Wireless randomly connects

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron with Intel 3945. It works… when it works, but it’s a pain in the as* to make it connect, usually takes a few attempts and multiple programs: KNetworkManager, ifup/ifdown, KInternet, Kwlan, WPA_GUI. I try one, it doesn’t connect, I try another, then another, then another, then maybe the first one. But at the end it connects and when it does it works fine. In 10.3 it worked flawlessly, so these issues are ver. 11 related, not hardware. I’m wondering if you could give me some tips if you know how to make it works/connect better, from the first time with either KNetworkManager or ifup/ifdown, I’d really appreciate it.

BTW, Kwlan always gives me errors about wpa or iwconfig which can’t be started. KInternet doesn’t see any networks when scanning but then sometimes just connects. WPA_GUI simply doesn’t do anything but then my wireless connects all of a sudden after pressing some buttons. And KNetwork manager can either connect with wired or some times with wireless. Ah, and the KInternet doesn’t have a wired interface, only wlan0 (I’ve already askedin another forum how to add a eth0 to it).

So far, ifup/ifdown works a bit better than KNM.

I’d appreciate your help. Thanks.

And how can I stop kWlan complaining that wpa_supplicant cannot be started? How can I start it? I tried selecting the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf in KWlan WPA Settings but it doesn’t make any difference.

Thanks.

I’ve also tried this:
/usr/sbin # wpa_supplicant -Diwl -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

It says:
Unsupported driver ‘iwl’

Anyone please?