Active Directory Authentication With Likewise Open

Hello,

Firstly, I commend you for the innovative well thought out OpenSuse project providing users an OS for desktop and embedded systems. I will however like to add that it will be great if you can add components of LikewiseOpen with the next release of OpenSuse; Likewise Software: Join Linux, Unix and Mac to Active Directory , screenshots here; Screen shots of Likewise Open Software , demo video here; Demos | Likewise Open| Products | Likewise Software . Likewise is basically LDAP that provides the added functionality of letting one name a system similar to a Windows “Computer Name” as well as securely join and authenticate onto Active Directory domains (via kerberos, etc) so you can manage the system even in windows servers. We all know most enterprises are run by windows servers, so for OpenSuse to be enterprise-ready and readily play well in enterprise settings, adding LikewiseOpen Active Directory functionality is an important step.

According to a Linux Magazine article, Ubuntu and RedHat will ship their next versions with LikewisOpen; Making Interoperability Possible: An Interview with Likewise CEO Barry Crist | Linux Magazine , while others such as Novell, IBM, etc are have the same plans in the works. It is tantamount to mention that should OpenSuse not follow suit on the next version, it may loose parts of its desktop and embedded systems user base to the likes of Ubuntu simply because of the ability to join enterprise Active Directory networks. At least, that is what we are having to debate now on several planned embedded projects.

Here is an elaborate document on using Likewise Open; Likewise Open Guide .

Thanx.

J

Hello,

In addition to my last email to you, I am further confirming that as of Ubuntu 8.04 released around May 2008, the Active Directory authentication feature from Likewise has already been integrated. Here is confirmation; Authentication Integration | Ubuntu

Thanx.

J

techieg wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> In addition to my last email to you, I am further confirming that as
> of Ubuntu 8.04 released around May 2008, the Active Directory
> authentication feature from Likewise has already been integrated. Here
> is confirmation; ‘Authentication Integration | Ubuntu’
> (http://tinyurl.com/5o2qwn)
>
> Thanx.
>
> J

I think your best bet would be to open a feature request through
https://features.opensuse.org/ and see if they implement it. The forums
really are volunteers supporting people with issues; we really don’t
have anything to do with creating the distro itself, just supporting it.

AD support has been available for a while. Check out this discussion of SLED 10 from 2006: Can Linux Desktops Live in An Active Directory World? And I think Likewise has been available on openSUSE since 10.3.

There something wrong with the login. I have been kick out after posting and going to another thread, back into my last post I am login again. Weird:confused:
Sorry something wrong with the forum see this link http://forums.opensuse.org/forums-comments-suggestions/410754-sign.html#post1964310