Wine app runs on Arch Linux but crashes on openSUSE

I’m using Samsung J2ME Mobile for my J2ME projects. I used to use it on my older laptop running on Wine and (native) Netbeans, but on my new laptop the application doesn’t work. It does runs and open KToolbar well, but everything else (prefs.exe, utils.exe and emulator.exe) just crashes with no error popup. Although this prints on terminal:

015c:err:d3d:wined3d_context_gl_update_window Failed to get a device context for window 00FF9AB

I first thought it was a Wine regression, but i’ve later found out it still runs on my older laptop with Arch Linux on Wine 9.8. So i assume something is borked on openSUSE or on AMD open driver. I’ve not found a working Wine workaround, and still, i would like to fix it from the root of the issue since this may be found in other applications aswell. While regression testing i’ve used Arch Linux container to compile Wine and the problem was still there, so it’s not a issue on openSUSE’s Wine build.

I’ve open a thread on WineHQ: Samsung J2ME SDK runs on Arch Linux (Intel) but crashes on openSUSE (AMD) - WineHQ Forums

These are my hardware specs:

New laptop:

$ neofetch
              _aaaymQQmwaaa,                 joseskvolpe@ProtoFOX 
          ,wWQQQD????????$QQQQa,.            -------------------- 
       _wQQB?"              ??QQQa,          OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed-Slowroll x86_64 
     sQQD^                      ?QQ6\        Host: Nitro AN515-47 V1.14 
    yWW'                          4QQg       Kernel: 6.9.7-1-default 
  ,QQD          .aaaaaaaa          ^4Q6      Uptime: 15 hours, 56 mins 
 ,mQP        _wWQW?????YWWQa,        4Qm     Packages: 3662 (rpm), 55 (flatpak) 
 jQ@        wWW?'        ^4QQc       ^$QL    Shell: bash 5.2.26 
,QQ'       jWW'            )QW\       ]QQ    Resolution: 1920x1080 
|QQ       ,QW'              ]QQ       ^QQ|   DE: Plasma 6.0.5 
|QQ       |QQ               ]QQ        QQ|   WM: kwin 
|QQ        4Qg              ]QQ       .QQ|   Theme: [Plasma], X-Vulpus-DarkRed [GTK2/3] 
'QQ6       '$WQac.         _QQ(       jQQ    Icons: [Plasma], Vulpinity [GTK2/3] 
 ]QQw        "?QWQQf      _mQP       ,QQ(    Terminal: yakuake 
  4QQga                  wQQP       ,mQ?     CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7535HS with Radeon Graphics (12) @ 4.603GHz 
   4QQQga,            saQWP'       jQQf      GPU: AMD ATI Radeon 680M 
    ?QQQQQQwaaaaaaaayWWW?'       _mQ@'       GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile 
      ?WQQQP?9VWUV???^        _amQP^         Memory: 11528MiB / 15171MiB 
        "4QQQaa,          ,awQQQ?^
           "?VQQQQQQQQQQQQQQP?'                                      
                                                                     

Older laptop:

$ neofetch
                   -`                    joseskvolpe@RaposoPC
                  .o+`                   --------------------
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64
                `+oooo:                  Host: Aspire ES1-572 V1.18
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 6.6.31-1-lts
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 3 mins
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1938 (pacman), 1 (rpm), 100 (flatpak)
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.2.26
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1366x768
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Plasma 6.0.4
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: kwin
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: GlowFreeze-Red
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: [Plasma], X-Vulpus-DarkRed [GTK2/3]
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Vulpinity-debug [Plasma], Vulpinity-debug [GTK2/3]
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: yakuake
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: Intel i3-7100U (4) @ 2.400GHz
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 1801MiB / 15865MiB
 .`                                 `/


I’ve uninstalled NVIDIA driver for testing, but there was no change, still broken. I’ve also tried using IceWM with X11, no change too.

Got it working, great OwO

I decided to give attention to the error

Before i thought that was something more generic, but i noticed the older laptop wasn’t displaying this. Since it is related to hostname IP, i considered the possibility that the application is trying to access the local IP registered (for the protocols associated to the WTK) in the operating system but failing since the operating system isn’t returning it for some reason. I’ve found in another thread i have to adjust /etc/host.

So i went to /etc/hosts, openSUSE added this line by default

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain    localhost

“localhost” was the default hostname that came with the installation, when i changed it to “ProtoFOX” it hasn’t updated in the file, so i edited this line to my hostname

127.0.0.1       ProtoFOX.localdomain    ProtoFOX

Then i ran winecfg, the error is gone. Next, i’ve ran the application, trying prefs.exe, no crash, it’s working now yay. Great. :3

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.