Wish to autostart in GNOME but not KDE

Howy,

I’m a KDE fan giving GNOME Shell a try, and I find I like it better with a dock. The one in GNOME Shell extensions is still primitive, so I installed Cairo and set it to start automatically, but then I found it starting in KDE too, where I prefer the Plasma Panel. So I disabled it for autostart and checked “Restore Programs” in the Startup Manager instead, but that didn’t do the trick. Now I’m thinking that instead of an autostart entry for Cairo dock, I should have one for a script that says, “IF running GNOME, THEN launch Cairo, ELSE leave well enough alone.” Can anyone here tell me how to do that? I’ve never written a script, but I figure the internet can help me with the basics; the piece I’ll need is a way to check whether I’m in GNOME. If anyone can tell me that, thank you. -GEF

It’s much easier than that. Open the desktop file for this app in ~/.config/autostart and add these two lines:

NotShowIn=KDE;
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

The second line might be already there.

Actually, the translation of “IF running GNOME, THEN launch Cairo, ELSE leave well enough alone.” in freedesktop language woud be:

OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

which is possible too - and comes to the same if you only care about Gnome and Kde.

Thanks, tried it the first way and it works great, but I think I’ll switch to the second against the possibility that I take other DE’s for a test drive in the future. -GEF

Very nice. Do you happen to know an equally good trick for menus? So that GNOME doesn’t show all those apps that start with the letter K, without erasing them from KDE?

K programs will run fine in gnome. Why get rid of them?

For a few reasons:

1. Learning my way around GNOME including its “app ecosystem” is the goal of the project. I want to give it a fair shake.
  2. So far I’m unimpressed by the menu that abandons tree structure in favor of a cellphone-style appdrawer. Hiding all those KDE apps will improve its useability.
  3. They don’t look right, merging the color scheme from my KDE desktop into the one for GNOME, and I fancy they’re sometimes sluggish to start.

GEF

Don’t use Gnome but in KDE you can select the old menu style I to hate the NEW way it requires many more clicks. Also you should be able to edit the menu again in KDE you right click and select edit. You can then add remove what you want. No idea if the can be done in gnome.

On 09/04/2011 08:56 PM, gfagan wrote:
> 1) Learning my way around GNOME including its “app ecosystem” is the
> goal of the project. I want to give it a fair shake.

i suggest to give GNOME “a fair shake”, you should install it (and it
alone) on a test partition (and avoid all the problems that can arise
from having multiple desktops using the same /home and /.

otherwise, you will never see a pure GNOME (or KDE, or LXDE, or Xfce,
or or or …) to compare to another DE…

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

Kinda wish I’d asked for advice before I started, DD. -GEF