KDE4 Installing window decorations

I’ve installed Compiz and Emeral on my 4.3.4 PC, and it works fine here without any slowdowns.

You need to have the proprietary drivers installed for it to work properly, the opensource drivers are too slow to handle it.

No, there’s no mention of “crystal” anywhere! YaST shows that it’s installed! It’s okay, I’m happy with the Oxygen, Ozone and others! :slight_smile: Thank you!

You’ll find it as Krystal Window Decorator. After logging out and back in, maybe?

Try the Aurorae Window Decorator. It’s completely configurable.

After installing crystal, I actually restarted my computer. I still cannot find it!

I installed Aurorae. It’s showing up in Appearance >> Windows.
But when I select Aurorae Decoration Theme Engine, the System Settings window suddenly closes. :frowning: Probably because Aurorae is still in version 0.2.

I also installed Nitrogen and it’s working properly!

But they’re all almost the same: Ozone, Oxygen, Nitrogen… :frowning:
I’m looking for something futuristic! :wink: Is there any theme like that?

“I’m looking for something futuristic!”

I’m currently using the Plasma and Aurorae decorations based on Ghost In The Shell anime. They have a nice, customizable glow around the edges of the Plasma widgets and window borders, and the Panels have a unique shape to them. However, there are no icons or colour schemes to go with them (AFAIK) so you’ll have to find 'em on your own. I am using the neon colour scheme by FRUiT and the DarkGlass iconset by mentalrey. All can be found on kde-look.org, and the best wallpaper (IMO) for the Plasma theme is the Green Lizard Eyes on suse-art.org.

Thanks for mentioning the Neon theme!

I searched KDE-look.org and found this Neon Plasma theme by FRUiT

I saw the screen shots, it’s really awesome! :slight_smile:

But I’m not able to install it. I’ve downloaded the 111030-neon-plasma-glow-by-FRUiT.tar.gz file from the above mentioned link. I extracted it. There’re no installation instructions, readme files etc. Googled for instructions, found nothing. :disapointed:

Can you please tell me how to install it? :\

To install the Neon Plasma theme, right-click your desktop and choose Desktop Settings, or click on the Plasma icon in the top right-hand corner. Go to where it says Desktop Theme and select “New Theme…”. Type in “neon” in the search box, and click on “install” next to the theme. The Plasma theme should now be installed and selectable in the drop-down menu under Desktop Theme.

SPARTAN-118

kde addon installer is among the top-5 best features of kde4 in my list. :slight_smile:

Okay thanks! I installed the Plasma Neon theme and mouse cursor theme. It’s great! The Neon Icon theme is apparently not available. The download link is broken.

Yes, I notified FRUiT about that, apparently they’re using a French download site that has had problems in the past, I suggested Box.net | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces ~ Free Version since they don’t remove your files without permission, and they’re pretty reliable and you don’t need an account to download from them.

By the way, turbowei, what are the other 4? I’ve only ever used KDE4 since I shifted from GNOME, so I don’t know the diff. between earlier versions.

Don"t know why crystal does not show. I have it working properly. I am using kde 4.3.4.

Yeah, I hope the Neon Icon theme becomes available soon.

Okay, I found out why Aurorae Decoration Theme Engine is not working. Actually, I did a “Search for packages on the web…” in YaST and there I searched for “aurorae”.

I by mistake installed the kwin-aurorae package from http:// download.opensuse.org/ repositories/home:/ llunak:/kde/KDE_KDE4_UNSTABLE_Desktop_openSUSE_11.2!

I didn’t notice the word “UNSTABLE” and simply proceeded and installed it! :embarrassed:

I’ll remove the unstable version and try installing a stable one and see. :slight_smile:

Dunno about Crystal. :frowning:

I’m going to keep checking up on the Neon icon theme, will let you know when or if it becomes back online and if the author decides to change the hosting site.

Also, I’ll let them know that the main neon suite site is down - or perhaps they already know, and just don’t care about it. o.O

Meh. Will update when more info becomes available.

SPARTAN-118

Okay thanks!

Just re-installed Aurorae, it’s working fine now!