writing in ntfs from latest opensuse

Hi so far i have fount these two ways for writing in ntfs partition.
start [www.linux-ntfs.org]
and
NTFS-3G: Stable Read/Write NTFS Driver

Have u ever tried them? Which one seems to be the most stable?
I am thinking of installing the latest 11.2 opensuse.

ntfs-3g is installed by default.

Follow this guide:
HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE 10, 11

I try to avoid to use NTFS on disks and flash drives.

Why do u avoid using ntfs for hard drives? Is not the driver not that stable?
I really need something stable enough to read and write on ntfs partitions.

NTFS is a windows file system. Linux users may not even have windows so why would they want a cluncky old file system with fragmentation issues.

If you have windows and you need to read / write to it from Linux, you can, and openSUSE should have installed ntfs-3g by default. All you then need to do is edit the file /etc/fstab as shown in the link I gave you. That will enable you write permissions.

Thanks… i am asking because i need to make my computer dual boot. I am running windows 7 and soon i ll be running and opensuse 11.2 :slight_smile:

I need some stable way to read and write files so to share one common partition for my documents.

My first thought was to use a windows 7 programme that can read ext4 fs. Unfortunately most of the known programmes do not run under windows 7 or they do not support ext4.

So i dont want to try it that way because i think it is so unstable and will lead to data losses.

My next thought was about using ntfs because the ntfs support is more stable as it is 3 years implemented so most of the problems must be now fixed.

The driver ntfs-3g is very well developed and tested.
The other driver is not so well developed, e.g. have a look at the date for “latest news” on the home page.

I recommend sticking with ntfs-3g because of (a) the advanced development and of (b) it’s careful integration by openSUSE developers with the openSUSE distro

My gear has never seen any windows. Thats the reason, why i would never use NTFS on harddisks or flashdrives.

It is very easy to add write capabilities, in addition to read, to NTFS partitions.

The guidance is here:
NTFS - openSUSE
… where that link is also in our new users stickie …

In essence one just changes inside the /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1 /windows/C ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0to/dev/sda1 /windows/C ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,fmask=113,dmask=002,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
where the above is just an example, and one has to apply as appropriate to their own PC

You made your point, twice now. But this is a request for help for someone who needs to use NTFS. ****