How do I burn an audio CD?

Hi everyone
I know this has come up many times before but I am rubbish with computers and haven’t really understood any of the answers. I need somone to walk me through this step by step, so I hope you can help.
I want to burn an audio CD in K3b, using mp3 and files ripped from a CD. There might be a permission issue as the files were ripped in windows media player (running windows XP as well in another drive partition) but I think I can sort that. I’m getting this error message
Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update tool (i.e. SuSE’s YOU).

Problem is K3b won’t play with mp3 files and is asking for plugins - I don’t know which plugins to get, where to find them and how to install them. I’ve looked in the software management repositories for MAD decoder libraries, there aren’t any that I can see. Mind you I’m not really sure what I’m looking for! Please help! Please!

Helpful info - running Suse 11.1 (i586) on Linux KDE 4.1.3 release 4.10.4

Hi,

You’ll need to install K3b-codecs to be able to burn mp3’s in K3b. Open Yast then click on Software Management. In the search field search for k3b-codecs. Put a check mark next to k3b-codecs and then click accept. Once it’s done installing you’ll be able to use mp3’s with K3b.

Take Care,

Ian

Cheers Ian - this is one of the things I’ve tried but I get no results. What should I be setting the various filters/check boxes to?

No results suggests you do not have the packman repository.

Could you please open up a terminal and provide the output of:

zypper lr --details

Take Care,

Ian

I get 6 lines of info, relating to what seems to be 6 updates. The all come from http://downoad.opensuse.org - I’m not sure how to report them as I can’t seen to do a copy/paste?

Alright, that’s fine then. You haven’t played with any one-clicks or repositories yet. So I would first like you to read this:

Repository Management - openSUSE Forums

It will tell you how to manage your repositories (as these are where you get all your packages from).

And then you can get your media codecs in line with this how-to:

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

Good Luck,

Ian

Sorry! I forgot, anything from that Multi-media and Restricted formats guide, replace anything that says 11.0 with 11.1! Otherwise you might have some problems.

If you do encounter anything you don’t understand or have problems just post back here and we’ll get you straightened out.

Take Care,

Ian

Edit: Or just scroll down further for the 11.1 how-to! :wink:

Hi Ian
Well I read through those threads and here is what I have done.
I added the VideoLAN repo, and from it installed the file libdvdcss. Then I disabled the repo from the Yast screen.
Then I installed the packman and Nvidia repos, and found the k3b-codecs in packman. I added this, and the system wanted to add some other bits as well, some of which were in the list at the bottom of the second attachment you posted. Having done that I re-opened K3b and now I don’t get that error message. Great news!
It seems to be sorted so thanks very much for your help. I’ll have some dinner and then try to burn my CD.
Cheers again!

Just by way of advice. Don’t be tempted to burn cd’s fast, use the slower burning speed like 4x or 6x
Better results that way. Sounds like Ian has you sorted though!

OK well it’s writing at 8x
Just one question - ideally I’d like to normalize the volume setings but K3b says it needs an add on program called normalize - i’v added 2 programs called normalize from the pacman repo, but this hasn’t helped. Any ideas?

It’s called normalize. Just search for normalize and download the one that’s just called normalize. Then k3b will say something about on-the-fly when you try to use normalize, just tell it to disable it.

Take Care,

Ian

OK all done, thanks for all your help.
In case anyone else reads here at some point, I didn’t have much joy with a cd project consisting of mixed file types, particularly as some of them were windoze media player v2 files. I had to rip the tracks from cds again using k3b, and I also converted the mpeg/mp3 files to .ogg types. After that the tracks scanned, normalized and copied without any problems. A good result after all. England even won the cricket!