X and/or kwin crash every day

Hi, so X and/or kwin are crashing on a daily basis. Could anyone provide guidance on clearing out caches or other files? my laptop is asus ux305ca with Core m3-6y30 and intel graphics. At a guess this started about 8 weeks or so ago.

Try to uninstall the intel Xorg driver, package xf86-video-intel.

I doubt that caches could cause regular crashes, but if you want to try, delete the folder ~/.cache/.

An easier (and more reliable) way to check if it’s related to some user files/settings is to try on a fresh user account though, not trying to delete random things…

thanks,
so I have done what you say - but could you explain a little. I thought i was already using modesetting by passing i915.modeset=1 to grub (enabled years ago to solve tiny console fonts on hi dpi screen i think).
[resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent quiet showopts i915.modeset=1 libata.force=noncq plymouth.enable=0 zswap.enabled=1]

now that i have deleted xf86-video-intel several apps are ‘uglyfied’ (dolphin, kwallet dialouge, yast menu) i now have tiny yast icons, column widths incorrect, super thin screen scroll bars etc - any general hint as to what configs to change (i dont understand how changing the video driver would change screen defaults)?

PS i was fishing through journalctl and found
/usr/lib/X11/display-manager: line 132: type: console_vars: not found
/usr/lib/X11/display-manager: line 132: type: default-displaymanager_vars: not found

i found nothing on google and the dm script is above my head, are these messages anything out of the ordinary?

That just turns on kernel modesetting for the i915 kernel module, but is unnecessary as KMS is enabled by default and that only supports kernel modesettings anyway (i.e. disabling kernel modesetting would also disable the i915 kernel module).
It has no influence on the used graphics driver though, except that neither “modesetting” or “intel” can be used without KMS. I.e. “nomodeset” or “i915.modeset=0” would force a fall back to the generic fbdev or vesa drivers.

There’s absolutely no point in having that, although IIRC it was necessary years ago on some systems to actually enable the i915 kernel module…

now that i have deleted xf86-video-intel several apps are ‘uglyfied’ (dolphin, kwallet dialouge, yast menu) i now have tiny yast icons, column widths incorrect, super thin screen scroll bars etc

Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

• any general hint as to what configs to change (i dont understand how changing the video driver would change screen defaults)?

Of course it can, the display resultion (and things like DPI) are determined by the video driver of course.
(unless you change them explicitly)

PS i was fishing through journalctl and found
/usr/lib/X11/display-manager: line 132: type: console_vars: not found
/usr/lib/X11/display-manager: line 132: type: default-displaymanager_vars: not found

i found nothing on google and the dm script is above my head, are these messages anything out of the ordinary?

Never seen anything like this.
But I don’t use Tumbleweed.

The message is because console_vars and default-displaymanager_vars are not defined.
The former is normal (console is just empty), the latter might indicate that your default displaymanager is set wrong. update-alternatives should help here.

Definitely unrelated to your current problems though.