I am actually really interested in the new upcoming Ubuntu

Actually the real surprise this release isnt really Ubuntu’s main edition but instead its Kubuntu that is shining, usually Kubuntu is ubuntus dim witted kde borother but in this release Kubuntu is actually faring well with some nice new tools and features that may even rival openSUSE.

I have kubuntu installed. What nice tools and features should I be looking at?

Mainly Muon discover and its new user creator application.
Muon discover is sort of the Kubuntu equivalent to ubuntu’s software center but applied far better and certainly is better then apper which has always been a downer in openSUSE
And the new user creation tool, yeah even with Yast this is something that can be a little tough in openSUSE if you dont know what you are doing.

I have already tried Muon discover. I was underwhelmed.

Kubuntu came with only an SSH client, not a server. I wanted the server.

I openen Muon discover, and entered “ssh” (without the quotes) in the search box. It listed a bunch of packages, none of which seemed likely to provide the SSH server. That would have worked in Yast, but not in Muon discover (and not in the software center on my other computer where I installed the standard ubuntu).

Instead, I used “sudo bash” to get a root shell. Then I typed the command “sshd --help”. And the bash error message told me what apt-get command to use to install install it.

When done, I looked at installed software in Muon discover, and the package for ssh server was clear. Why didn’t it show me that as a result of the search?

I can’t comment on Apper, as I don’t use that to find software – I use Yast. However, around 2 years ago when experimenting with Fedora, I did use Apper. And it seemed a lot easier to find things. As I recall, I was looking for LVM and ecryptfs at the time, and the Apper search box found them.

The muon updater seems okay. But Muon Discover looks more like a marketing tool to sell particular software packages.

On another topic, I already a bug in kubuntu. I have not decided whether to bother reporting, since it won’t be my system of choice anyway.

Is that the one that I get to via: System Settings –> User Manager

I’ve already used that to create a new user. And it worked quite well.

Yeah Muon discover much like ubuntu software center it does have drawbacks however it does offer a better interface methinks.
Not nearly as slow too.
As for my comparison against apper yeah apper is terrible if you havnt used it… yeah better off with Muon discover.

Yeah my issue with kuser and even Yast is sometimes the new account creation needs so many things you need to do if you want to make new users and its always been kind of cumbersome.
Actually speaking of cumbersome thats always been an issue with Ubuntu too until 14.04 as its new user creation tool (GASP!) actually works again!
Ever since 11.04 this has always been a headache in ubuntu as the old user creator from gnome 2 worked well and when they began using the one from gnome 3 much like every other gnome 3 app it became limited and useless (just like crappy nautilus, or as I call it NUTulus!) but seems like Ubuntus move to fork every gnome app is complete and thank goodness for that.

Well, okay …

So after trying all of this with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, …

I see nothing special about any of it. In fact, I see some things that, to me (maybe not to someone else), are deficiencies.

I am sticking with openSUSE.

Oh dont get me wrong I still like openSUSE here, just giving the devil its due (also my printer works in Ubuntu not in openSUSE right now which is a shame)

Me too. But that doesn’t stop me testing other distros.

On Sat 26 Apr 2014 08:26:01 PM CDT, Fraser Bell wrote:

Well, okay …

So after trying all of this with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, …

I see nothing special about any of it. In fact, I see some things that,
to me (maybe not to someone else), are deficiencies.

I am sticking with openSUSE.

Hi
In openSUSE I use an app called cli, perfect for any desktop (even
works without a desktop running too!). I use the osc and zypper
features, which give me direct access to 33,642 projects, with 245,443
packages, in 50,189 repositories. Plus no annoying advertisments, it
just works!

Plus my printer(s) work in openSUSE, the closest I got to using kubuntu
or variants was the shippit feature to get free coffee coasters :wink: I
still have some from 2005…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Same here, but my current tests are now over with those conclusions.

rotfl!rotfl!rotfl!

… can’t … type … now …

So am I. For my personal use I am not distro hopping anytime soon. But for friends, family and customers it’s good to be aware of what can be best for them, since openSUSE is not “Linux for dummies”, truth be told.

For example in my PC openSUSE could connect to my workplace WiFi, something that was sketchy at best in most Debian-based distros (most of them didn’t even run wpa_supplicant correctly). The opposite has happened to friends and acquaintances, who could run Ubuntu out-of-the-box but not openSUSE.

Yes, I am a proud Geeko, and that means being able to focus on more than just one thing at a time :wink:

On 2014-04-27, Karmovorotin <Karmovorotin@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> I am sticking with openSUSE.So am I. For my personal use I am not distro hopping anytime soon. But
> for friends, family and customers it’s good to be aware of what can be
> best for them, since openSUSE is not “Linux for dummies”, truth be
> told.

I agree. My attempts of introducing newcomers to GNU/Linux through openSUSE have always failed. My attempts of
introducing newcomers to GNU/Linux through Linux Mint have always succeeded. Out of laziness I don’t distro-hop, but I
like to keep an eye on other distributions since this helps me help others. If I was to use another distribution
regularly, then it would probably be Gentoo.

Jepp! On opensuse.org page 1 :

“Whether you’re an experienced Linux developer or an end user just getting started with Linux,”… Or?

Regards :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm.

My conversion of newcomers (now a few hundred), using openSUSE, have all been a success. Batting a thousand there. In fact, most are quite thrilled, because most are from XP, and the same machine running openSUSE is far snappier and much more stable than the same machine running XP.

Perhaps it is in the way you do the introduction.

Help with the install (that is usually the most difficult part), set it up so it is operating as similar to their XP or Vista as possible (they will change parts of that later once they are familiar with Linux) so it feels familiar, answer any questions, and point them to the openSUSE forums and docs.

On 2014-04-28, Fraser Bell <Fraser_Bell@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> Hmm.
>
> My conversion of newcomers (now a few hundred), using openSUSE, have
> all been a success. Batting a thousand there. In fact, most are quite
> thrilled, because most are from XP, and the same machine running
> openSUSE is far snappier and much more stable than the same machine
> running XP.
>
> Perhaps it is in the way you do the introduction.
>
> Help with the install (that is usually the most difficult part), set it
> up so it is operating as similar to their XP or Vista as possible (they
> will change parts of that later once they are familiar with Linux) so it
> feels familiar, answer any questions, and point them to the openSUSE
> forums and docs.

I’m impressed! The usual problems they tend to run into are:

1. Graphics issues (especially AMD/NVidia).
  2. Audio issues (especially PulseAudio and Skype).
  3. Codec issues (playing mpeg/mp3 etc…).

When newcomers see how much jiggery-pokery I have to go through before I’ve resolved everything, it’s a real put-off.
There are (usually) no such issues when installing Linux Mint, and that’s why I point newcomers in that direction.

Hmm… I have almost the same opinions. Still it says on the opensuse frontage “or an end user just getting started with Linux,”.

Regards

It’s kind of funny, I had the opposite happen with my mother. I gave her a computer with openSuse and she had no problem with it. Then my brother and I chipped in to get her a new one, because the old one was overheating. He insisted on getting one with Windows (it had Windows 7), but at first my mother didn’t like it. She told me she wished she had Linux instead!

+1 Lol

Regards