Yast2 where the update run to?

Hello All,

I have upgraded to 12.1, and when i go to yast2 to update my packages there is no option.
I have the update repoistories so i am at a lost.

Can you help me?

Many Thanks.

Can you please be more descriptive on what you are doing. Wher exactly do you click in YaST, what do you see where, what did you expect to there instead. I guess you start with YaST > Software > Software management, but it is not good to give any advice bases on guesses.

On 12/14/2011 05:56 PM, xupetas wrote:
>
> I have upgraded to 12.1

when you say upgraded, tell us please: from what? and how? that is,
which of these two methods did you follow step by step:

http://tinyurl.com/35p966c

http://tinyurl.com/6kvoflv

and, if you did not follow all steps in order, please tell us in which
ways you varied from those two recommended and supported methods.

> when i go to yast2 to update my packages there is no option.

you mean, no update option, or no option to add any new software?

> I have the update repoistories so i am at a lost.
>
> Can you help me?

are you saying when you open YaST from the menu and the YaST Control
Center opens up it does not have Software (on the left) highlighted? if
not, please click on Software and then on the right you should see
“Online Update”, like here: URL: http://paste.opensuse.org/5888368

but, yours may look different from mine…

with the update repo enabled and refreshed (which you can see in YaST >
Software Repositories) you should be able to just click on Online Update
and it will…

or, if you want to add new software just go YaST > Software Management.

is that enough help? if not, please take a screen shot of what you are
seeing and put it to paste.opensuse.org like i did…

DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

Hello All,

I have upgraded as in installed a new opensuse 12.1 and completely replaced a 11.3 environment. It’s a fresh install.
It’s a console only system, so no X.

So when i run yast, on the right side, on suse 11.3 i used to get a “Online Update” option.
In 12.1, there is no such option, only software managment. Where is it hidden?

Many thanks.

You see how important it i to tell what you did? Most people would call this: I installed 12.1 (because nothing is lefft, thus nothing is upgraded).

When I call yast (not yast2) from a console on my 12.1 I get:

YaST2 - menu @ boven                                                                                               

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐   
  │                                            YaST2 Control Center                                             │   
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘   

┌───────────────────────────────┐ ┌───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐   
  │Software                       │ │Online Update                                                              │   
  │Hardware                       │ │Software Management                                                        │   
  │System                         │ │Add-On Products                                                            │   
  │Network Devices                │ │Media Check                                                                │   
  │Network Services               │ │Package Search (webpin)                                                    │   
  │Security and Users             │ │Software Repositories                                                      │   
  │Virtualization                 │ │                                                                           │   
  │Support                        │ │                                                                           │   
  │Miscellaneous                  │ │                                                                           │   
  │                               │ │                                                                           │   
  │                               │ │                                                                           │   
  └───────────────────────────────┘ └───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘   

[Help]                                                                                                    [Quit]  

which shows what you ask for… I your’s very different?

Yes! No online update :frowning: I am going to re install to see if the problem remains.
Thanks.

xupetas: There is another way to get updates with 12.1. You can

sudo zypper up

That does the same things as YaST. If you do not get any updates, then post the
output from the command.

Wait, do not decide to quick to reinstall. Reinstalling alomg the same lines will bring you the same result. That is how computers work.

When we have not the slightest idea what is wrong here we should not jump around and do unbased actyions.

@lwfingers suggestionj is very good IMHO. Let us first check if updating from the Update repo does work in another way or not.

Using zypp works perfectly…

On 12/14/2011 07:56 PM, xupetas wrote:
>
> I am going to re install to see if the problem remains.

STOP! did you do this before you began the move to 12.1?
http://tinyurl.com/3qde66h

as Henk said: if you had no errors the first install, you should expect
exactly the same system if you reinstall…

now, if you have already reinstalled try this:

-become root by this command “su -”
-open yast (NOT yast2) by typing yast
-do you have an online update now?
-if not, select “Software Management” then
-search on ‘yast’
-scroll down and find yast2-online-update, and if it is not already
installed, do so…if it is installed, mark it to update (or refresh)
i’m not sure how that will be presented…
-when the install or update is completed, then close yast and re-open
it, is the only line update visible now?

While you are apparently using a text only system, zypper is IMHO often a better tool then the ncurses interface of YaST > Software. Especialy for routine tasks like zypper patch and zypper up. Browse through

man zypper

to see what it can do for you.

But this still does not explain why your yast does not show the item :wink:

Denver: No… still the same. I already tried it :frowning:

Good suggestion by @DenverD. Check if the yast2-online-update package is installed. Parts of YaST not installed will not show in it.s menus.

On 12/14/2011 08:56 PM, xupetas wrote:
>
> Denver: No… still the same. I already tried it :frowning:

did you check your install disk??? (because it sure sounds like
a faulty install!!!

where did you get the image for your install disk?

did you do this before you began the move to 12.1?
http://tinyurl.com/3qde66h

> While you are apparently using a text only system, zypper is IMHO often
> a better tool then the ncurses interface of YaST

yes, but zypper can do only a VERY small part of the things that YaST can do

DD

On 2011-12-14 19:59, Larry Finger wrote:
> xupetas: There is another way to get updates with 12.1. You can
>
> sudo zypper up
>
> That does the same things as YaST.

No, it doesn’t. YaST online updater does the same as “zypper patch”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Sorry about beeing absent, but with the seasons aproaching i am being pressed at work to close some projects.
I know now what was the problem: I done a text only install, and it seems that in text only install only the yast core is installed. When i went nuts and installed all the yast2 packages the update was made available.

Heheh.

Merry Xmas everybody!!

Nice it is solved. :wink:

But I must say you did realy not provide any information about the special setup you have. Or did you think that having a text only system is not something you should tell when asking people for help? Some of the people here might think you made fool out of them. In any case, I must say that DenverD came closest to the solution.

Next time please do not think anybody here is clairvoyant, but tell, tell and tell more.