New forum - big change for the worse

In the list of topics - for example in Install/Boot/Login - openSUSE Forums

There is no poster name in text form so searching of the (text of the) poster name in web browser does not work. Poster of the last post is not present here. There are icons of the original poster and frequent posters only.

So big change for the worse for me.

2 Likes

You should be able to hover over the profile picture, it will show you the name. The first one is always the poster

1 Like

Yes I’m able to do that. But hovering over e.g. 20 profile pictures is unusable comparing to previous way - text search in web browser.

What I really miss is the version (TW/Leap/ARM/…) for which the OP has a question/complaint…

1 Like

We should probably add some tags for that, that would probably help a lot

1 Like

Yes that would be usefull.

Added leap-154, tumbleweed, microos and leapmicro-53 tags, for all the current releases, and I added them to some of the recent posts

But they are optional, right? So nobody will use them. Just like nobody in the old forum payed any attention to subforums topics, so everything was dumped into the very first.

Is it possible to have mandatory tags in some categories?

Answering to myself - apparently, it is.

I just set it up, we now have a tag group releases, which is mandatory for some of the subcategories in english category

1 Like

It’s there under “all tags” It’s in the top of the page. I use the english forum when I login and the selection is there.

I agree with the title.

Since the tags have to be restored on the posts, how about changing Tumbleweed to TW-(year)
e.g. TW-2022 and in less than 3 weeks TW-2023

That why you could quickly tell if a Tumbleweed topic had been resurrected without having to read the fine print.

2 Likes

Change for the better for almost everybody.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Not for me. Maybe I am too old, but I find it hard to adapt to this layout. I am sure I will get used to it, but currently I don’t like it.

2 Likes

How do you know? Did you talk to everybody?

At the moment I can see nothing “better” .

2 Likes

I am sure too you will adjust your assessment.

I watch everybody [since 1978].

2 Likes

And the verifiable statistics to back up your unsubstantiated opinion are where?

I’m probably older « 70+ » than you but, I’m slowly getting used to the change –

• The preview while typing an answer is a nice change.
  • The markup while typing text is also a little bit of learning –
    The markup related to bullets is a little bit strange – possibly a developer decision … :innocent:
  • “New” / “Latest” is also an “item to be learnt” …
    But, I found the Keyboard Shortcuts to be quite a help to find the “not so obvious” things …

I’m still adapting. But I’m sure it will be fine once I get used to it.

2 Likes