Wireless won't connect (broadcom BCM94311MCG)

Hi,

Since some weeks, I can’t connect to any wireless network any more (with or without security). knetworkmanager sees all the networks though and it starts to connect but can’t finish them.

I’ve allready reinstalled the broadcom drivers and Networkmanager but nothing worked.

I’m on opensuse 11.0 and using knetworkmanager 0.7 for kde 3.5.9

Does someone have an idea whats wrong?

there are some strange things in dmesg:

b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)                                                                                               
Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx                                                                                                                             
Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx                                                                                                                             
Registered led device: b43-phy0::radio                                                                                                                          
b43-phy0: Radio turned on by software                                                                                                                           
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready                                                                                                                   
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:15:e9:63:65:5c                                                                                                                   
wlan0: authentication with AP 00:15:e9:63:65:5c timed out                                                                                                       
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready                                                                                                                    
input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input9                                                                                                                
b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)                                                                                               
Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx                                                                                                                             
Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx                                                                                                                             
Registered led device: b43-phy0::radio                                                                                                                          
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready                                                                                                                   
wlan0: authentication with AP 00:15:e9:63:65:5c timed out                                                                                                       
eth0: Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None       

You will probably need to use ndiswrapper. The b43 driver works somewhat and sometimes for a limited number of broadcom cards. You will need to unload the b43 driver before using the ndiswrapper one.

I have a recent, mildly amusing, anecdote about that. I had installed a network card in a family member’s computer that runs Windows. The card did not work well, constantly failing to establish a connection or dropping connections. I then installed the same card on a computer running OpenSuse 11.0 and, with ndiswrapper, using the same Windows driver it works perfectly fine.

Ok I’ll try ndiswrapper, but why did it work before without any problems? It worked for some months until some weeks ago.

I have that exact same card, and you should NOT have to use
ndiswrapper.

Based solely on your ‘dmesg’ output, I question why both
wlan0 and eth0 (wired adapter) show activity, and am
guessing that presence of eth0 is confusing ‘route’.

So, go into Yast - network devices - network settings and
setup eth0 so it activates ONLY when ethernet-cable is plugged in
(and then remove any ethernet cable) and see if that
helps.

[Also, make sure you are up-to-date on patches.]

I changed the settings in yast but this doesn’t help.

I tried to activate the wireless connection manually but that didn’t work.

I get an timeout when running dhcpcd.