How update only selected packages

Is there a way to update only selected packages?
Partial update in Tumbleweed doesn’t works. In Discover window if I select only few packages to update all packages are updated anyway.

In Tumbleweeb huge updates are usual and sometime a conflict can happen. I can’t find a way to partial update excluding packages in conflict.

No in the long run.

Huh? There is no way to “select only a few packages” - Dicsover presents all available updates as a single item:

You need to explain in more details what you are trying to do.

Yes. That is how Tumbleweed works. Maybe you need to consider Leap or Slowroll.

You can always use zypper and manually update only some packages. This may appear to work for some time but has huge potential for regressions that nobody will be willing to troubleshoot for you (the first response will be “bring your installation up to date”).

It’s so easy to select only part of the packages that I think doesn’t need examples.
Anyway here’s two way you can use in Discover:

1. deselect manually packages you want exclude from update
  2. deselect all packages an select manually packages you want update
    and the “update all” icon become “update only selected”.

You need to work with package locks if you don’t want to update them. See man zypper. But earlier or later if you add more and more locks your system will implode…

This is not the way I would use because complicate and in long run dangerous.
At present I can’t update at all because of few packages conflict and I could keep my system up to date if I could exclude these three packages.
Anyway this situation could happen in the future with other packages then this feature is of general interest in my opinion.

If you show the output of zypper dup we might be able to give you hints how to procede…i have a urgent feeling that your conflicts are related to tlp/tuned. The user needs to make a decission…

Absolutely correct

~> sudo zypper dup
[sudo] password for root: 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Computing distribution upgrade...

Problem: 1: the to be installed tlp-1.6.1-2.1.noarch conflicts with 'tuned' provided by the installed tuned-2.22.1.2+git.86ac977-3.1.noarch
 Solution 1: deinstallation of tlp-1.6.1-1.3.noarch
 Solution 2: deinstallation of tuned-2.22.1.2+git.86ac977-3.1.noarch
 Solution 3: keep obsolete tlp-1.6.1-1.3.noarch

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/c/d/?] (c): 

But I don’t know which decision is the best.

As you complicated the stuff and opended another thread…i will repeat my answer:

There are already several threads and bugreports regarding this topic. You need to make a decission (you are the admin of your system) and remove one of the packages. tlp and tuned are conflicting each other. You can only have one installed at the time. This change and conflict was introduced recentely on purpose. Most user remove tuned as it is a really hardware limited tool (only sata drives and hardwired ethernet).

I just see other replies. We can continue there

It has nothing to do with dependencies. PackageKit zypper plugin enforces zypper dup on Tumbleweed, so individual package selection has no effect.

Waiting for the possibility of partial update (if it will be ever possible) using
sudo zypper dup
could give information to solve the problem.

zypper in installs a package if not already installed, and updates an already installed package for which an update is available. Thus, zypper can do partial updates. It’s sort of like an opposite to zypper al/zypper rl. All these procedures as a practical matter are only useful for limited amounts of packages.

Very interesting.

This is the main limit. You can use it to update one or two packages but you can’t deselect few packages included in a long list like that I see today (more than 300 packages to update). And this can be useful when one or few packages are source of conflict in Discover preventing all updates.

Hello,

1. Open a terminal.
  2. Run zypper up <package1> <package2> to update specific packages.

For conflicts, use zypper dup to see details and resolve them. If the conflicts are related to tlp or tuned, you’ll need to decide which to keep. Sharing the output of zypper dup can help us provide more specific guidance.
I hope this will help you,
Thank you

One more interesting suggestion. Thanks.
Yes conflict come from tlp but is solved how you suggested.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.