Latest TW update breaks my Wifi

When I update on Tumbleweed to the version that brings it to kernel kernel-default-6.9.5-1.1 it breaks my wifi. I have tried twice now and have had to rollback with snapper both times.

The following product is going to be upgraded:
  openSUSE Tumbleweed  20240617-0 -> 20240620-0

When I run lspci -va:

Network controller: Intel Corporation Raptor Lake PCH CNVi WiFi
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifi

What would be the best way to handle the problem? Wait a week or two before updating and hope a future update fixes it or should I update and break it and try fix it?

1 Like

A simple search…

You can manually install the old version of the driver and wait for the upstream to fix the bug.

The current official package version is 20240618, which is still in an unpatched state.

The 20240519 version can be downloaded from the following link:

First uninstall the driver:

sudo zypper rm kernel-firmware-iwlwifi

kernel-firmware-all will also be uninstalled, but it is not a big problem.

Then install the old driver:

sudo rpm -i kernel-firmware-iwlwifi-20240519-1.1.noarch.rpm

Restart the system after installation is complete:

sudo reboot

Lock the package first (unlock it when the upstream fixes the bug):

sudo zypper al kernel-firmware-iwlwifi

Then install the missing packages:

sudo zypper in kernel-firmware-all

Solution to the conflict: Choose 3, which is to keep kernel-firmware-iwlwifi-20240519 and break dependency


sudo reboot

hope this helps :slight_smile:


This forum post was exactly what I needed to get up and running. One modification is that the RPM is no longer available at the URL referenced above. I was able to locate it here instead:

1 Like

you can also download rpm here:

1 Like

easy fix. life saver. Was ready to throw things around, as 3 different WiFi Cards wouldn’t work.

I concur that this fix worked a treat.

As someone who is new to Tumbleweed, in a situation like this, how would we know when it is safe to unlock the package and upgrade? I can’t imagine leaving this package in a locked state perpetually would be the best route. I’ve seen some back-and-forth in other threads regarding a fix going into the next kernel release…is it just a matter of paying attention to when the kernel is updated and then unlock the package?

Just curious what the general workflow is on something like this.


1 Like

The pull request is this so yes, when you see kernel 6.9.6 in a snapshot it should be safe to unlock the kernel-firmware package.


This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.