lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
virbr0 no wireless extensions.
virbr0-nic no wireless extensions.
I see no errors in the journal, other than the virbr0 interface not connecting. Nothing about wireless whatsoever. Sometimes the wifi will be recognized, but NetworkManeger will be unable to establish a connection, it just sits on “configuring interface” forever. I have not yet examined the journal after this issue presents itself, I will once it happens again. After a reboot, it usually gets recognized and works fine. Advice for narrowing down this issue?
Good question about the microcode. From what I understand this is pretty basic:
dmesg | grep microcode
0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0xd6, date = 2020-04-27
1.563046] microcode: sig=0x906ea, pf=0x20, revision=0xd6
1.563221] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.
Is there a microcode package for openSUSE? Searching microcode comes up empty. There is only one version of kernel-firmware and ucode that I can see.
Restarting network has no effect, it still doesn’t recognize wlan. Of course, it’s functional at the moment, so I’ll have to wait for the next failure to troubleshoot further. I tried restarting network and NetworkManeger in both versions of the failed state, missing or not connecting issues. It made no difference.
As a result of this update, several Fn keys no longer work, and this issue with the wifi has since presented itself, so it may indeed be an issue with the bios update. The kernel from the kernel:stable repo did not resolve the broken keys problem, and I suspect it won’t fix the wifi issue either if the bios is indeed the culprit, but I’ll give it a shot.
I tried the latest kernel from the kernel:stable repo, along with the latest firmware. No difference, I still got no wlan0 interface every now and then. I’m back on the LEAP kernel now. I did just have a recurrence of the issue where network manager will try to connect to my wifi router, and fails, repeatedly. I’m unsure as to why this is occurring, the logs don’t show anything useful:
I says it successfully associated, then a few lines later says it’s associating again, then it disconnects. NetworkManager displayed a notification stating no secrets were provided. I’m not sure why this would only be happening intermittently, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. It usually connects successfully upon reboot. Sometimes this issue occurs, and sometimes wlan0 interface is gone completely as mentioned previously.
I will check this on the next recurrence of the problem. From further internet surfing, the hanging on associating problem may be an issue with NM and the Atheros driver. Maybe I should just swap the wifi card to an intel card. Might be worth it. I tried using wicked briefly, and it does establish a connection much faster than NM does (compared to successful NM association). Too bad there is no GUI for it. This is a laptop, so using wicked as my default might get a bit cumbersome at times. I will update this thread when the info is available.