Wine and 32-bit codec support

VideoLan repo does not have 32 bit packages versions, which are necessary for wine so we’ll have some bad combination of ffmpeg libraries from repo-oss and VideoLan.

Hi Aleksey

I moved this to a dedicated topic, as it might help with a more focused discussion around this. I’m not a gamer, and although I do have wine installed, I don’t really use it. Hopefully, others can chime in with further info/ideas here.

As you’re aware Wine can be installed as a Flatpak, but I know some users still have preferences for native package installations.

Wine’s WoW64 architecture has changed the situation around 32-bit support, so this might help mitigate the need for native 32-bit codec libraries?

32-bit Windows app > 32-bit Wine/PE code > WoW64 thunking layer > 64-bit Wine/Linux libraries

There is a gstreamer-plugins-libav package which provides GStreamer integration with 64-bit FFmpeg/libav. This might be sufficient for most Windows games use cases? Open to education about this.

I’m also not a gamer, however very rarely need wine for some devices or hands-free kits service proprietary applications which was developed for Windows or Mac only. Not sure they need 32-bit of course, but standard wine version from repo-oss does need them as a requirement.

I just installed wine from OSS (Leap 16.1)…

~> sudo zypper in wine
[sudo] password for dean: 
Refreshing service 'openSUSE'.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 7 recommended packages were automatically selected:
  cepces certmonger samba-gpupdate sscep wine-gecko wine-mono winetricks

The following 22 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  cepces cepces-certmonger cepces-selinux certmonger clinfo libcapi20-3 libOpenCL1 python313-gssapi python313-requests-gssapi python3-cepces python3-tdb python3-tevent samba-gpupdate samba-ldb-ldap samba-python3 samba-winbind samba-winbind-libs sscep wine wine-gecko
  wine-mono winetricks

22 new packages to install.

Package download size:   209.0 MiB

Package install size change:
              |     838.1 MiB  required by packages that will be installed
   838.1 MiB  |  -      0 B    released by packages that will be removed


and rpm -q --requires wine | grep -Ei '32bit|i586|i686' showed no 32-bit dependencies.

I’m not sure what your first post is about then. What is the basis for it?

I tried to remove ffmpeg 32bit packages but they are also force wine and wine-32bit to delete as wine depends on wine-32bit as well.

> rpm -q --requires wine | grep -Ei '32bit|i586|i686'
wine-32bit = 11.19

Ah, that explains the difference. I’m on Leap 16.x, where 32-bit packages are not supported by default, whereas Tumbleweed still does.

This might be worth considering for TW…

So you proposing to replace wine with wine-wow64? Yes, this allowed me to remove all the 32bit dependencies. Think now can migrate to VideoLan repo easily.

It also depends on what legacy software you might have to contend with.

These are worth a read…
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=42002
https://www.codeuk.net/notes-on-wine-10x-wow64