XRDP - KDE vs XFCE

I have installed the xrdp package on leap 15.5. When I connect to the machine via RDP, I am presented with a desktop with XFCE rather than KDE.

1. Why is it showing an XFCE desktop (I don’t have that DE installed - well, at least I didn’t install it knowingly).

2. How can I change it to show the KDE DE? There is no option I can see to do so.

Old article but I think it still is applicable:

Thanks Marel, but unfortunately it didn’t work. RDP still showing xfce :frowning:

Okay, here a more recent thread with more suggestions:

If anything works, please report it back here :wink:

It will load whatever desktop it is told to load in your home folder. Just google change default wm for opensuse then change the default window manager in the host system. Then just RDP in as usual…

If you need to know what file to change let me know and I will look when I am back home.

It’s actually loading the “Ice” Window Manager - which is definitely NOT my default ! I have Googled around, but if you could kindly let me know what file change works for you, that would be great, thanks.

Change your /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh file to this and make sure it is executable with chmod +x:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -r /etc/default/locale ]; then
. /etc/default/locale
export LANG LANGUAGE
fi
#window manager commands
startxfce4
#startfluxbox

exit(0)

Thanks vukodlak.

It turned out that changing the SESSION entry in /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh did the trick:

SESSION=“plasma”

Now RDP sessions are loading KDE.