Zypper not working anymore, this is related to the virtiofsd bug

Today tried an update, and I choose to abort, because of this.

Checking for file conflicts: ................................................................................................................[done]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/libexec/virtiofsd;65e0967a: cpio: File from package already exists as a directory in system
error: virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64: install failed
error: virtiofsd-1.10.1-2.1.x86_64: erase skipped
(1/1) Installing: virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64 ..............................................................................................[error]
Installation of virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64 failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: Command exited with status 1.
Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): 

Then tried zypper rm and zypper in, but that failed too, no such file or directory.

After a reboot, zypper does not work anymore. ( and not a big surprise my virtual machine (win 10)stopped working.

I also tried yast to uninstall that package, but yast also has stopped working.

@Gps2010 this has been last weeks issue :wink: and a number of forum threads… zypper rm virtiofsd it’s a directory naming issue. Whatever gets uninstalled, from the list re-install then zypper dup.

See the bug reports https://forums.opensuse.org/t/unable-to-install-update-to-virtiofsd-1-10-1-3-1-x86-64-what-to-do/172767/9

I had already read those. That why I tried zypper rm. :smiley:

But that did not work, and now both yast and zypper stopped working.

Should I just rollback, and wait a few days or ?

@Gps2010 the downside of skipping snapshot releases on a rolling distribution… you could try rollback and then do the zypper rm first.

1 Like

@malcolmlewis It’s better not to suggest removing virtiofsd package. Many users are complaining of it removing essential packages together with it.
Here’s another user with the same problem:

@Gps2010 Rollback to a working snapshot and rename the virtiofsd dir, then run dup:

sudo mv /usr/libexec/virtiofsd /usr/libexec/virtiofsd_old
sudo zypper dup
1 Like

@pavinjoseph if you read what I posted, there was advice to install all the other packages it removed…

The issue for @Gps2010 (and others we have seen) is sometimes exacerbated by missing critical snapshots (not supported) like virtiofsd was last week, then a few weeks ago rpm/zypper not working hit some folks.

Good thing about Linux, always another way to do something :wink:

3 Likes

We have a winner, my tumbleweed is working 100% again.

There are parts that totally confuse me, I could at first not remove virtiofsd.
Not through the command line nor from yast.

What did work was renaming the file and then again zypper dup, after a roll back.

This proofs my points though, computers are build to annoy us. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.