WOL not working with RTL8111/8168/8411 with 6.2.x kernel

Suspend / resume utilizing WOL (wake-on-LAN) stopped working when Tumbleweed went from 6.1.x kernels to 6.2.x kernels. It worked great until then for a long time. Ethernet interface still tells that wake-on-LAN is enabled like before (setting is defined in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0). When machine is suspends, ethernet adapter shuts down completely. Machine wakes up from suspend by pressing power button.

$ ethtool eth0 | grep -i wake
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
$ lspci  | grep -i ethernet
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)

How to resolve this issue? I didn’t find anything decent referring WOL issues with 6.x kernels.

When you can prove that it works in the 6.1 kernel and not in the 6.2 without any other changes done, it is worth a bug report IMO.

I can see from logs that nightly backups resumed that machine neatly with 6.1.12 kernel, but no longer with 6.2.0 and later kernels up and including to 6.2.6. There is nothing unusual logged into system journal as fas as I can tell.

I guess the is no longer a way back to 6.1.x kernels…

When you can assure in the bug report that it worked earlier and now it doesn’t anymore without you changing anything in the procedures, that should be sufficient.

I am using WOL, but do not run Tumbleweed, so I can not test it to confirm your problem.

I haven’t changed any procedures myself. Tumbleweed updates have done all changes. I have also few other machines with different ethernet cards, where WOL still works with 6.2.x kernels.

To where should I report this bug?

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/
Same username/pwd like forum…

I submitted a bug Bug 1209526 – WOL not working with RTL8111/8168/8411 with 6.2.x kernel

Thanks for posting the link!

WOL works again with Tumbleweed’s 6.3.1 kernel.

Fine. Thanks for reporting this back.