Confirmation on HDA intel sound problem for 11.4rc1 64 bits

I just tested the KDE liveCD, so I cannot provide too much info (that’s why I need someone who can reproduce the problem).
When starting the system, an error message pops telling that the selected sound system did not start and the following on phonon list was selected instead (“default”). After that, the sound seems to work (amarok plays a song) but if you open kmix you find there are no channels! Yes “available channels” is completely empty! No capture devices (mic, for example, is absent), nothing… just one analog channel.
Someone on the Spanish forums see the same problem.
I have a HDA Intel ALC268 card on a toshiba laptop.
openSUSE 11.2 do not show this problem.

Thats because pulse audio is now enabled.

To get full audio control, I believe one needs to install padevchooser and pavucontrol which are not included by default in the liveCD.

Also, if you go to kmenu > configure desktop > multimedia and check out the phonon entry you will find more controls.

Thanks! I’ll try later your suggestion.
Problems because of pulse audio… that’s remember me something… rotfl!

On Sunday 13 Feb 2011 10:06, oldcpu scribbled:

>
> RGBsuse;2289535 Wrote:
>> I just tested the KDE liveCD, so I cannot provide too much info (that’s
>> why I need someone who can reproduce the problem).
>> When starting the system, an error message pops telling that the
>> selected sound system did not start and the following on phonon list was
>> selected instead (“default”). After that, the sound seems to work
>> (amarok plays a song) but if you open kmix you find there are no
>> channels! Yes “available channels” is completely empty! No capture
>> devices (mic, for example, is absent), nothing… just one analog
>> channel.
>
> Thats because pulse audio is now enabled.
>
> To get full audio control, I believe one needs to install padevchooser
> and pavucontrol which are not included by default in the liveCD.
>
> Also, if you go to kmenu > configure desktop > multimedia and check out
> the phonon entry you will find more controls.
>
>

I’ve installed from the DVD and got similar trouble. KMix on my “home”
session has 4 tabs, Playback Devices and Streams plus Capture Devices and
Streams. If I log on as “root”, I just get the old HDnVidia tab with all the
channels listed. If I try Settings ==> Audio Setup on the mixer panel, I get
no sounds from “test” on the home session but it works fine on root.

The error message mentioned by RGBsuse about the selected sound system not
working and switching to “default” is one I’ve had for ages and dates back
to 11.3 and probably before that. Should have done something about it, I
suppose, but the sound seemed to work - most of the time - so didn’t bother.

I get system sounds to work but get nothing with Flash (apart from when I’m
logged on as “root”). I’ve tried killing npviewer.bin and reloading the web-
page, which has been the cure in the past, but nothing happens now.

Now, Flash is playing and the PulseAudio Volume Meter is showing good signal
levels for “Dummy Output”, the only output channel. Presumably, it being
“dummy” is why I can’t hear anything.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: change boy to man

and ?

Did you try running pavucontrol ?

In particular try running it when playing back audio, and use it to tune settings while playback taking place.

[QUOTE=RGBsuse;2289535]I just tested the KDE liveCD, so I cannot provide too much info (that’s why I need someone who can reproduce the problem).
When starting the system, an error message pops telling that the selected sound system did not start and the following on phonon list was selected instead (“default”). After that, the sound seems to work (amarok plays a song) but if you open KMix you find there are no channels! Yes “available channels” is completely empty! No capture devices (mic, for example, is absent), nothing… just one analog channel.
Someone on the Spanish forums see the same problem.
I have a HDA Intel ALC268 card on a toshiba laptop.
openSUSE 11.2 do not show this problem.[/QUOTE]
Similar here, while testing 64bit 11.4 KDE liveCD, I get notified by this exact message:

The audio playback device **HDA Intel (ALC269 Analog)** does not work.
Falling back to **default**.

Opening KMix, I get four tabs: Playback Devices (Internal Audio/Analog Stereo @44% unmuted), Capture Devices (Internal Audio/Analog Stereo @50% unmuted), Playback Streams ((i) Event Sounds @100% unmuted), and Capture Streams (blank with no slider).

