Yast grub resolutions

Since Yast>System>Boot Loader>Kernel Parameters can autodetect my console resolution, why does it offer me choices with unusable aspect ratios? It always sets the highest resolution which on a notebook screen requires magnifying glasses to read. Yes there’s always xradr which reports

:~> xrandr
No protocol specified
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1920x1080     77.00* 

thus making changes more complicated. Is there not a utility that detects the resolution and offers choices for the correct aspect ration?

It detects what resolutions are claimed to be supported by your video BIOS. Failing that it simply offers the list of standard VESA modes.

why does it offer me choices with unusable aspect ratios?

Because it cannot read your mind?

It always sets the highest resolution which on a notebook screen requires magnifying glasses to read.

And how is yast supposed to know it? It offers you choices, does not it? So choose what is right for you.

Yes there’s always xradr which reports

:~> xrandr
No protocol specified
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1920x1080     77.00* 

thus making changes more complicated.

I cannot parse it at all. I do not understand what you are trying to say here and how it is related to YaST bootloader module. Can you elaborate?

Let me explain it differently. When I installed 15.3 XFCE on my new notebook and booted I was presented with a screen with names that were hard to read without magnifying glasses. The resolution was set to 1920 x 1080 (16:9). Using the XFCE menu and the Setting>Display option I tried to change the resolution. But it would not allow me to do that. That’s why I tried to set it using grub. The grub configuration in YaST defaulted to 1920 x 1080 and offered several options, all of them with a 5:4 aspect ratio. I tried two. All my images were distorted…too wide. So I thought that if grub recognises my screen uses a 16:9 aspect ratio why would it offer 5.4 options and not other 16:9 configurations? So now my question. Is there a utility that recognises my screen and offers 16:9 resolution options? I thought that xradr would do that but my previous post indicates it does not.

What is the output of

sudo hwinfo --framebuffer

I suspect the kernel boot parameter is forcing to boot on a different resolution.
can you post the vga= “something” in the kernel parameter.

Hi
I use the following grub boot kernel options;

vconsole.font=ter-v32b video=1920x1080@60

I also set in vconsole.conf;

cat /etc/vconsole.conf

KEYMAP=us
FONT=ter-v32b
FONT_MAP=
FONT_UNIMAP=

You need to install terminus-bitmap-fonts package.

I have an idea for you to try, since I don’t remember how I got where I am. I only use Grub2 on UEFI systems, and, with an exception for my Mac, only one instance per PC, and I only did it the first time, cloning disks for the others. I have only these Grub packages installed:

• grub2
  • grub2-i386-pc
  • grub2-x86_64-efi
    ]ruby3.1-rubygem-cfa_grub2
    My Grub menu virtually fills the screen with text only, nothing graphical. The text is pretty big, same text the BIOS uses I think. If you have grub2-branding-
    installed, remove. I expect that will remove graphics from your Grub and fill your screen too. I believe what you’re seeing is a (green? GUI?) screen with Grub’s menu confined to a small rectangle in the center, full of mousetype, which is what my Mac’s openSUSE Grub does. If this doesn’t work, try disabling the BIOS graphical boot screen so that only text is observed during POST. Grub2 is programmed to enable that screen to be imported for its own use.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I found a simpler solution. I wanted to try KDE Plasma to replace XFCE which I have been using on older and slower computers. I installed it on my new, faster notebook. In Application Launcher>System Settings>Hardware>Display and Monitor (which defaults to 1920 x 1080) there is a “Global Scale” which I set to 150% and rebooted.

Perfect display now. Sorry to have taken up your time without experimenting on my own.