Wireless network just keeps asking for WEP.

Hey everyone, so last night I purchased a Samsung N120 netbook from best buy. I decided I want to run SLES11 on it, well I tried the bootable USB thing using Unetbootin. That didn’t work so I went out and just bought an external USB CD/DVD Drive. Installed suse fine and everything is good except for that when I go to connect to my wireless network here at home I go to enter in the WEP and then it looks like it is trying to connect but then just prompts me back to the window to enter in the WEP again and so on. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I can connect when I’m hardlined just fine but I really need the wireless for the house. Thanks in advance for any help. It is very much appreciated.

bump anyone

You should be able to save the WEP password in the Gnome Keyring. If you don’t do it that way you’ll have to keep typing it in. Unless you use Yast and set it to manage your network through the traditional method (ifup I belief but can’t check). This way you can enter everything and it will do it for you. Problem is that you will not have a network strenght measure nor a easy way to switch networks. Hope it helps.

AMD Skwerl adjusted his/her AFDB on Saturday 15 Aug 2009 00:36 to write:

>
> bump anyone
>
>

You wight try the SLES groups, got more chance of an answer there these are
for OpenSuSE.

HTH

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum

Dexter1979 wrote:
> You should be able to save the WEP password in the Gnome Keyring. If you
> don’t do it that way you’ll have to keep typing it in. Unless you use
> Yast and set it to manage your network through the traditional method
> (ifup I belief but can’t check). This way you can enter everything and
> it will do it for you. Problem is that you will not have a network
> strenght measure nor a easy way to switch networks. Hope it helps.

Are you using the WEP passphrase or the key?

I’m using a key. 128-bit

Thank you, I shall try that.

But even regardless to using the Gnome keyring shouldn’t I be able to connect by just entering in my 128-bit key manually?

> You wight try the SLES groups

try them?
SLES comes with 60 days support!!
http://www.novell.com/products/server/eval.html

but, i wonder why he decided to run server on his new netbook…

wireless even!

goldie

Yes you should so this means it is not taking your key.

I did some googling and found this article. It seems MSI Wind users have a similar problem with SLES 10. I realise it’s not the same SLES version but there might be a bug that is causing the same problem and the solution might well be the same. Check it out: Wind (Linux ver) WLAN connection issue

I can also recommend changing your wifi security to WPA. This is more secure and might have less problems with SLES.