However, Alsamixer (available by default) looks more normal. Kernel 2.6.37 defines the chip as Intel Cantiga HDMI, consistent with my previous experience with 11.3 tested with that kernel.

On 11.4 liveCD it shows four Playback columns (Master @41, Headphone @96, Speaker @96, and PCM @100). After switching around with F3/4/5 it adds columns for Mic Boost 1 @0, and S/PDIF @00, to Playback. Don’t ask me why. Capture has two columns: Mic Boost 1 @0, and Capture @42.

At this stage OOTB, I have good sound from both KDE Test, and Amarok test sample.

Yast>Hardware>Sound shows Card Model: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller, although the device was not configured, so I selected edit and took the quick setup (i.e. no advanced changes) which finished normally. Unlike 11.3, clicking on Other>PulseAudio Configuration presented a tickbox to enable PulseAudio, so it was not enabled OOTB as the sound server.

After setup, Yast’s volume settings differed to either KMix or alsamixer, e.g Master Volume @0. After increasing that to @81 and dropping PCM from @100 to @90, the Yast sound test could be heard. After saving the Yast sound settings and exiting, there was no change to KMix or alsamixer except PCM had dropped to @99 (why? shrug). KDE test and Amarok sample still works.

Back to Yast>Hardware>Sound>Other>PulseAudio Configuration, and enabled it ok. On starting Amarok, phonon backend notified about not being able to play MP3 files (that’s ok on this liveCD test). It played the sample file ok, but can’t test concurrently with say Kaffeine as that fails with message about installing “Qt SQLite plugin”. The default media player Kaffeine not working OOTB is abit sad for RC1. :frowning:

Conclusion: Sound OOTB on liveCD is a bit confusing with settings of KMix/alsamixer/Yast showing variations, and then there is PulseAudio… to be continued. :smiley:

I found the same confusion (even though I do have sound working) on an install to hard drive. On the liveCD side, I found booting the liveCD with a USB webcam plugged was sure to confuse the auto sound configuration, as it tried to configure the webcam as the sound output device. :frowning:

For the hard disk install of 11.4 RC1 (from DVD), I did find I also needed padevchooser and pavucontrol to help sort things (they offer amazing features) but even then, I am not yet comfortable with the sound setup in 11.4 RC1 KDE4. My still having a fever w/headache may be contributing to a somewhat grumpy assessment.

On Sunday 13 Feb 2011 16:06, oldcpu scribbled:

>
> Cloddy;2289586 Wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday 13 Feb 2011 10:06, oldcpu scribbled:
>> > To get full audio control, I believe one needs to install
>> padevchooser

>> > and pavucontrol which are not included by default in the liveCD.
>>
>>
>
> and ?
>
> Did you try running pavucontrol ?
>
> In particular try running it when playing back audio, and use it to
> tune settings while playback taking place.
>

I’ve made another install on the same machine, this time without the default
pulseaudio, to see what happens. Seems like a long way round but it will
allow me to give both sessions a good test. I got the old kmix layout back
and got the sound working after a reboot. Although the sound was OK, I still
had to kill npviewer in order to correct a jerky video.

To answer your question, I’m fairly sure I ran pavucontrol but it didn’t
help. When I switch back to the other system, I’ll try again and let you
know what happens.

Digression:
I hope your flu is getting better. I had the vaccination three months ago
for the first time and now wish I hadn’t. I’ve been sneezing, coughing,
sniffling and suffering bunged-up sinuses for most of the time since then. I
think I’ll rely on natural immunity of advancing years in future.

I would like to add that if you have more than one sound device, additional devices are not configured. I found that going into YaST / Hardware / Sound and then I made sure all sound devices are configured and the primary sound device is device “0” and then sound seems to work OK and does not provide any more error messages. KMIX appears to be what was called kmix-pulse in openSUSE 11.3 and has a single output volume control. Inputs or programs providing audio seem to show up in the kmix playback streams tab. Who ever wrote pulse thinks the old way was too complicated and we need just one single output volume control and that is it.

Thank You,

I only have one sound device for 11.4 + KDE to configure, hardware now over one year old, and it’s still confusing, albeit only using liveCD.

