Yast2 in KDE

When I try to run Yast2 in KDE it fails, crashes. When I run Yast2 in konsole using text mode, it works. How do I make it work in graphical, GUI mode?

Did you add the Factory repo to your system by any chance?
Please post the output of:

zypper lr -d

It is allways nice when you tell which version of openSUSE you use.

When I run yast2 in konsole, it opens up a Yast GUI. But I suppose that depends on whether $DISPLAY is properly defined in the environment. If I undefine that, I well get the text mode (curses) yast.

I’m guessing that Wolfi323 is right about factory.

While running 3.2 Milestone 0 from the live KDE, I tried Yast from the KDE menu, and it promptly crashed. So I tried Yast at the command line (as root), and the GUI opened up and work to some extent. And Milestone0 is a recent factory snapshot.

I am using Suse 13.1. I just added that factory repo and its still giving me some error regarding a qt plugin. I thought surely everyone must be going through this but perhaps its something specific to my system?

“UI Syntax Error”???

most people do not use Factory repos. I can run YaST without any problems.

Why did you add the Factory repo now?
Do you want to run Factory, i.e. the development version of the next openSUSE?

If yes, you should remove ALL other repos and run “zypper dup” to completely switch to Factory. If you don’t do that, you might still have a mixture of packages which causes problems like this.
And there’s a problem with YaST at the moment in Factory. Remove the package “libproxy1-config-kde4” to make it work again.

If not, please REMOVE that Factory repo again! You don’t sound like you’re experienced enough for using Factory anyway (no offense meant).

Again, please post your repo list:

zypper lr -d

And please tell, what you really want to do, i.e. use Factory and beta-test openSUSE 13.2 (it’s not even beta yet), or run a stable system.

I dont feel comfortable spilling my computers guts on to the internet. Discussing too much what I have set up by way of configuration gives me the ebby gibbies, almost like selling my soul to the devil or the keys of the kingdom being held hostage by fires of hell. If you cant help me otherise, then I will just suffer in purgatory.

???
Why did you even ask here then?

My suggestion:
Remove the Factory repo again (every repo which has “Factory” in its name) and run “sudo zypper dup”.
YaST should work then again.

But as I don’t know which exact repos you have added, it might just as well break your system completely.
So, good luck! :wink:

yes burning in the flames of eternal d4nation is difficult. Anyways, I did figure out something. I did a man yast and noticed it can run under a QT or a GTK gui. So, since I was getting that QT error, I ran the following “yast --gtk” and it worked. I guess I will try to find a way to tell KDE that when I select the Yast icon in applications to run the command “yast --gtk”

I also noticed that I am running KDE 3, is there a KDE 4? I have been using GNOME for so long I am just out of sync.

Quote of the day from the book of Revelation:
I saw the beast rise from the sea, anyone that is wise will know the name of the beast by its alphanumeric code: M1CR050FT

But could you at least tell us which openSUSE version you are using?

As you use KDE3, you may not have all necessary libraries installed to run the Qt(4) version.
Install the package “libyui-qt-pkg5” (if you use openSUSE 13.1, on earlier versions something else would be needed), and it should work:

I also noticed that I am running KDE 3, is there a KDE 4? I have been using GNOME for so long I am just out of sync.

Of course there is a KDE4. Since 2008 (we’re at KDE 4.13 soon). And KDE3 is not developed anymore since 2008.

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 21:16:02 GMT
linux trojan <linux_trojan@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> I am using Suse 13.1. I just added that factory repo and its still
> giving me some error regarding a qt plugin. I thought surely everyone
> must be going through this but perhaps its something specific to my
> system?

As has already been pointed out, through adding the factory repo, you
are now adding stuff that has been built for 13.2 M0 and can (and
will) cause you all sorts of problems. The particular problem you now
have can be cured but you should really follow the advice given
elsewhere and remove the factory repo.

What I’d do in your situation is stick your 13.1 installation medium
back in the machine and update your system. Be careful with this as its
default is to remove most of your repos so you’ll need to tick the
appropriate boxes to prevent their deletion - apart from any factory
repos, of course, which you should allow to be removed.

For info, the problem in 13.2-m0 is listed here:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=866692

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.2-m0 (64-bit); KDE 4.12.2; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Kernel: 3.14.0-rc5; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)