Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot boot from usb to install openSUSE Tumbleweed on T470s

Default Cannot boot from usb to install openSUSE Tumbleweed on T470s

Hi all,

I need your help to install openSUSE Tumbleweed on my just got T470s. It has Windows 10 preloaded with UEFI enabled. I want to use UEFI boot, with or without secure boot. The BIOS is updated to the latest 1.06 version.

I burned the ISO (snapshot 20170311) into a USB thumb drive, following 2 methods below with two different USB sticks. But none of them can make the laptop boot, with or without secure boot.

I have set in the BIOS to enable boot from USB. When I restart Windows 10, or press power button several seconds to complete poweroff the laptop then boot it, and then press F12 to choose a boot device, the USB device shows up. But when I select it and hit enter, the screen just splash back to the device list.

The burning methods I used,

First,
    Code:
    umount /dev/sdb
    dd if=ostw.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M status=progress;sync
    Second, using SUSE Studio ImageWriter.

Any suggestion to install oSTW along with Win10 with UEFI enabled?
    Last edited by cnzhx; 13-Mar-2017 at 15:50. Reason: Add information of updating BIOS.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: Cannot boot from usb to install openSUSE Tumbleweed on T470s

After hours of trying, I managed to use `Rufus` to create a bootable USB stick.

But some packages failed to install:
    Code:
    yast2-iscsi-client
    yast2-network
    zypper-lifecycle-plugin
    yast2-branding-openSUSE
    Last edited by cnzhx; 13-Mar-2017 at 18:05. Reason: Add failed packages

Rufus modifies the image be sure you use the dd option.

Either prior method should have worked. Personally I us cp /pathtoiso /dev/sdb. You want a binary copy of the iso to a device (not a partition on the device)

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what went wrong there.

Make sure that you are using the 64-bit iso, not the 32-bit iso. While either should work, my understanding is that the 32-bit release is not as thoroughly tested as the 64-bit. Moreover, you have a UEFI system, and that needs 64-bit.

But when I select it and hit enter, the screen just splash back to the device list.
    When I see that, it is typically because of a "secure-boot" issue. Try disabling secure-boot in your BIOS.

On my Lenovo Thinkserver, I don't change the boot device in the BIOS. I just hit F12 during boot, and select the boot device there. When I first got that box, secure-boot did not work with opensuse install media. So I had to turn off secure-boot to install. After a BIOS update, that's no longer an issue.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

On 03/14/2017 09:06 AM, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > Rufus modifies the image be sure you use the dd option.
    >
    > Either prior method should have worked. Personally I us cp /pathtoiso
    > /dev/sdb. You want a binary copy of the iso to a device (not a partition
    > on the device)
    >
    >

Why not use SuSE Studio Writer? It works specifically with openSuSE ISO's.

--
    Ken
    linux since 1994
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

That work ok too. as I said you need a unmodified binary copy of the iso to go to the device not a partition on a device how you accomplish this is up to you thee are lots of ways.

Sorry guys, I wish I could reply earlier but I seems not able to login to this forum today.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Rufus modifies the image be sure you use the dd option.

Either prior method should have worked. Personally I us cp /pathtoiso /dev/sdb. You want a binary copy of the iso to a device (not a partition on the device)
    I thought the DD option was a sort of like the `dd` command and it failed me before, so I choose the first option (forgot the name). Maybe this is the reason that several packages failed to install. But the system booted successfully and I installed them later.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not sure what went wrong there.

Make sure that you are using the 64-bit iso, not the 32-bit iso. While either should work, my understanding is that the 32-bit release is not as thoroughly tested as the 64-bit. Moreover, you have a UEFI system, and that needs 64-bit.

When I see that, it is typically because of a "secure-boot" issue. Try disabling secure-boot in your BIOS.

On my Lenovo Thinkserver, I don't change the boot device in the BIOS. I just hit F12 during boot, and select the boot device there. When I first got that box, secure-boot did not work with opensuse install media. So I had to turn off secure-boot to install. After a BIOS update, that's no longer an issue.
    Yes, it's weird. Like I stated in the first post, I tried both with and without "secure boot". And I was definitely using 64-bit version.
    In case anyone interests on this, "secure boot" works as I successfully installed oSTW later with it enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 03/14/2017 09:06 AM, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > Rufus modifies the image be sure you use the dd option.
    >
    > Either prior method should have worked. Personally I us cp /pathtoiso
    > /dev/sdb. You want a binary copy of the iso to a device (not a partition
    > on the device)
    >
    >

Why not use SuSE Studio Writer? It works specifically with openSuSE ISO's.

--
    Ken
    linux since 1994
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996
    Yes, I tried ImageWriter but failed.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    That work ok too. as I said you need a unmodified binary copy of the iso to go to the device not a partition on a device how you accomplish this is up to you thee are lots of ways.
    I will try the `cp` method later so that if it works for me then I do not need a Windows in future :-)
    And I'll try to find out why the first two methods failed in my case.

Again, thank you all for your concern. I am writing on the new laptop with openSUSE Tumbleweed now but there are still several problems I could not solve. Hopefully someone could help me out. I'll open several posts later.
    Last edited by cnzhx; 14-Mar-2017 at 14:23. Reason: Add state of "secure boot" working well.

Make sure that you disable the fast boot during the install and reboot processes.
    I've been using ImageWriter for a long time.

What error messages did you get with it?
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 42.3 - Plasma 5.8.7
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.10.4
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Romanator View Post
    Make sure that you disable the fast boot during the install and reboot processes.
    I've been using ImageWriter for a long time.

What error messages did you get with it?
    Thanks. I've tried with and without "fast boot" enabled. It seems have no influence on this. And during the last installation, which is successful, the boot is set to "fast boot".

There is no error when using imagewriter, and during boot with the USB stick. The only symptom is that screen black for 1 second then returning back to boot device selection. I guess my problem is not with the methods, but something else. I'll try to find out when I have time to test.

Quote Originally Posted by cnzhx View Post
    Thanks. I've tried with and without "fast boot" enabled. It seems have no influence on this. And during the last installation, which is successful, the boot is set to "fast boot".

There is no error when using imagewriter, and during boot with the USB stick. The only symptom is that screen black for 1 second then returning back to boot device selection. I guess my problem is not with the methods, but something else. I'll try to find out when I have time to test.
    There can be two "fast boots" on some systems, one in the BIOS, the other in Windows. The one in Windows is usually the main headache, but should be turning both the BIOS & Windows fast boots off to be sure.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~~~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast