Wirless Adapters for the Newbie

Hello,

I would like to know how i can configure my wireless card built into my laptop, i love the look and feel of the new suse 11.0 just having no luck getting it to install or even find my wireless card.

The laptop is an ACER Aspire 5310, which is based on the intel chipset, with an Atheros based wireless card.

I have looked around these forums and also on the google site although having no luck,

sadly i need a step by step instructions on how to install Madwifi, when ever i try to install software from CD/DVD it always wants to connect to the internet and obviously thats why i need the wireless card working.

Now i found Madwifi and i understand how it works although im not up on the Compliling business side of things.

Can someone please tell me step by step how to config my wireless card using Suse 11.0, please.

Is there somewhere i can get a MadWifi RPM. or something which will do it automatically as i put the disk in, like with windows drivers?

I used a ultility on ubuntu once which allowed you to install windows drivers? is this possible on this version of suse?

i am posting from a windows machine at the moment, :frowning:

Kind Regards
Martyn

Hello, All

I can now find/detect my Wireless card in Yast2, im using KDE 3.5 desktop.

Although its not configured, it says its unable to be configured due to missing firmware or files, i assume in english means drivers.

I have managed to install ndiswrapper, although can not find how to lanuch it, ie where to click, can someone tell me where this shortcut would be located or where the program is installed to so i can click its executable?

Help pleaseā€¦

ndiswrapper is a command-line program. unless you installed the ndis-gui. here are most of the command-line commands for ndiswrapper.You will have to open a console & then su to root to perform the commands

install/manage Windows drivers for ndiswrapper

usage: ndiswrapper OPTION
-i inffile       install driver described by 'inffile'
-a devid driver  use installed 'driver' for 'devid' (dangerous)
-r driver        remove 'driver'
-l               list installed drivers
-m               write configuration for modprobe
-ma              write module alias configuration for all devices
-mi              write module install configuration for all devices
-v               report version information

where 'devid' is either PCIID or USBID of the form XXXX:XXXX,
as reported by 'lspci -n' or 'lsusb' for the card

Andy