KDE4 Installing window decorations

Can I install KDE3.x decorations on KDE4? If I download a decoration, where do I put it? Sorry for the newb questions, I’m used to Gnome but KDE4 made me curious, now I’m liking it more and more:)

AFAIK they’re absolutely incompatible – but then again I’m wrong more often than right.:stuck_out_tongue:

Sad to hear, well I guess I’ll look for a KDE4 compatible decoration

Hey, how do I install KDE4 window decorations, anyway?

I’m not sure what Window Manager I’m using, but it’s not Emerald - I heard somewhere that it’s better to use KDE’s native WM for decorations, is this true?

I used to use Emerald in Ubuntu 9.10, since Metacity (IMO) sucked, but I don’t see anywhere in Configure Desktop->Appearance to add/install new themes, and a lot of them on Kde-look.org have instructions for Kubuntu (Debian), none that are compatible with openSUSE AFAICT.

Thanks!

I think what you want is in the Advanced tab Desktop Theme Details.

Hi,

Some people use different engines to help them out with window decorations, as (in my opinion) the native kde4 decorations leave a lot to be desired. Two of the major engines are deKorator and aurorae. You can get both of them from the community repository. You can then download themes from here:

Eyecandy for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Look.org

for dekorator

Eyecandy for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Look.org

for aurorae

Then all you do is go to Configure Desktop (Personal Settings)>Appearance>Windows and change the window decoration to deKorator or Aurorae and they’ll both have a tab where you install the downloaded file.

Take Care,

Ian

Thanks, I’ll try those two.

Also, as a note to any KDE newbies: Beware of Copmiz/Emerald! I enabled Compiz under Default Applications->Window Manager, but it completely slowed down my computer, to the point of it being slower than Vista (!).

DO NOT USE GNOME APPLICATIONS IF THERE ARE ONES THAT DO THE SAME THING IN KDE!
KDE apps were made for KDE, and Gnome were made for Gnome. Certain programs work with the opposite Desktop Environment, but it’s best to use ones native to the DE.

/PSA

You can

1. install the rpm.

wei@firefly:~> rpm -qa | grep winde
kde4-windeco-crystal-2.0.5-1.11.i586
kde4-windeco-nitrogen-3.3.0-1.2.i586
kde4-windeco-aurorae-0.2.1-1.4.i586
kde4-windeco-dekorator-0.4.0.4-1.4.i586

These are the four that I have.

1. install from source.

There should be a INSTALL/README file in the source that has easy to follow instructions on how to compile and install the binary.

Okay, Aurorae and deKorator work fine, using a Plasma and (I think Aurorae) window theme based on the Ghost in the Shell Anime. I just can’t find a decent icon theme to go with it…

I’m glad to hear you got what you wanted :slight_smile:

Regarding compiz, did you try using my step by step guide located here?:

Installing and Configuring Compiz - openSUSE Forums

I currently have it working on a KDE 4.3.4 box that I set up for my parents to use. If you have any questions regarding compiz, just ask here in the forums :wink:

EDIT: I just checked again, and you have to install emerald manually since the one-click installer doesn’t do it for you. Not sure why it doesn’t, but I’ve had my how-to guide edited to reflect that change.

Take Care,

Ian

Yeah, I did install emerald-compiz (or was it compiz-emerald…?) but it was as slow as Windows Vista on a 1998 Windows computer with 256MB of RAM (which is the equivalent of my '07 laptop with 1GB of RAM, amazingly).

Anyways, I’m happy with these theme engines for KWin.

So, yeah, thanks anyway.

KDE apps were made for KDE, and Gnome were made for Gnome. Certain programs work with the opposite Desktop Environment, but it’s best to use ones native to the DE.

Hmm. That was never the intent of those Window Managers: to be exclusive to their own APIs. It would be a sad day indeed if GTK apps refuse to run under KDE. Say goodbye to Chromium, VMware, GIMP, Wireshark and Evolution.

Well, heh, VMWare doesn’t work on my computer, no matter what OS/distro/Desktop Environment (API, you say?).

The GIMP, the only image editor I’ll ever use, unless Adobe suddenly makes all their programs open source.

Wireshark? Wha?

Evolution… meh.

Anyways, I thought I was giving a pretty decent PSA there, guess not, huh? :\

Well, heh, VMWare doesn’t work on my computer, no matter what OS/distro/Desktop Environment (API, you say?).

I’ve been running VMPlayer on 11.1 Gnome and 11.2 KDE without a hitch.

Uhm! I run xfwm4 in kde4 and vice versa.

I thought VMWare was like virtualization stuff?

I guess not, but any virtualization software - ie, VirtualBox - won’t work on my computer. Much too slow, and I’d rather be dual-booting (like I am now).

Okay, forget about my unintelligible “speech”, many programs work outside their respective desktop environment.
I guess in the part where I said “some programs work outside their [Desktop Environment]” [Desktop Environment] could be replaced with [OS], because while Wine and other emulation software based on Wine are getting better, most Windows programs work best in Windows, and I don’t even know if you can, in some way, run Mac software on Linux. I just can’t see what programs would be Mac-exclusive that you’d have to run it in emulation software on Linux, rather than doing the same to and having a better chance with the Windows version of the program.

Also, we’re getting a little off-topic here, the thread was created for help with installing KDE4 window decorations, and I certainly don’t need any more help with that (ATM). Anybody who does, we’ll help with that.

The new crystal theme is available thru yast. I am using it and it is nice and configurable in colors that you like.

I just noticed… your avvie… PENGU!!!

I installed the Crystal Kwin Window Decoration theme from YaST2.

How do I apply the theme?

I searched in System Settings > General > Look & Feel > Appearance. But I’m not able to find it anywhere.

Try appearance-> window.