Why is 11.2 out of beta???

Getting it to install and boot properly on a Compaq v2000 with Radeon Xpress 200m is an extreme challenge. Most people with my machine would most likely just **** it and go to another distro but it finally was able to work.

However the sound is of **** quality. When i close a window (with something playing) i get a sudden blast of sound at decibils that can send a shock through my body. Worse, there seems to be no way to change the sound server using the sound preferences as there was in 11.1.

Overall 11.2 feels more like a beta, and makes me hesitant to try future releases.

Zirnov wrote:

>
> Getting it to install and boot properly on a Compaq v2000 with Radeon
> Xpress 200m is an extreme challenge. Most people with my machine would
> most likely just **** it and go to another distro but it finally was
> able to work.
>
> However the sound is of **** quality. When i close a window (with
> something playing) i get a
>
sudden_blast_of_sound_at_decibils_that_can_send_a_shock_through_my_body.
> Worse, there seems to be no way_to_change_the_sound_server using the
> sound preferences as there was in 11.1.
>
> Overall 11.2 feels more like a beta, and makes me hesitant to try
> future releases.
>
>

I’m not sure what driver you have for the Radeon Express but I had trouble
with the default RadeonHD driver and the fix didn’t quite make it for the
final release. You could check the bug report to see if it’s anything like
the problems you’ve had.
http://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=547603#c22

As to the sound trouble, I had the same symptoms with 11.1. My experience is
that 11.2 is better as regards sound. In KDE, pulseaudio is no longer
installed by default and it was this software that gave me my audio problems
in 11.1. However, I believe it’s still included in Gnome.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
“I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.”

ATI did not provide drivers specific for the openSUSE-11.2 release (with the new kernel) even though there were milestone and GM releases with the 2.6.31 kernel previous. Typically if one waits a month or two after a release, then the drivers will be present.

From a support perspective, sound is a massive improvement over previous openSUSE releases. Even though the membership and post count on the forums are making record highs, the number of sound support requests are a small fraction of what we have had in the past.

Did you do a completely clean install ? Or did you keep your /home from previous installs ?

Create a new user account, log on as that user, and see if that new user has the same sound problems that you are experiencing.

I just tried on 4 different pcs (with completely different hardware) all with openSUSE-11.2 KDE-4.3.1 and I can NOT reproduce what you described.

Different bug. Im using the fglrx driver currently and it works fine, 3d enabled and everything. It may have switched or patched the driver during the last install because it had internet access the last couple times around and it was wanting access to update repos before…

Yes, pulseaudio is present in gnome. Looks like im stuck with it if i want to use suse

YES i did a fresh format of the root part but left /home untouched the first few times. I wasn’t aware this could cause any problems but the final install i did format it. However I suspect that to be different from the graphics issue because i found in the forums everyone complaining about the Radeon Xpress driver not working thus X too, and even after i got to boot into X i got errors regard no root or user password databases. The final install i formatted my /home part as well as change from ext4 to ext3 incase ext4 (delayed allocation) might have caused data loss (if it still does that?) because it hangs on install and i have to hard boot each time after installing even the successful last time.

Im on gnome though, not KDE and the sound is the worst part-- It’s absolutely unbarable. Using either OSS or ESD on 11.1 worked fine although the pops/blasts never happened on 11.1 even with the others (maybe just a lil crackliness)

Indeed many are struggling with ATI hardware. And those that have ATI hardware working with 11.2 may not have similar performance to what they had on 11.1. This gives me classic dejavu … How many times have we seen this in the past ? (ATI linux drivers lagging a new distribution ? ). Hopefully in the next monthly ATI proprietary graphic driver update (in December), some of the problems will be addressed by ATI.

This reads like a bad install. I don’t recall ever having seen such errors. Did you get any errors during your install ? I assume the CD/DVD passed the media check.

I’m not familiar with Gnome, but I know on one PC where I updated from KDE3 to KDE4 (but where the KDE3 /home had been used for experimentation with some early KDE4 versions) that the desktop was weird. I ended up changing users to solve that. What you have encountered appears different.

