ATI 9.1 Driver FINALLY Posted

Get it while it’s hot:

ATI Catalyst™ 9.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

Yay!

Anyone tried this yet, looks like another late night for me!

Does it work on 32bit 11.1?

M

Despite following the instructions to the line, it’s broken for me, - boots to a blank screen every time.

OpenSUSE 11.1
KDE4.2

Back to the opensource radeonhd driver.

Looks like the server died! can’t download it.

aaaargh the suspense!

No they screwed-up the link.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64.run

thats the 64bit version, I was trying to get at the 32 bit version.

but thanks for posting.

Don’t forget to install the dependencies first:

System Requirements
Before attempting to install the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite, the follow-
ing software must be installed:
• XOrg 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 or 7.4
• Linux Kernel 2.6 and above
• glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
• POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite no longer provides precompiled Kernel
Modules; all installations require GCC compiler and kernel-headers or ker-
nel-source in order to enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
For best performance and ease of use, AMD recommends the following:
• Kernel module build environment
• Kernel source code include either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers
packages
• The RPM utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system,
if you intend to install via RPM packages
• The following packages must be installed in order for the ATI Catalyst™
Linux driver to install and work properly:
• XFree86-Mesa-libGL
• libstdc++
• libgcc
• XFree86-libs
• fontconfig
• freetype
• zlib
• gcc

I’m gonna wait a day or two before I try it.

Ever since one time when I downloaded the new ATI driver on the day it was released and the corner of my screen had a watermark that said “ATI Catalyst Driver, Evaluation Version” which I could not get rid if, I have been cautious about downloading ATI drivers on the day they are are posted.

Been there, done that, more than likely enough times to earn several t-shirts… :wink:

It worries me slightly that the blank screen bug has been going on for quite a while… and yet it’s still there, rendering newer hardware useless for anything other than 2D.

ID Sev Pri OS Assignee Status Resolution Summary
766 blo P2 Gent bugs@cchtml.com NEW blank screen x800 PCI-e card
1049 blo P2 SuSE bugs@cchtml.com NEW Causes a blank black screen
923 maj P2 Gent bugs@cchtml.com NEW Xorg returns blank screen with ati-drivers-8.433
1113 maj P2 Debi bugs@cchtml.com NEW OpenGL windows remain blank: X1650
1322 nor P2 Fedo bugs@cchtml.com NEW Blank screen at X-restart after aticonfig --set-dispattri…
733 blo P1 Fedo bugs@cchtml.com NEW blank screen xserver fails to start
1116 blo P1 All bugs@cchtml.com NEW fglrx 8.476 driver causes random blank screens with reboo…

ATI sucks… nVIDIA GET !!1!1!

/troll

I have not had any major problems with the last half-dozen or so ATI driver releases. The last big problem I had was with the screen corruption, but that was pretty easily fixed by disabling offscreen pixmaps in my Xorg file.

That said, I don’t use any desktop effects, so this could account for my string of good luck. But I don’t think the desktop effects work all that well with my Nvidia cards either.

In any event, I am eager to try out this new driver, maybe later on tonight or tomorrow.

Has this driver actually worked for anyone? And if not, have you guys with problems tried both methods (running the installer or generating an RPM)?

Nobody? So either we have a board full of complainers, or a really bad driver release. I guess I better find out for myself.

Sorry about the delay in posting, had problems logging in. I have downloaded the latest software and generated an RPM. The installation was flawless and everything works great, even got a bit of extra speed. I am running openSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.2 on a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop (waiting for my Studio 17)

Generating an RPM is my next course of action. Hopefully installing over the current install should be okay…

To make sure it’s a clean installation I always remove the old rpm first

The release notes say the driver has full OpenGL 3.0 support. I don’t know what that will actually mean in real world usage though.

What about 64bits , with that new version we still need to replace the “fglrx_dri.so” 32bits for 64bits…?

i really hope they had fixed that and this time i’ll be able to try out desktop effects…

And about “xv” driver under “xine,mplayer…” how it’s perform this time with Desktop effects on…?

Anyways i’ll install today night and i’ll post feedback…

AFAIK, the same driver provides both 32 and 64 bit support. You would certainly expect that anyway, judging from the file name:

ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64.run

I know that but the last drive we (64bit users) had a problem it could be pratial solved replacing “fglrx_dri.so” like this thread says …

How To: ATI Drivers OpenSUSE 11.1 - Ubuntu Forums

it’s a work around … doesn’t fixed accully any thing… 3d 32bits games under my system became really crappy…

Here’s my initial thoughts on the new driver:

Gnome now loads much slower, however that being said, in Gnome with desktop effects on I no longer have unwatchable video, Banshee and VLC both now play fine whether the WM is compiz, metacity or kwin, though I also notice that using kwin in Gnome is a little more prone to visual corruption of window elements.

OpenGL performance seems to be about on par with 8.12. steady 200 fps in sauerbraten.

However Return To Wolfenstein now finally works along with many other 32 bit gl games.

Forgot to mention no need to play with symlinks after the install, acceleration works out of the box. Also note I did not use Sax to configure but rather the catalyst control center.

OK, I just installed the latest ATI driver on my notebook. fglrxinfo and the ATI control panel both show me using the new driver. Both glxgears and fgl_glxgears work fine.

But it was not as easy of an installation as previous drivers.

First I installed all the dependencies, then cd’ed to the driver on my desktop, and ran it using the “automated install” option.

Then I ran

aticonfig --initial -f

The I logged out and saw I had no x-server, so I ran

sax2 -r

Sax2 started, and showed the correct resolution and 3d acceleration activated. Exiting sax2 I got a blank screen, so I did a forced reboot.

When I rebooted, I had a desktop, however the ATI control panel applet said I was not running the ATI driver. and the command

fgl_glxgears

froze the system.

Did another forced reboot. Then ran aticonfig a seconfd time, then I exited the x-server (control-alt-F1) and ran

sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

Sax2 started, everything looked fine, I exited and ran

init 5

to get to the log in screen. Logged in and things were still not working right. So I rebooted, and now everything works perfect, as far as I can see. So for so good.

So I think the driver works, just be ready to do some tinkering until it starts working right.

And if you simply cannot get your desktop back, from the text prompt, log in as root and run

sax2 -r -m 0=radeon

to get back to the original driver again. And don’t forget to uninstall the ATI driver before trying anything else.

Cheers and good luck!