Brother printer driver installs but can't print

Strange. Do you have glibc-32bit installed? FWIW, on my fully updated Leap 15 install glibc-32bit-2.26-lp150.10.13.x86_64, so perhaps you need to check the version installed.

I just bought a new laptop and I ran into the same problem–couldn’t print after installing the brother drivers. After getting nowhere with the cups interface I think I found the problem, at least in my case. In YAST>printers>print via network, “Accept Printer Announcements from Cups Servers” was unchecked. After I checked the box I could print.

Spoke too soon. Still can’t print. Something changed between leap 42.3 and 15. The brother driver installs but printing fails. Scanning works, strangely enough.

All I can suggest is to try to diagnose (via print jobs and error_log) as with the other system earlier in this thread.

Thanks, Deano. I appreciate all your help–it’s very kind of you. I spent so many fruitless hours trying to get printing to work with opensuse that I finally gave up and installed debian. Installing the deb brother packages worked without a hitch. I think something is broken with the opensuse brother printer set up.

I have a Brother DCP-7055 (USB connected) and an old HL-2150N (network) printer that I will test with when I get some time. I’ll report back with my findings.

Please post as root:

echo $PATH
   echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

Brother printer is work good but it seems a problem sometimes. It may be slow speed or your system need to update. The best thing you can check it online for solution

Hi,
it was not installed. Your solution is definitively the most elegant one.
Thank you!

Hehe openSUSE is the only one distro that runs my Brother printer/scanner! Thanks to yast I can install it in few steps. I had to struggle with it alone but now I’m happy and I can reproduce steps each time to fully working printer and scanner. On fedora I can print but scanner doesn’t work, on *buntus I can scan but no printer… My printer is Brother DCP-J125

My steps:

1. install:
sudo zypper in libusb-0_1-4 libusb-0_1-4-32bit

(without 32bit doesn’t work)
2. add me to lp group (to be sure, i do it on every distro :)) and logoff-login

sudo gpasswd -a <USER> lp

3.Download from brother site package “driver-install-tool” for all drivers installation

1. plug in printer (without it after installation I have to remove printer and run the installer.
    During installation I deny to choose printer location or set auto.

Sometimes I have to remove and add a printer in yast because there are two printers, but that’s all.

Scanner works as is but i have to # a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/55-brother-libsane-type1-inst.rules

#SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", GOTO="brother_mfp_udev_2"

[FONT=arial]to avoid stupid entry in journal.

I’m not a power user but this procedure is a mix of many attempts on many distros gathered together. Maybe there are some stupid steps that I’m not sure about but if something is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

[/FONT]

Strange. Do you have glibc-32bit installed? FWIW, on my fully updated Leap 15 install glibc-32bit-2.26-lp150.10.13.x86_64, so perhaps you need to check the version installed.

This solution worked for me. Thanks, Deano. I installed Leap 15 on an old laptop and after I installed the above package (along with many others that zypper pulled in automatically) printing and scanning work.

Hello Deano,

a thousand thanks to your tip. My MFC-J6520DW finally did print again. No problem with Leap 42.3 but with Leap 15 it stopped working.
I should have been warned so, because the (old) Brother drivers have the i386 in their rpm package names.

They should provide 64-Bit packages or update their installation instructions under their Driver install tool!

Thanks again,

Frerk

Thanks for your appreciation and good to read of your success with getting your Brother printer working with Leap 15.

Hello all!
In a very similar place with the posters here yet following the suggestions and ideas presented has borne no fruit for me yet. But I’m sure I’m close…
Brother MFC-9340CDW is the printer/scanner/fax machine attached to a USB port on the PC. Worked superbly under previous versions. I’ve got 4 machines running various Leap versions and all worked with the printer…until I’ve updated the printer I use for a print server to Leap15.
So trying to install the Utility Driver Install Tool from the Brother support site.

OliveOil:/home/TGL/Downloads # bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1 MFC-9340CDW
You are going to install following packages.
   mfc9340cdwlpr-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm
   mfc9340cdwcupswrapper-1.1.4-0.i386.rpm
   brscan4-0.4.5-1.x86_64.rpm
   brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.x86_64.rpm
OK? [y/N] ->y

rpm -ihv --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs mfc9340cdwlpr-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm
Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing...
   1:mfc9340cdwlpr-1.1.2-1            ################################# [100%]
rpm -ihv --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs mfc9340cdwcupswrapper-1.1.4-0.i386.rpm
Preparing...                          ########################################
Updating / installing...
mfc9340cdwcupswrapper-1.1.4-0         ########################################
lpadmin -p MFC9340CDW -E -v usb://dev/usb/lp0 -P /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/brother_mfc9340cdw_printer_en.ppd
#
The security level of AppArmor has been lowered. (aa-complain cups)
aa-complain cupsd
Profile for /usr/sbin/cupsd not found, skipping
Will you specify the Device URI? [Y/n] ->Y
0: beh
1: beh.pl
2: https
3: ipp
4: pipe
5: lpd
6: ipps
7: http
8: socket
9: hp
10: smb
11 (I): Specify IP address.
12 (A): Auto. (usb://dev/usblp0)

select the number of destination Device URI. ->12

lpadmin -p MFC9340CDW -v usb://dev/usblp0 -E
Test Print? [y/N] ->y

wait 5s.
lpr -P MFC9340CDW /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
   brscan4-0.4.5-1.x86_64.rpm
rpm -ihv --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs brscan4-0.4.5-1.x86_64.rpm
Updating / installing...
   1:brscan4-0.4.5-1                  ################################# [100%]
This software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
   brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.x86_64.rpm
rpm -ihv --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.x86_64.rpm
Updating / installing...
   1:brscan-skey-0.2.4-1              ################################# [100%]
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/opt/brother/scanner/brscan-skey/brscan_mail.config': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/opt/brother/scanner/brscan-skey/brscan_mailmessage.txt': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/opt/brother/scanner/brscan-skey/brscan-skey-0.2.4-0.cfg': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/brscan-skey': File exists
warning: %post(brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

So it looks like it’s pretty OK but for these four failed to create links. And then the error message at the bottom.
Files printed will go to the PrintQueue but it sits with status…“Waiting for printer to become available”….

