ATI 9.1 Driver FINALLY Posted

Hit control alt F1 to exit the GUI. Log in as root and run this command

sax2 -r -m 0=radeon

When sax2 starts, go to change settings. From there you can see whether 3d is enabled by seeing if the box is checked. If it’s unchecked and grayed out, 3d is not available. If it’s not checked, check the box and exit, and save settings.

When you get back to the terminal enter the command

init 5

If that does not work, try

reboot

That’s pretty much it. The radeon driver is the open source one that comes with Suse.

I would like to try the 9.2 beta here if possible. Where can it be obtained? Thanks.

I was installed trough yast but it’s the version 8.561 is it 9.1? if i make a package manually i get 8.573-1.

The real problem is. We pay the same money for our hardware and get limited support. NOT ACCEPTABLE! My 4870 hates the new driver.
Performance under the default is flawless, desktop effects and all.

Maybe there should be a point of sale discount “show me your Linux user ID and you get the card for half price…cause it only works half as well with your software”…like thats gonna happen

I managed to find the 9.2 beta driver (shows a 8.58.2 in ATI Catalyst) and the gnome system monitor app now runs without crashing x. This is with my MSI Radeon HD3850. glxgears still hangs the system though.

try using fgl_glxgears.

也许可以解决我的问题
may be it can clear up my problems.

i am using 8-12 version on 11.0 without a problem.i dont use desktop effects and all.should i upgrade to the new version??what does it offer me??

It has Open GL 3.0 support, supposedly. Check the release notes for full details. I’m thinking that’s why they went to the 9x naming scheme from the 8x scheme.

Hare Krishna!

Hmm, wrangling with the previous driver release on openSuse 11.1 and ATI RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] was absolutely no fun and no success. Even though I’d like fancy 3D effects, I’ll wait another few weeks…to catch my breath :slight_smile:

Good luck to everybody who tries the latest driver, though!

The previous 8.12 driver was not even intended to run in 11.1, so it’s not surprising you had so many problems. And the people who did get it to run had to use all kinds of fancy tricks to coax it along.

Time based releases are perhaps obscene marketing invention, but everyone understand them, dont’ they? ERrrrr oh yes.

8.12 December 2008
8.11 November 2008

Now 1 month later-ish, we have 9.1. My new calender says it’s January when they released, and and it’s a new calendar, so perhaps some significant digit rolled over, not just the month.

Oh boy, that’s all that the numbers mean? 8.12=2008.Dec, 9.1=2009.Jan? Ugh, I did NOT realize that. :\ Well, I stand by my wait time; I have other stuff to worry about than the latest whizbang-or-not driver.