32-Bit Tumbleweed

Malcom, thanks!

Why has this forums degraded so so much throughout the last years? One guy from Holland an this hui as most prominent posters of rude, useless stuff…

Happy Holidays and peaceful time :slight_smile:

Ok…so much for that :thinking:

2 Likes

TW 32-bit requires CPU with SSE2 and 2+ cores.
Do you have such hardware?
If CPU supports SSE2 and has 2+ cores then it probably supports X86-64.

Can anybody point me to the part of the installation process that allows me to edit URLs?

I don’t see it.

Hui. I am in the process of noting down all the failures and will see if it is feasible to manually unselect individual packages.

Manually deselecting is a bad recommendation, which is not based on reality. You will most likely end with a broken system ( if you don‘t know what you are doing).

Simply use the offline installer (USB or DVD) but don‘t enable online repositories whilst installation. After that you can simply start the operating system, open YaST->Software and edit the repositories there.

1 Like

Hui, see my posting from 9th December

“Tried another install by refusing the online repos. That yielded a desktop that I have never seen before (despite me requesting KDE) PLUS the keyboard map had completly changed from my selection (Finnish) to something very different. Possibly US?”.

Why would it need multiple cores? SMT kernels can run perfectly fine on single core machines, if that’s what you’re referring to.

This doesn’t sound like something originating from choosing offline installation over having network access. Try again? Maybe make a thread about that specific installation problem? :slight_smile:

Yep, such problems are often caused by a broken installation medium. My question in the very first answer of this thread was not answered:

New Linux releases (including openSUSE) requires 2 or more kernels (never saw CPU with 1 kernel + HT). With 1 core they can lock, and this problem developers refuses to solve.
For me even Athlon 64 X2 is too slow.

That’s … not something I’ve ever heard of; but I may actually have missed it! Do you have a link of some sort? Neither Google nor Bing are showing anything about this with my admittedly naïve queries.

Mind that those somewhat popular small systems like Raspberry Pi Zero and similar from other vendors, all only have one core as well, and those aren’t really legacy yet. People ought to have noticed, I’d think.

AFAIR Richard Biener mentioned this.

According to Intro(3synch)

Spin locks must not be used on a single processor system. In the best case, a spin lock on a single processor system will waste resources, slowing down the owner of the lock; in the worst case, it will deadlock the processor.

I am operating a Compaq nc-6400 laptop it has i686 architecture. Full install not network install, machine froze during boot then asked for help on openSUSE mailing list. I received help then by obtaining y2-logs, filing a bug report and then got involved with the 5.11.xxx kernel (this is about 2-3 years ago. I will list the output of it’s current inxi -Fxz so you are able to see the hardware on the machine here. I locked the 5.11.xxx but am running solid on 6.6.7-1pae currently. It is current full zypper dup as well.

paul@paul-Compaq-nc6400:~> inxi -Fxz
System:
Kernel: 6.6.7-1-pae arch: i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.1
Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.10 Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20231228
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq nc6400 (RC454AW#ABA)
v: F.0B serial:
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 30AD v: KBC Version 56.34
serial: BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68YCU Ver. F.0B
date: 09/05/2007
CPU:
Info: dual core model: Intel T2400 bits: 32 type: MCP arch: M Yonah rev: 8
cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 2 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 997 high: 998 min/max: 1000/1833 cores: 1: 997 2: 998
bogomips: 7317
Flags: ht nx pae sse sse2 sse3 vmx
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-3.5 bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.9 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.2 driver: X:
loaded: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: i915 gpu: i915
resolution: 1280x800
API: EGL v: 1.4,1.5 drivers: i915,swrast platforms:
active: x11,surfaceless,device inactive: gbm,wayland
API: OpenGL v: 4.5 compat-v: 2.1 vendor: mesa v: 23.2.1 glx-v: 1.4
direct-render: yes renderer: i915 (: 945GM)
API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.
Audio:
Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
API: ALSA v: k6.6.7-1-pae status: kernel-api
Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.0 status: off
Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active
Network:
Device-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5753M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: tg3 v: kernel port: N/A bus-ID: 08:00.0
IF: ens1 state: down mac:
Device-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: iwl3945 v: in-tree:s bus-ID: 10:00.0
IF: wlp16s0 state: up mac:
Bluetooth:
Device-1: HP Bluetooth 2.0 Interface [Broadcom BCM2045] driver: btusb v: 0.8
type: USB bus-ID: 1-1:2
Report: btmgmt ID: hci0 rfk-id: 7 state: down bt-service: enabled,running
rfk-block: hardware: no software: no address: bt-v: 2.0 lmp-v: 3
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 150.99 GiB used: 30.35 GiB (20.1%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9160821AS size: 149.05 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdc model: USB 2.0 Flash Disk size: 1.94 GiB type: USB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 145.72 GiB used: 28.97 GiB (19.9%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/dm-1
mapped: system-root
ID-2: /home size: 145.72 GiB used: 28.97 GiB (19.9%) fs: btrfs
dev: /dev/dm-1 mapped: system-root
ID-3: /opt size: 145.72 GiB used: 28.97 GiB (19.9%) fs: btrfs
ID-4: /var size: 145.72 GiB used: 28.97 GiB (19.9%) fs: btrfs
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 3.31 GiB used: 1.39 GiB (41.8%)
dev: /dev/dm-2 mapped: system-swap
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 28.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (rpm): N/A
Info:
Processes: 228 Uptime: 4d 21h 12m Memory: total: N/A available: 3.31 GiB
used: 2.14 GiB (64.7%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 13.2.1 Packages: N/A
note: see --rpm Shell: Bash v: 5.2.21 inxi: 3.3.31
paul@paul-Compaq-nc6400:~>

Thanks

I have a more than a dozen “current”, for current defined as within past half year having completed zypper dup at least once, installations of 32 bit TW. Most of them are on Pentium 4s, which are all single core, and one on a Core2Duo originally installed before I made my first 64 bit installation of anything. I have all running on kernel-default. None have more than 2G RAM. All boot successfully to TDE, KDE3, and/or (on 4 of them) Plasma. ImageMagick-doc-7.1.1.25-2.1.noarch.rpm is still available. So is ImageMagick-7.1.1.25-2.1.i586.rpm. Even though i’m in USA, ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/ is the source I typically use when download.opensuse.org and cdn.opensuse.org are giving trouble. It’s not unusual that it’s late on getting sync’d, but it’s reliable for me, and sometimes late is just what’s needed when there are dependency problems caused by version increments.

You can change CPU to T7200 and get x86-64.

Are you serious about this? Can you tell me any more about this by chance?

-Thanks

@panorain just check the output from dmidecode and see if the CPU is type FRU (as in a socket) and what type of socket. But it may also depend on the BIOS… Need to see the manufacturers specs…

Here has FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip) I do not seem to see FRU in the (Processor-Information) section.

My question for you is as follows: I attempted to enter the S/N and with a failure. Then attempted to enter the M/N into a field on the HP website and the information does not take. When the S/N is entered an error is encountered as follows: This product cannot be identified using the serial number alone. Please provide a product number in the field below.

Then entering M/N information the field reverts to blanking out. Is there a place to document/better look for this (manufacturer specification) which you speak of?

-Thanks

Try the serial number here http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx

FRU is Feild Replaceable Unit…

That link doesn’t seem to work above but I was able to add an s after http and it pulls up.