Have checked and I haveglibc-32bit-2.26-lp150.11.6.120-x86_64installed. So maybe it needs to be the older version?

Have run **OliveOil:/lib #**objdump -p /opt/brother/Printers/mfc9340cdw/cupswrapper/brcupsconfpt1 | grep NEEDED

Which returns: NEEDED libc.so.6

Yet I see the libc.so.6 file in the /lib folder.

I noted that the poster of that detail also mentioned setting the symbolic links in the directory /lib.
I’m not sure how that’s done. I’m in the /lib folder as SU. When I hover on the lib.so.6 file in the status line of Dolphin is says: libc.so.6 (shared libary, Link to libc-2-26.so)
I’m not sure what that really means to me so I tried doing this to see if I can make the link:

OliveOil:/lib #   ln -s libc.so.6 libc-2.26.so
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'libc-2.26.so': File exists

But still cannot print.

Results of lpstat -t

OliveOil:/lib # lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: MFC9340CDW
device for MFC9340CDW: usb://dev/usblp0
MFC9340CDW accepting requests since Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:04:08 AM EDT
printer MFC9340CDW is idle.  enabled since Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:04:08 AM EDT

OliveOil:/lib # sudo systemctl status cups
● cups.service - CUPS Scheduler
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor preset: enable>
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2018-08-30 10:59:11 EDT; 3min 1s ago
     Docs: man:cupsd(8)
 Main PID: 8091 (cupsd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service
           ├─8091 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l
           └─8093 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://

Aug 30 10:59:11 OliveOil.JeepNet systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.
lines 1-11/11 (END)

[FONT=Liberation Sans]I sent a job and posted the output of the error log to this link: https://susepaste.org/10270538[/FONT]

I’m at a loss. It seems to just be repeating the same info over and over.
I did go ahead and try re-installing the rpm for the cupswrapper individually.

But the cupswrapper that downloaded with the utilities kit seems broken. (mfc9340cdwcupswrapper-1.1.2-1.i386)
Trying to install it via YaST and it cries about the integrity check and being broken as the pkg isn’t signed. I’m supposing I can trust the Brother driver, but if it’s broken…
So I went back and found a more recent version of the cups wrapper: mfc9340cdwcupswrapper-1.1.4-0.i386.rpm
But got the same error about the pkg not being signed.

Others are printing, of course not all with the same Brother device… but am I missing something basic?
I did note in the Brother prereq’s that it mentioned ports.
OMG I went to YaST to set the ports and firewalld is completely different.
I have no clue how to set ports in that interface now.
I’ll have to pursue help to can figure out how to use firewalld… growl… unless the ports aren’t an issue here.

Any ideas how I can get the printer to become available?
Thanks!

You have an incorrect printer URI configured for your USB-connected printer. It should not be ‘usb://dev/usblp0’, but instead it should look more like ‘usb://Brother/MFC9340CDW’.

D [30/Aug/2018:11:06:25 -0400] [Job 11] envp[20]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/MFC9340CDW.ppd"
D [30/Aug/2018:11:06:25 -0400] [Job 11] envp[21]="RIP_MAX_CACHE=128m"
D [30/Aug/2018:11:06:25 -0400] [Job 11] envp[22]="CONTENT_TYPE=application/pdf"
D [30/Aug/2018:11:06:25 -0400] [Job 11] envp[23]="DEVICE_URI=usb://dev/usblp0"
D [30/Aug/2018:11:06:25 -0400] [Job 11] envp[24]="PRINTER_INFO=MFC9340CDW"
D [30/Aug/2018:11:06:25 -0400] [Job 11] envp[25]="PRINTER_LOCATION=DR"
D [30/Aug/2018:11:06:25 -0400] [Job 11] envp[26]="PRINTER=MFC9340CDW"

[/size]

Thanks to the glibc-32bit suggestion from deano_ferrari I have two printers fixed for their openSUSE Leap 15.0 systems. I installed glibc-32bit (thereby getting lots of files). Don’t know if there are side effects from all these, except clutter.

Brother HL-2242D
Brother HL-L2340DW

That’s as expected (dependencies etc). Just let the package manager do its job. :wink:

Just for the search machines, if somebody has similar error messages in the /var/log/cups/error_log

D [12/Sep/2018:22:02:28 +0200] [Job 34] /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcp135c: Zeile 118: /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp135c/cupswrapper/brcupsconfpt1: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
D [12/Sep/2018:22:02:28 +0200] [Job 34] /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp135c/lpd/filterdcp135c: Zeile 45: /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp135c/lpd/brdcp135cfilter: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

This is a different brother printer type, but apparently more or less the same problem.

Both files actually exist, but they are ELF 32-bit LSB executables (according to mc) and I did not have 32bit libs installed. I installed the libelf1-32bit package with YaST and faced the same effect as the people that installed the glibc 32bit packages. Half of the internet was downloaded and installed, but afterwards it worked.

I wonder what would be the leanest option to install the missing libraries, without all that useless stuff that was installed as well.

Thank you Arnoldix for pointing to the solution and deano_ferrari for providing the cleanest solution.
Too bad there is no warning about this missing dependency in the Brother package, that will leave a lot of people on the side…I just sent a message to Brother in this regard. Hopefully they will take it into consideration.