Wrong password

Hello Sirs;

I created a second non root account, and went into YAST and changed the root password,
Now when i log in as the secondary account and try to launch super user apps it requires the old root password…
It doesn’t register the new root password…

loging in as root needs the new root password but the secondary is still stuck requiring the old password…and the old password launches super user apps.

Also i was getting hacked and looked under YAST “Firewall” and found SUSE doesn’t auto launch the firewall i had to turn firewall on manually…Hopefully that will end my hacking problems…

I’m not a hacker or sys admin, i’m just and average joe, so i don’t know all the steps it requires to make a secure box…

Hmmm the firewall should be on by default.

You may need a reboot to propagate the root password maybe???

If you were hacked don’t trust the system reinstall

That’s what i was thinking , that i need to re-install…

Someone needs to write an online e-book called “SUSE LEAP for dummies” , That goes from install to finished setting it up.
Detailing all the YAST stuff to properly configure a Linux Box, for your needs. For the average Joe that’s not a computer guru.

I’ve already installed 3 times…
And if you disconnect the ethernet cable when installing , the package manager will request the CD after that , and refuse to download from the internet…
So you have to have the ethernet connected during install for SUSE to download from the internet.
and it doesn’t launch the firewall during install , so i got hacked the minute i logged on as root , before i could set up a secondary account and configure the OS.

The install stuff should ask you to configure a root account and at least 1 secondary account to use when your connected to the internet.
and the auto-login should automatically log you into the secondary account.

The SUSE Coders need to make it so the app that makes the IP packets , can be setup to not packet filesystem data, if you have remote logins disabled…
If your not logging in remotely then there’s no reason to packet filesystem data. The hackers would have to know the filesystem and location and names of files.

I live in an apartment and all 62 units have COX 100MBS ethernet built into the wall…So the hacking is coming from one of the other apartments i think…

This is incorrect, Leap by default enables Firewall. You have to manually disable it during the installation for it not to.

The install DOES ask you to create another user apart from root - you have checkmarked not to do so during install.

Things change too fast for a book to be useful. But openSUSE follows general Linux principles so any Linux territorial might help

Just remove the CD/DVD entry in the repos management in yast to stop it asking. Remember most settings and setup is in Yast

The firewall should be on by default don’t know why yours is not

A basic guide here
http://opensuse-guide.org/

More detailed information can be found here
https://doc.opensuse.org/

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 20:36:01 +0000, Albert Redditt wrote:

> So you have to have the ethernet connected during install for SUSE to
> download from the internet.
> and it doesn’t launch the firewall during install , so i got hacked the
> minute i logged on as root , before i could set up a secondary account
> and configure the OS.

As I recall, you’ve made this claim before, but have presented zero
evidence that this is happening.

Supposition doesn’t help with troubleshooting. If you have evidence that
the system was hacked during or just after installation, (a) confirm
where you downloaded the software from, (b) provide the evidence that
this happened, and (c) open a ticket in bugzilla so the issue can be
fixed.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Tip: I never allow the updates to run when installing. Seen problems sometimes when doing that. Instead, I always install disconnected, then once openSUSE is running, I run the updates afterwards. This has led to flawless installs since I started doing that.

and it doesn’t launch the firewall during install

The installer sets it automatically to turn on. It only changes it if you change the state in the summary screen. If you did not do that, then it would be on.

I got hacked the minute i logged on as root

That seems unlikely, but I cannot honestly say it is impossible.

The install stuff should ask you to configure a root account and at least 1 secondary account to use

Although it defaults to a shared password, the installer offers you that option. And, it always creates a second User account. It just defaults to allow you to use the root password for both, which you can change during install (the smartest choice, IMHO), or after install.

and the auto-login should automatically log you into the secondary account

… which it does.

I live in an apartment and all 62 units have COX 100MBS ethernet built into the wall…So the hacking is coming from one of the other apartments i think…

A very good reason to install without connecting to the internet, setting up the firewall, checking your Security … all before connecting to that network.

… and, yes, I recall this. My end opinion on that was that this is actually a troll.:wink:

I’m new to Linux , I’m not a troll…I know a little about programming, i do all my programming in FreeBASIC. I’m not schooled in C , C++

The second time i installed i did so with the WI-FI and Ethernet disabled, and i configured the OS and then went into "YAST > Software Manager , and it would not download software from the internet it kept asking for the CD/DVD to be inserted.

And it apparently stores the root password on the install CD/DVD and you have to to use that same password to re-install… (so you can’t reinstall with a different password.)

I’ll try to reinstall with internet disabled , yet again , but you guys will have to tell my how to get Software Manager to point to the internet instead of the Install CD/DVD.

All i know about source code is to type ./configure , make , make install…seems to work for most programs…

I downloaded a sound recorder called Audacity and it required a libmp3lame.so. to export to mp3 format so i downloaded the lame lib. i couldn’t figure out how to compile it though , it needs a lib with “dlopen” in it , so it would not compile with the normal ./configure , make , make install ?

Also when rebooting , sometimes the logo with the 3 progressing circles doesn’t show up, its just a blank screen with three little rectangles in the center that progress, and the picture logo doesn’t show up…

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 23:26:01 +0000, Albert Redditt wrote:

> And it apparently stores the root password on the install CD/DVD and you
> have to to use that same password to re-install… (so you can’t
> reinstall with a different password.)

It doesn’t. CD/DVD media are generally read-only, and if it’s being
written, it’s not like writing to a hard drive - you, the user, have to
specifically run specific software to get it to write to the media. This
is not something that happens accidentally - you have to be very
intentional about doing it, and with ISO media specifically, you don’t
generally add to an existing image - you burn starting with a blank disc
each time.

UDF (the other main format for CD/DVD media) isn’t what the ISO you
downloaded uses, so unless you’re using someone else’s custom built image
designed specifically to run from UDF media (which I’ve never actually
seen), what you describe simply cannot happen.

> I’ll try to reinstall with internet disabled , yet again , but you guys
> will have to tell my how to get Software Manager to point to the
> internet instead of the Install CD/DVD.

Remove the CD/DVD from the repository lists. Yast -> Software
Repositories. Remove the physical media from the list or disable it.

> All i know about source code is to type ./configure , make , make
> install…seems to work for most programs…

Actually, before downloading code and trying to build it, check the repos
to see if it’s in there.

> I downloaded a sound recorder called Audacity and it required a
> libmp3lame.so. to export to mp3 format so i downloaded the lame lib. i
> couldn’t figure out how to compile it though , it needs a lib with
> “dlopen” in it , so it would not compile with the normal ./configure ,
> make , make install ?

Follow the sticky in the multimedia forum and add the Packman repos.
Then install from the repositories.

For most normal users, building from source is generally not required.

> Also when rebooting , sometimes the logo with the 3 progressing circles
> doesn’t show up, its just a blank screen with three little rectangles in
> the center that progress, and the picture logo doesn’t show up…

That could be a video driver issue. Ask in the hardware forum and
provide some detail about what hardware you’re using.

But none of this points at all to your system being ‘hacked’ - so leave
that supposition as to that being the source of your problems at the
door, and focus on what we do know. “It doesn’t work the way I think it
should” is not the same as “my system was hacked”.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C