zypper just installed app - Now, how to launch?

Thought I’d ask this question,

For now, if the application executable wasn’t the same name as the package, I’d have to open up YAST software management to browse the installed files and find the executable.

“zypper info” of course doesn’t list filenames, and I don’t know that there is a zypper command that will display the executable (or any other files).

Is there a zypper only solution to this(I can’t find this in the man) or will I have to continue to open the package in YAST?
(Am hoping for a command line only solution).

TIA,
TS

Not sure about zypper, but ‘rpm -ql’ will give you a list of files in the package.

On 07/15/12 20:26, tsu2 pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> Thought I’d ask this question,
>
> For now, if the application executable wasn’t the same name as the
> package, I’d have to open up YAST software management to browse the
> installed files and find the executable.
>
> “zypper info” of course doesn’t list filenames, and I don’t know that
> there is a zypper command that will display the executable (or any other
> files).
>
> Is there a zypper only solution to this(I can’t find this in the man)
> or will I have to continue to open the package in YAST?
> (Am hoping for a command line only solution).
>
> TIA,
> TS

zypper wp

It is not a ‘zypper’ function per se, you need to use the ‘rpm’ command instead.

I do remember an openFATE request on the same topic

https://features.opensuse.org/308437

1. Thx Deano, that was an interesting openFATE link.
  2. Re: zypper wp
    And, I find it curious both in that openFATE thread and here that “zypper wp” won’t likely work for what I’ve asked… “zypper wp <filename>” should find whatever package contains the file (wp = what provides?) which is the inverse of what I reallly need which is “what is the file within the package?”

If anyone making decisions looks at this thread, i think that the feature I’m looking for might be more easily implemented than the other features requested in the openFATE thread… I suspect that what I’m requesting can be implemented without creating a whole backend and can be implemented “on demand” – ie. If the package doesn’t still exist on the system, then the package can be downloaded again, extracted and then the file(s) can be listed according to whatever parameters desired (in my case looking for the executable attribute and possibly displaying the path). In other words, presumably fairly straightforward and with only little additional coding.

Thx all,
TSU