KMIX appears to be what was called kmix-pulse in openSUSE 11.3 and has a single output volume control. Inputs or programs providing audio seem to show up in the kmix playback streams tab. Who ever wrote pulse thinks the old way was too complicated and we need just one single output volume control and that is it.

Maybe, but I never saw kmix-pulse on 11.3, and my 11.4 liveCD DIDN’T enable PulseAudio in YaST. Alsa mixer suggests to me that ALSA there is in control not P/A. In contrast, alsamixer only had one column/channel for Playback on 11.3 Gnome with P/A enabled by default.

Pulse break my audio rearing it’s god awful ugly head again.

Uninstall the **** and use alsa…works great like it has for years now. :wink:

If it ain’t broke replace it with something that is? :open_mouth:

Hi guys,

I’ve solved the problem by replacing my version of PulseAudio by this one: http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/GNOME:Factory/openSUSE_Factory/pulseaudio.ymp?base=openSUSE%3AFactory&query=pulseaudio

After a reboot things seem to be back to normal. I’ve tested only with Skype so far, I did not have any sound in it after a clean install of 11.4 RC1, it started working right away after replacing Pulseaudio with this new version (and after a reboot, just killing Pulseaudio was not enough).

Seb.

Uptade: sound is back in both Wine and Twinkle. The microphone works.

I am happy to hear of your success.

And I am not in change in this part of the forums.
But I would guess it would help others (users or even developers) better if you would gave them not a dynamic/changing link for a ymp (? to the actual version in GNOME:Factory for 11.4 ?) but the describtion (number, date, repository) of the versions (the ‘good’ and the ‘bad’ ones).

Just a guess for a possible improvement.

Regards
Martin

On Wednesday 16 Feb 2011 16:06, pistazienfresser scribbled:

>
> OldLodgeSkins;2290532 Wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I’ve solved the problem by replacing my version of PulseAudio by this
>> one: http://tinyurl.com/4kf89t3
>>
>> After a reboot things seem to be back to normal. I’ve tested only with
>> Skype so far, I did not have any sound in it after a clean install of
>> 11.4 RC1, it started working right away after replacing Pulseaudio with
>> this new version (and after a reboot, just killing Pulseaudio was not
>> enough).
>>
>> Seb.
>>
>> Uptade: sound is back in both Wine and Twinkle. The microphone works.
>
> I am happy to hear of your success.
>
> And I am not in change in this part of the forums.
> But I would guess it would help others (users or even developers)
> better if you would gave them not a dynamic/changing link for a ymp (?
> to the actual version in GNOME:Factory for 11.4 ?) but the describtion
> (number, date, repository) of the versions (the ‘good’ and the ‘bad’
> ones).
>
> Just a guess for a possible improvement.
>

The new version may be in factory now. I had a 1000+ updates this morning
and the sound worked. It didn’t work immediately with Flash but I went to
System Monitor to kill npviewer and the sound kicked in as soon as I clicked
on it it. Didn’t even need to kill it. Mind you, it also worked yesterday
after I’d got it working on a non-PulseAudio session.

Mixer menu is still the old version when logged on as root but the new one
when logged on as any other user - including a newly-created one. Note that
I’m not recommending logging on as root, just making an observation
regarding some strange behaviour.

consused wrote:

>
> jdmcdaniel3;2289647 Wrote:
>> I would like to add that if you have more than one sound device,
>> additional devices are not configured.
> I only have one sound device for 11.4 + KDE to configure, hardware now
> over one year old, and it’s still confusing, albeit only using liveCD.
>
>> KMIX appears to be what was called kmix-pulse in openSUSE 11.3 and
>> has a
>> single output volume control. Inputs or programs providing audio
>> seem
>> to show up in the kmix playback streams tab. Who ever wrote pulse
>> thinks the old way was too complicated and we need just one single
>> output volume control and that is it.
> Maybe, but I never saw kmix-pulse on 11.3, and my 11.4 liveCD DIDN’T
> enable PulseAudio in YaST. Alsa mixer suggests to me that ALSA there
> is in control not P/A. In contrast, alsamixer only had one
> column/channel for Playback on 11.3 Gnome with P/A enabled by default.
>
I finally got my Intel Sound to work on 2.6.37 (11.4 RC1) by switching
from Xine to GStreamer. But its confusing. It no longer see my center
speaker, but left and right work. Has five choices but default to Audio
Dummy. Amarok plays fine with the setup I have but I know its not
complete. when I reboot later I will go thru mmcheck again on 11.4.

my 11.4 is on a separate hard drive with same hardware as in signature.

