Containerized way to run Android apps on Tumbleweed?

I want to run an Android app on my Tumbleweed Gnome Wayland laptop. Is there a containerized or VM way to do this? I’d rather not install a bunch of weird apps in order to do this.

Should I do this using virt-mngr or VirtualBox? Or is there a pre-built Docker/Podman container to do this?

I’m a noob so I know very little about containers and have never used them. And I’m ready to learn.

Anyone here already done this?

@invalid_user_name I use qemu, but would depend on the android version you need… see the script here https://forums.opensuse.org/t/emulador-android-para-tumbleweed/166275

No flatpak version?

1 Like

You’re asking if there’s a flatpak version of the Android app I want to run? Unfortunately no.

@invalid_user_name Correct… So what is the application?

1 Like

The app is called OneAssist. It’s used to manage warranties.

@invalid_user_name So did you try the qemu route?

1 Like

Depending on which Android apps you want to use, the Ferdium flatpak might be all you need. Check out their project here: https://ferdium.org/
I use it for WhatsApp and a few others.

4 Likes

Does your app need some specific Android version (e.g. Android 8 or later)?

I used Android-9-x86 with virtualbox to test WhatsApp on my openSUSE Tumbleweed system. It worked but i found it “too clumsy” for every day usage.

1 Like

I tried to install Ubuntu in virt-mngr but it failed. When I get a moment I’ll try to research and fix the issue.

The app info page says it needs Android 5 and up. I’m guessing the closer I can get to Android 14 the better.

Does Ferdium have an Android service that allows me to use the Google Play Store to install the app I need?

@Pieter_v Update, I checked and looks like Ferdium does not directly run Android apps. So why is Ferdium recommended? I’m a noob so I must be missing something.

The Android app I want to run does not have a desktop version.

I didn’t know which app you waned to run, and Ferdium is an easy way to use certain apps normally used on a smart phone, such as WhatsApp, Instagram, Reddit etc. However it seems then that you really do want an Android environment of some sort to run the app you need.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. What is the easiest noob friendly way to do this? Waydroid? Something else? Anyone here is invited to answer this.

I can set up Ubuntu or some other distro in VirtualBox or virt-manager if that will help me achieve this goal.

Why setup Ubuntu?

As I told you in post #7 you can install Android x86 in virtualbox on your openSUSE Tumbleweed system.

1 Like

When you said it was “too clumsy” that kinda scared me off. I translated clumsy as buggy.

I can try it but it looks like it’s abandoned (over 2 years since last update) so likely buggy and security holes. I would only try it in a VM of some kind. Right now my VirtualBox and virt-manager are not working, so I gotta get them fixed first.

@invalid_user_name you don’t need a vm, qemu will suffice…

#!/usr/bin/bash

# Create and image file for android to run on;
# qemu-img create /data/applications/android/image/android_x86_64-9.0.img 20G

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-enable-kvm \
-m 4096 \
-smp 4 \
-cpu host \
-device virtio-tablet-pci -device virtio-keyboard-pci \
-boot menu=on \
-net nic \
-net user,hostfwd=tcp::5555-:22 \
-monitor stdio \
-vga qxl \
-hda /data/applications/android/image/android_x86_64-9.0.img
# \
# Add below to point at image for install
# -cdrom /data/applications/android/iso/android-x86_64-9.0-r2-k49.iso

Hmmm… Looks doable. Is the drive space and number of CPU cores specifiable?

I’m off to bed now so will try it tomorrow. yawn :sleeping:

Sorry that was my fault!

Androids UI is designed to be used with a touch screen. Using it with mouse+keyboard on a 15" 4K laptop screen (and I did not find out how to get the scaling done properly) wasn’t something I would like to do eight hours a day.

So “clumsy” refers just to my individual handling experience.

1 Like

@invalid_user_name yes, configure away… It will use your network connection as an internal wifi connection with the -net user,hostfwd=tcp::5555-:22 bit…

1 Like