them all. Did a zypper refresh and then an update, and it installed the nvidia drivers, and I’m now back into my desktop!!

But, now I’m back left with the massive fonts…so where to go from here?

Many thanks again…I sense we’re close! I’ve disabled desktop effects for now, and, with the massive fonts, it appears to run fast/smoothly. But it’s impossible to read some windows.

Odd how my suse 13.1 install seemed to use G03 drivers…?

Ross

Check your fonts in configure desktop and also the DPI. Also check the resolution you are using Also running nvidia-settings may help

It isn’t just the fonts though, I should have mentioned, things like the “cross” at the top right of a window to close it, is also very large.

I’ve tried running nvidia-settings and checked X server display configuration and the resolution was set to auto, if I change it to 1920x1080 it makes no difference.

on X screen 0 it has resolution at 305x305DPI…is that correct?

Ok, (some) progress at least…

But, now I’m back left with the massive fonts…so where to go from here?

Well, this could be caused by different things (e.g. nvidia driver still not working, monitor reporting the wrong size or resolution), how to best fix it would depend on the reason.

So please provide the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log now, you can upload it to http://susepaste.org/ or similar and post a link.

Odd how my suse 13.1 install seemed to use G03 drivers…?

G03 is fine for your card.

Yeah. That’s to be expected if the resolution or the DPI is wrong.

I’ve tried running nvidia-settings and checked X server display configuration and the resolution was set to auto, if I change it to 1920x1080 it makes no difference.

If you can run nvidia-settings, the driver seems to be work at least.

Still, please post the Xorg log, it would tell other things as well.

on X screen 0 it has resolution at 305x305DPI…is that correct?

Depends on your monitor and the resolution. (DPI is not the resolution)
It might cause your problems though.

Hi,

here’s the link

http://susepaste.org/56627606

Thanks again, feel like we’re getting there! The System runs very smoothly now, it’s just the fonts etc :slight_smile:

Note that to properly adjust resolution both nvidia-settings and configure desktop must be used. Desktop may over ride the nvidia settings.

Fonts use points for size which are fractions of an inch and why DPI are important in Font rendering

Here’s a screenshot of Dolphin opened up

http://postimg.org/image/cd9zc3bfv/

It’s not just the fonts though, as you can see. I’m using Chromium web browser and even the size of the tabs are absolutely enormous.

Thanks

Ok, the nvidia driver is used and works, you are using the latest G04 version now… :wink:

And it does indeed use a DPI of 304x304:

35.310] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080
    35.317] (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (304, 304); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
    35.317] (--) NVIDIA(0):     option

I note that you use a Samsung monitor, I remember similar problems in the past where those report a too small size (probably inches instead of centimeters) which results in huge fonts.

See here e.g.: Two monitor are not working correctly - Hardware - openSUSE Forums

What does “xdpyinfo | grep dimension” report?

A workaround might be to force a fonts DPI in Plasma5’s systemsettings5 (Fonts), this should also apply to other things whose size is derived from the font size (like the window buttons).

Or you can set a different DPI in the Xorg configuration.
Not sure if nvidia-settings allows that, but you can always do it manually.
For more details, see the nvidia driver documentation:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/361.28/README/dpi.html
Or try what I posted in the beforementioned link, this should work.

Running “xdpyinfo | grep dimension” just says "if ““xdpyinfo | grep dimension” is not a typo…”, running it without the quotation marks says command not found :\

What is the location for the xorg file that needs to be edited, and what DPI should I try to input?

Many thanks again

I edited the screen.conf file to include
Option “DPI” “96 x 96”

and now on booting up, I’m back to just having a konsole :frowning:

If I try to type something like “dolphin” or “kwrite” it says it can’t connect to display.

Ok, then you need to install xdpyinfo first, apparently it is not installed by default in Leap…

Well, then you probably did something wrong.

Just adding that “Option…” line is not sufficient.
Please post what you exactly changes where, i.e. the exact content of the modified/created files.

To get back to a working system, just remove your changes again (renaming the modified files to xxx.conf.bak should work as well, or move them away to a different folder).