I’ve read the Gnome community have in essence handed over sound completely to the pulse audio developers (as opposed to KDE who have remained a step back) and hence Gnome users are more subjected to any of its development particularities. My not being a Gnome user there is not much advice I can give … especially if switching to KDE4 is not an option.

Uhh no you can use pulse in the KDE version, using it here.
its just not pre installed, but its easy enough to install and set up.
If you need a tutorial I can help you install and set up pulse.

I can see 3 problems;

1. You use GNOME.
  2. You have ATi (not to mention one that ATi dropped support for years ago, grats on that one).
  3. Because you use GNOME, you have PulseAudio.

All of which aren’t SuSEs fault, by the way.

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:46:01 +0000, Chrysantine wrote:

> I can see 3 problems;
>
> 1. You use GNOME.

Uh? Since when using Gnome is a problem? :slight_smile:

> 2. You have ATi (not to mention one that ATi dropped support for years
> ago, grats on that one).

ATI and Nvidia are both a headache. Intel has its own glitches, too.

> 3. Because you use GNOME, you have PulseAudio.

I think it can be disabled, at least in 11.1 users that uninstalled PA
got ESD, IIRC :-?

Anyway, the new “kernel-desktop” flavour should improve audio problems.

> All of which aren’t SuSEs fault, by the way.

That’s right.

Anyway, any problem with PA should go under Bugzilla.

Greetings,

Camaleón

Let’s compare the number of “nVidia doesn’t work” to “ATI doesn’t work” for Linux, shall we?

PA now has hardcoded dependencies in GNOME, you can’t remove it without uninstalling the entire Desktop Environment.

Yes, I know - who came up with that idea?

Indeed. You can find guidance for raising bug reports here: Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE

If you raise the bug report against openSUSE-11.2 component “sound” it will come to the attention of an alsa developer, although give that the problem may be pulse related, I do not know how much he can do. Still it is a place to start.

Looks like I can’t quote. oh well :stuck_out_tongue:

Fixed on web side. But NNTP users will miss the fix to the quote. But I assume they can figure it out. :slight_smile:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:06:01 +0000, Chrysantine wrote:

> noelamac;2074286 Wrote:
>> ATI and Nvidia are both a headache. Intel has its own glitches, too.

> Let’s compare the number of “nVidia doesn’t work” to “ATI doesn’t work”
> for Linux, shall we?

O.k, o.k… that’s true :slight_smile:

But we are also facing problems for nvidia cards (the forum is plenty of
messages about it) and recently, Intel chipsets were a completely no-go
with Xorg server.

> noelamac;2074286I think it can be disabled, at least in 11.1 users that
> uninstalled PA got ESD, IIRC :-?[/quote Wrote:[color=green]
>>
>> PA now has hardcoded dependencies in GNOME, you can’t remove it without
>> uninstalling the entire Desktop Environment.
>>
>> Yes, I know - who came up with that idea?

Well, under openSUSE 11.2 (Gnome) I can see an option in YaST to disable
PA (the same it was available under 11.1). Not sure if this is just
“cosmetics” but is there :-?

Greetings,

Camaleón

The problems on the NVIDIA side are 2:

1. Lots of times stable drivers appear months after start of sales. It must be said that beta drivers are available, but not from the repos.
  2. Once in a while they release a stable driver that fails on a lot of systems. IMHO 190.42 is such a driver. Works 50 out of 100 times. Beta 190.40 works on all NVIDIA cards.

Hello all

what to say for the nvidia 190.42 driver it is working for me

Its even possible to compile the driver for a kernel compiled with a different compiler version.

The older versions of the driver didnt have this as i recall

So if you install a 11.1 kernel on 11.2 190.42 cann be installed.

So till the kernel problems and sound network problems are not solved use the 11.1 kernel and the 190.42

If it’s no trouble, I’d be very interested to read more about that. I killed pulseaudio in 11.1 - I’m sooo glad not to have updated to 11.2 if that’s no longer an option.