Wow, Gnome 2.28 is amazing!!!

Kongrats to the Gnome folk.

Think what you will and say what you want about Gnome, but it works more of the time than KDE, period.

I have the exact opposite of that. KDE works more of the time than GNOME, period…

See how easy such claims fail? Why? Because one can’t really argue with a personal preference and something that works flawlessly for the person itself. Unless you offer something vastly superior to what one currently uses and successfully show the user why he should choose it and how it is superior over his current choice (which GNOME isn’t nor is it KDE looking from an avid GNOME user’s eyes), you can’t really argue with a personal preference. Even if you successfully argue there is no guarantee the user will pick your offer, even if it may be much better

The original thread began with an obvious sarcastic remark about Gnome, but I realize in general a gui is nothing more, nothing less than a front-end, but for this Vostro laptop I am using, Gnome has better drivers; KDE simply does not; who knows why this is.

At the risk of my grinding an axe :slight_smile: … I assume you mean KDE4 and not KDE3. An amazing number of users in complaints about KDE4 say just “KDE” when in fact they mean “KDE4”, … as if KDE3 never exisited. :rolleyes:

Now, reference KDE4, I note KDE4 is struggling with its default network manager for wireless, while from what I have read, Gnome does not have that problem. BUT I also note wicd works reasonably well for KDE4 for wireless management and its installation is easy. So given wicd works so well then it (wireless) is likely not a factor … and wireless management “just works” for KDE3 on the PCs I use.

Like many, I have my own preferences as to a desktop, but other than some gentle humour, I no longer see the need to put one down given there are many others … the choice of desktops is great … < note: you should hear me curse when I struggle with the WinXP GUI >

The beauty of Linux is it is full of choice, especially in desktops. In addition to Gnome, there is KDE3, KDE4, LXDE, XFCE, Enlightenment, … etc …

KDE 3.x is good, but still it needs work with its wireless drivers and bluetooth.

I’ve never had a problem with wireless under KDE3. I have had problems under Gnome with same hardware. This is incredibly subjective.