I am actually really interested in the new upcoming Ubuntu

Yes, I am interested too, since my significant other uses 12.04 and wants to keep faithful to Canonical for now. Also, agreed that 14.04-16.04 will be the “make or break” releases, and that if they are successful they will land Linux on the public consciousness, maybe changing the typical attitude of the average user. If they can release a better product on PC, tablet and mobile phone than closed-source models, that will benefit us all.

Well, I hope it does well also - I also wish SUSE/openSUSE would have greater goals than simply trying to compete directly as the Euro version of RHEL/Fedora. By the way, most NYSE companies use RHEL for obvious reasons.

IIRC London and Frankfurt Stock Exchanges use SLES/SLEW and there were others in Europe that were considering it.

But yeah, I think such a well polished set of distros as the SUSE family deserve a bigger spot on the limelight. I am happy to see that many computer magazines have put openSUSE in the top 3 to watch for in 2014.

Well currently running Ubuntu 14.04 and this is perhaps their best release in years.
Not only is Unity stable but the whole OS itself.
Sure I still have a few issues like firefox freezing or chrome videos playing with a static noise in them but those are more the faults of both mozilla and google but I am sure a bug fix will come soon.
But in terms of performance and general speed 14.04 is a real demon and is even a little over responsive.
All in all Ubuntu 14.04 is a very solid well rounded OS worthy of an LTS release.

I installed it yesterday (but not on my main desktop). It reminded my of why I have never liked ubuntu. But I’ll play with it for a few days.

Hmm… What? Have you ever been out of/visit somethings else than the “land of free and home of the brave”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards

+1
Installed today in a WM. No its not for me in the long run. Interesting to test anyway.

Regards

I use Ubuntu as my main system these days, with openSUSE running mainly in a test VMware environment.

Well I am willing to reinstall openSUSE on the side, to be Ubuntus wingman of sorts.
I only took openSUSE off so I could run Ubuntu 13.10 to see how well a dist upgrade would go, since the test seemed to go well I wont need the space dedication for debian which was my original “wingman” distro.
So yeah I will be dropping debian right now in favor of openSUSE 13.1 because I did have some hardware issues with debian I was just using debian so I could have a solid fallback just in case Ubuntu 14.04 didnt work out.
However with both Ubuntu and openSUSE being rock solid on my machine its clear where this is going to go.
My triple boot is a real lifesaver either way though

Ubuntu 14.04 seems pretty good - I will not say that it is “better” than openSUSE 13.1; They are both two very good solutions to
an existing question - “How to design a freely distributed OS which is as good as commercially available OS’s?” Ultimates, the user must pick one and use it for real work. Both suffice for this outcome.

Well openSUSE may wind up my new testbed distro (that was going to be Ubuntus job) and Ubuntu 14.04 my new workhorse.
But both will serve a purpose as both have things I like so its win+win.

I don’t like Ubuntu. In my opinion, it’s not very reliable, due to privacy concerns …

This is the soapbox forum. So maybe you can say a little more about the privacy concerns.

I don’t like ubuntu either, though for different reasons. I have never used it for long enough to be concerned about privacy.

I’d say he thinks about the whole Amazon and dash online searches. Those can be disabled + i think it has been made opt-in from 14.04 onwards, or am i mistaking?

Don’t know, now when i set up geeko kde the way i like, i don’t want to move. + distrohopping was exhausting me. :slight_smile:

Yes, probably. I’ve seen those when using Unity. But I also installed kubuntu (on a different computer), and I have not seen signs of Amazon there.

I dislike it for a different reason, which is the fact that I don’t like the Unity user experience. I have always found KDE a more mature desktop environment, more akin to what I think is how a desktop should be like.

Yes.
I’ve been using it for some years in the past, but I think that there are better choices …

Yes as of 14.04 Amazon searches are now opt in.

Also I have to say as of 14.04 Unity is now very viable though I am sure it will go south again when Mir comes out.

On 2014-04-19, MadmanRB <MadmanRB@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> All in all Ubuntu 14.04 is a very solid well rounded OS worthy of an LTS
> release.

It will be interesting to see how Mir figures in Canonical’s subsequent releases.

I always have a mixed feeling on Ubuntu and Canonical. I may not like some of their actions but usually I can see a reason behind it or can see how it benefits on the whole, after some time has passed.

Ubuntu, as of late, has not been playing so well with my aging hardware. I have 12.04 installed on the family desktop but Ubuntu’s PAE kernels only means it is forevermore (outside of 12.04 with alternate kernel) unavailable for my laptop. I know there is a “fakePAE” but I would rather avoid it and put openSUSE (which is on them now) or Fedora on each.

Overall, performance on every system I have tried, has been not good. Yes, it is a Live session but very choppy, while it could be from the older Nvidia graphics card. Even Kubuntu is less-than-optimal while Fedora and openSUSE run like champs.

I wonder if Canonical is able to keep up with the desktop while it has so many pokers in the fire (phone, mobile, cloud servers, their own bits-and-pieces, etc.)? Since they seem to be leading in touch/mobile, it would probably be good for them to keep pushing it that way.

That being said, I will probably upgrade the family desktop to 14.04 LTS by the end of summer.