Why aren't the community helping the wiki more?

They seem to be waiting on the Admin a lot (perhaps a vacancy), as in the identified Obsolete pages. Perhaps two people have to press the red button at exactly the same time…lol! Obsolete information is so nuclear.

Searching the Wiki’s I find to be an annoying test of patience.

Agreed on that. Each piece of bull**** leads to another pile, and the good stuff is hidden in a mire of obsolescence awaiting deletion. Then you feel life ebbing away…:yawn:

That is a serious problem which may require the intervention of a higher power to fix.

FeatherMonkey wrote:

>
>[snip]

This is just my 2 cents but I think it has part to do with the syntax. The
syntax used to create a wiki page isn’t the easiest to understand,
especially if you are new.

Second, I think the pages are buried. If you click on Discover It, it takes
you to the main wiki page. If you then click wiki, it takes you to the same
page you are on. You have to figure out that Support Database is the link
just to get to a section on how to browse. That will have the links to
actually get to the articles. I think that really needs to be streamlined.

Thirdly, I think there should be an effort to clean up. There was one in the
past and it started to gain momentum, but from what I know it died back
out. Those are a few of the reasons I think.

I raised all those issues over 2 years ago I’ve got no reason to believe it will change…

I agree about syntax but it only takes a couple of Wiki warriors my concern is if you actually look at the Wiki team some/most are developers in there own right…

I bet it goes … important Jobs…More jobs… Not so Important Jobs… Mailing Lists… Bugzilla… then we expect them to carry on with the wiki…

So I’m not surprised they don’t have the time. If so as mentioned the same goes for any where in the community it isn’t just a title if you don’t have the time give it up be you a Wiki editor, Mod, Devel etc…

Look at the far smaller team… http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ContactList but they’re proactive that is why i can find the INFO and it has structure, Suse wiki Structure sucks if it has any it’s beyond me…

FeatherMonkey wrote:

>
> I don’t get why when we only support for 2 years we have such
outdated
> pages, I don’t about you but I struggle remember back to 10.3 quirks
let
> alone 10.1(Lol oh yes the one I used smart with)
>

I agree here, I think pages should move to deleted once the support runs
out.

On Fri, 08 May 2009 18:06:01 +0000, FeatherMonkey wrote:

> I agree about syntax but it only takes a couple of Wiki warriors my
> concern is if you actually look at the Wiki team some/most are
> developers in there own right…

Syntax is easy to resolve. Install the FCKEditor plugin instead, then
the formatting is done like writing a doc in OpenOffice and the syntax is
hidden.

Jim

Excuse the unenlightened question, but can a user do that or is it a wiki fix?

I’m betting a ff plugin but checking now, but I won’t be using it for reasons stated earlier I suspect it’ll show the page as normal.

FCKeditor - Download

I mentioned syntax for people starting out.

I bet it goes … important Jobs…More jobs… Not so Important Jobs… Mailing Lists… Bugzilla… then we expect them to carry on with the wiki…

So I’m not surprised they don’t have the time. If so as mentioned the same goes for any where in the community it isn’t just a title if you don’t have the time give it up be you a Wiki editor, Mod, Devel etc…

Look at the far smaller team… ContactList - ArchWiki but they’re proactive that is why i can find the INFO and it has structure, Suse wiki Structure sucks if it has any it’s beyond me…

I agree, I think the wiki team needs to take a look at their ranks, see who wants to participate and remove those who can’t. They also need to find an admin that will actually go through the pages that need to be deleted.

Actually at the top of that page it says “It’s lightweight and doesn’t require any kind of installation on the client computer.” so that is something they would need to install on the wiki server.

Yeah I got there in the end so…

@hendersj how does this help us :wink:

Glad you posted that, i thought I understood that, now i am sure.:slight_smile:

On Fri, 08 May 2009 18:36:02 +0000, consused wrote:

> hendersj;1983321 Wrote:
>> Syntax is easy to resolve. Install the FCKEditor plugin instead, then
>> the formatting is done like writing a doc in OpenOffice and the syntax
>> is hidden.
>> Jim
> Excuse the unenlightened question, but can a user do that or is it a
> wiki fix?

That’s something the wiki administrators would need to installed. I’ve
played around with it a little on my own wikis, and it does make editing
a LOT easier, even if you know the wiki syntax.

Jim

On Fri, 08 May 2009 18:46:02 +0000, FeatherMonkey wrote:

> I’m betting a ff plugin but checking now

Nope, it’s available as a plugin for mediawiki.

Jim

On Fri, 08 May 2009 18:46:02 +0000, FeatherMonkey wrote:

> Yeah I got there in the end so…
>
> @hendersj how does this help us :wink:

Perhaps someone who edits the wiki should suggest that the admins look
into installing it in order to make it easier to edit the wiki and make
it more useful and up-to-date. :slight_smile:

Jim

Mmm I would say at the moment the consensus is lack of structure and superfluous pages… Rather than the need to add to them.

I suspect the lack of structure puts most people off, then you have why flag when it won’t be deleted…

As I said as an experienced user I don’t have a clue why Ati, Nvidia etc… isn’t in SDB, so god help someone who needs wiki syntax obscuring…

Not to mention navigating it from the front page takes some knowledge of Wiki’s.

But I’ve finished my little rant and if people feel they can make a positve change where I failed then next week there is some wiki bits with community week…

One of my other biggest issues with the wiki is there is no clear link to Howto’s, instead there is a clear link to SDB: which I don’t find as helpful or as full of articles as Howto’s.

@hendersj
Thanks, the Who’s using FCKeditor? has 14 pages of users with some big names included. I guess openSUSE is a bit behind the curve here.

For long time now, I always go straight to the HowTos, but often found stuff that was old or didn’t work. But generally superior to SDB. Overall for new user, all a bit confusing, although better now than when i first approached the wiki.

You’re just adding even more to the confusion so when is it a howto, when is it SDB take audio troubleshooting(I won’t mention most users will search with sound over audio) or just plain wiki?

Edit
LOL its the first time I’ve seen it by the way lol