Windows 8 becoming not fully functional after installing OpenSuse

I am using Netbook, eMachines m355, INtel atom N455.

I’ve been dual booting Windows 7 and many linux distributions before, by using UNetbootin and Universal USB Installer. There was no issues before. I only had to use EasyBCD to write MBR in order for me to directly boot again to Windows escaping the GRUB/2 so I could delete linux partitions and try other distros.

But things go different with OpenSuse. Using ImageWriter corrupted my 8GB USB FlashDrive (maybe the MBR) and I could not use TestDisk to repair it. Hence, I could not use my flashdrive for booting LiveCDs again… including ISO images of Windows 7 and Windows 8. Only I could use it to boot the LiveCDs of OpenSuse and Manjaro.

Then I choose to use EasyBCD to once again write the MBR. It won’t work this time! Still, GRUB appears! And, the fast startup feauture of Windows 8 does not work anymore… when enabled, it does not shutdown/semi-hibernate but only brings me back to the login screen. I could not repair the MBR using VisualBCD, or even by using Windows 8 Startup repair, it is corrupted it says. I try to use the Windows 7 and 8 installer on Windows, but it got errors. Before, I could do that even without the LiveUSB.

Now, here is what I’d like to ask:

1.) How could I restore the original MBR of Windows 8 and totally get rid of GRUB. Please! The most important thing for me! I would like to boot directly to Windows 8. (Or could I manipulate the bootloader options of yast for this? How about GParted) I am planning to reformat my Drive C, and delete Linux partitions. Because after installing OpenSUSE, it created some “unallocated tiny partitions” after Drive C and Drive D. And I would install Windows 8 to Drive C. And then I will install OpenSUSE on a seperate desktop.
2.) Repair the corrupt partition/MBR of my USB. In Windows and Linux, it could be recognized as NTFS, FAT32, etc., and I could format it. But it’s unbootable except for Opensuse. Also, TestDisk says “no-Partition”

P.S.:

Pls do not misundertood me.I like Linux over Windows in many ways. It is just that I can not let my Windows lose some of its functionality. Thanks.
Maybe OPenSUSE has nothing to do with my problems. But please I need your help!

Here’s my partitions:

http://i.imgur.com/nFXeUKZ.png](http://imgur.com/nFXeUKZ)

Hi
Have a read here; How To Fix Windows 8 MBR (Master Boot Record) | Redmond Pie

Would be interested to see the output from parted or fdisk for the USB device assuming it’s still recognized by linux?

Does that have UEFI firmware, or does it have a traditional legacy BIOS?

I have not used Unetbootin, but I have come across reports of problems when using that with opensuse. I always use “dd_rescue” to copy the iso to a USB, though I did once use “imagewriter” (the linux version).

I’ll add that you have failed to mention which opensuse iso you were using.

As best I can tell, EasyBCD is not useful on a UEFI system. That’s why it would help to know if you have such a system.

The iso for opensuse 12.2 - 64bit, put a GPT partition structure on the USB, and that is harder to clear. The iso for 12.3 is back to a traditional MBR format, though still with an EFI partition. That’s why I want to know which opensuse version you are talking about.

On systems where Windows 8 is preinstalled, it has usually been installed to use UEFI firmware. Converting to legacy BIOS support will break that installed Windows 8. You would need to have initially installed Windows 8 in legacy BIOS mode for that to work.

If Windows 8 was originally installed in MBR mode, then you should be able to restore the original MBR from the file “/boot/backup_mbr” that the opensuse install created. Just use “dd” to copy to the MBR. But be warned that, since this overwrites the MBR, it could result in lost data. It is up to you to determine whether you understand what you are doing.

Does that have UEFI firmware, or does it have a traditional legacy BIOS?

I am sure it’s traditional legacy BIOS- no “mouse cursor” in the BIOS.

I’ll add that you have failed to mention which opensuse iso you were using.

OpenSUSE 12.3, 32-bit 1686.iso

On systems where Windows 8 is preinstalled, it has usually been installed to use UEFI firmware. Converting to legacy BIOS support will break that installed Windows 8. You would need to have initially installed Windows 8 in legacy BIOS mode for that to work.

It was preinstalled with Windows 7 starter. The manufacturing date was Nov. 2011.

If Windows 8 was originally installed in MBR mode, then you should be able to restore the original MBR from the file “/boot/backup_mbr” that the opensuse install created. Just use “dd” to copy to the MBR. But be warned that, since this overwrites the MBR, it could result in lost data. It is up to you to determine whether you understand what you are doing.

How do I use the “dd” command? What exactly are the risks? Will is involve the erasure of date of Drive C (Windows 8) only? or Will it also erase Drive D (My Files)? Would I be right that even if I use the back_mbr, it would still not restore the original mbr of Windows 8 because I have installed OpenSUSE at least three times? (one is my own from SuseStudio, the second one is OpenSUSE 12.3 which had error at login, so I installed it again)

Thanks so much!

I’ll note that ifacedown also sent his reply as a PM, and I replied that way, mostly with details about using “dd”.