New install LEAP 42.1 running very slowly

The trouble is I can’t open a file browser to get there…

“mc” is a text mode file manager, not sure if it’s installed by default though.

Or run something like this to rename the files:

cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
mv 50-screen.conf 50-screen.conf.bak 

(modify it accordingly to what files you actually changed)

I can’t remember the exact file name. It was something like screen.conf but for that it says no file or directory…

Cheers

Right I just went "mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dold and rebooted, and I’m back into my desktop with big fonts again… The saga continues!

So… Which file do I need to edit and how should it look?

Cheers again!

Easiest to do it from the GUI in Configure Desktop

I couldn’t seem to find a way to edit the dpi in the gui?

I don’t run leap but here it is in the Configure desktop - Apperence -fonts

You shouldn’t remove the whole folder.
There’s other stuff in there, unrelated to the display, like touchpad config and keyboard layout.
So revert that, and only remove 50-screen.conf (that’s likely the one you changed), or modify it again.

So… Which file do I need to edit and how should it look?

Citing from the other thread (and omitting the useless parts):
those two methods definitely worked:

• Specify the DPI value in 50-myscreen.conf (or 50-screen.conf, or whatever):

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Default Screen"
  Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

You may use different values for the DPI of course, but 96x96 should be a safe starting point.

or:

• Specify the display size in 50-mymonitor.conf (or 50-monitor.conf, or whatever):

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "Default Monitor"
  DisplaySize 530 300
EndSection

For this to be respected by the nvidia driver, you need a 50-myscreen.conf (or 50-screen.conf, or whatever) like this as well:

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Default Screen"
  Monitor "Default Monitor"
  Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
EndSection

It doesn’t matter which of the two ways you use, you can choose to specify DPI or DisplaySize, the other one is calculated accordingly by the driver.

As mentioned in the nvida README I linked to:
DPI = SizeInPixels (resolution in pixels) / SizeInInches (DisplaySize converted to inches)
So xdpyinfo should report a correct DPI and DisplaySize in either way.

Or just set “Force Fonts DPI” in KDE’s settings if that’s sufficient for you.

You can edit the existing files (50-screen.conf, 50-monitor.fonts), but I would recommend to create your own (e.g. 50-mymonitor.conf, 50-myscreen.conf), that makes it easier to revert your changes.

Configure Desktop->Font, there’s an option “Force Fonts DPI” in there (at the bottom).

Aha… I forced fonts dpi to 96 and everything was the opposite… A tad on the small side, so increased it a little and now everything seems absolutely fine except for my taskbar/panel at the bottom, the font is absolutely tiny unless I make the height of the panel very big! It’s no big issue but would be great if it could get sorted.

I’ve set fonts dpi to 120 and all seems OK. It’s on a 32inch TV and I’m sat a reasonable distance from it. At least all the windows are readable and the system is stable!

You’ve all be so helpful! Can’t thank you enough.