Russ
openSUSE 11.3 (2.6.34.7-0.7-default)|KDE 4.6.0 Release 381|
Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS
Nvidia 260.19.29|Intel DX48BT2 Motherboard

Installing RC1 (KDE) to HD cleared up much of the audio muddle experienced running the liveCD. :slight_smile:

PulseAudio was enabled (Yast>Hardware>Sound>Other), and Other>Volume Settings: Master @68, PCM @100, Headphone @98, Speaker @98, and Mic Boost 2 @0. However KMix’s default has Volume @ 44%, and one can only guess what the various mixer scales mean as the KMix manual is for the old version. However, on every startup, I do get this KDE notification:

Multimedia System
The audio playback device HDA Intel (ALC269 Analog) does not work.
Falling back to HDA Intel, HDMI 0 (HDMI Audio Output).

No idea why, as the sound seems to work. The “Falling back” line is different from the message given by the liveCD.

Alsamixer, now with only two channels/columns (Playback @45, Capture @52), looks to be consistent with KMix’s Playback/Capture Devices and their scale settings.

Yast and KDE sound tests give good clear results on Headphones at the default level settings, but those will need increasing a lot for the notebook’s built-in speakers. Results for RC1 on the HD installation are very encouraging.

If Amarok is anything to go by, with PulseAudio enabled, the default sound level will need further tweaking to remove some distortion, when using a mix of applications. To aid further testing with PulseAudio, I installed “pavucontrol” and “paprefs”. They were available OOTB on 11.3 Gnome, as “Pulse Audio Volume Control” and “Pulse Audio Preferences”.

Hi Russ, glad to see you are still enjoying some testing and making progress. :slight_smile:

How is Amarok behaving with gstreamer? I started with default Phonon backend setting, and gstreamer was at a higher priority to xine. However on an earlier HD install, and with a dependency problem on some packman-factory sourced gstreamer packages, I had to switch to xine backend to get mp3 working on Amarok. I am going to see what happens on my latest HD install of RC1.

I’m suspicous that KDE users may eventually find it very beneficial to install additional pulse audio control applications, in order to obtain the control they were used to under kmix.

And I confess at this stage, this being new to me, I don’t know what the right balance of control applications will be.

Here are the menu’s that I get with the applicatin pavucontrol:

Playback (I am playing a song here in smplayer)
http://thumbnails37.imagebam.com/11995/2f8934119943288.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/2f8934119943288)

Recording (I am recording with my mic here using arecord)
http://thumbnails40.imagebam.com/11995/642b1b119943306.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/642b1b119943306)

Output Devices
http://thumbnails40.imagebam.com/11995/f0400b119943309.jpg](ImageBam)

Input Devices
http://thumbnails37.imagebam.com/11995/8d2688119943312.jpg](ImageBam)

… to be continued …

… continued from previous post:

Configuration
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/11995/61124e119943329.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/61124e119943329)

I installed paprefs, but I confess I have no use for it at this time, as my audio appears to work. Maybe its usefulness will come obvious to me later. For now it appears to me to be for users who are interested in Network sound server, which is not an interest of mine.

Here are the menu’s that I get

Network Access
http://thumbnails23.imagebam.com/11995/81f313119943331.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/81f313119943331)

Network Server
http://thumbnails37.imagebam.com/11995/35ea2c119944871.jpg](ImageBam)

Multicast/RTP
http://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/11995/055680119943465.jpg](ImageBam)

Simultaneous Output
http://thumbnails23.imagebam.com/11995/12f286119943467.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/12f286119943467)