With some guidance from the post here:
Macbook Core Duo/OpenSuse 11.2 - No Sound Headphone Port - openSUSE Forums
I was able to get the sound working on my 17" MacBook Pro 3,1 running SUSE 11.2 x86_64.
I ran the script:
saved the output locally, and took a look at how my sound card was identified in the output file, which was saved as a file named something like:
in my /tmp directory.
The sound card was identified as follows:
Card hw:0 ‘Intel’/‘HDA Intel at 0xdb500000 irq 20’
Mixer name : ‘Realtek ALC889A’
Components : ‘HDA:10ec0885,106b2e00,00100103’
Controls : 32
Simple ctrls : 17
Using that information I took a look at the file:
to find the correct abbreviation to represent my sound card/computer, looking for “889”. A few MacBook Pros are listed toward the top of the list for the cards ALC882/883/885/888/889, but the one that worked was nearly at the end –
mb31 MacBook 3,1
I then edited both the:
files as root (probably only need to edit one, but I have not gone back and tried deleting the content from one and then the other to determine for sure if only one is being referenced) so that they contained:
options snd-hda-intel model=mb31
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
Originally the 50-sound.conf was empty, but I copied the contents of /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf.YaST2save into it, and added the “options snd-hda-intel model=mb31” line to both.
As described in the link above, I tried a few different values in place of “mb31” before hitting upon the right one, restarting the ALSA sound service between each one by issuing the command:
as root and then trying the sound.
Within the Sound preference panel of the Control Center (on the Gnome desktop) the hardware ended up being listed as “Analog Stereo Duplex”, and I believe this was set automatically once I hit upon the correct abbreviation for my sound card. Just mention this because I was wondering whether I needed to change this or not, and whether the setting would impact whether I would be able to know when I had found the correct abbreviation for my sound card - seems as though it did not, because I think I had set it to Digital in/Digital out, and it then set itself to a different value when I hit upon the correct abbreviation.